Sign in to follow this  
Appyle

Colour mismatching when export from Gimp to DXTBmp

I was making some textures for FSX. Whenever I save it as DXT1 or DXT5, it always has some mismatched colours. It shows up fine in Gimp normally but changes colour after saving if I choose 24-bit R8G8B8 format. If I use the 32-bit A8 fomat, it turns up with a blue tint all over. If I use 32-bit X8 format, a yellow tint is applied when I import the image back to DXTBmp from Gimp. I will post screenshots below too. I am completely new to this so sorry if my questions are too easy to answer.

Here are the pictures for the texture issue:

What I made:
bus.png

What I got after saving:
bus_export.png

I am using DXTBmp and have made textures for other aircraft using this. Anyways I am also using Gimp for editing so which format should I normally export the Bitmap to
1) X8 R8G8B8 32-bit this adds a blue tint over it
2) A8 R8G8B8 32-bit this adds a yellow tint over it
3) R8G8B8 24-bit colour is fine and no tint but when I save it as this, the issue mentioned in the above post occurs. 

When you open a texture in DXTBmp and export it to your painting-program it will open in your paintingprogramm as a BMP  (named norm.bmp)
When you have finished your editing just SAVE the bmp ( NOT saving it to another format, just save and then import in DXTBmp again )

Your problem comes from the fact you save-AS in Gimp, you should just SAVE ( the norm.bmp as it is )
DXTBmp puts the texture into the GIMP as BMP and wants to get it back as a BMP.
If you follow this flow there will be no colorproblems.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Tried that as well. It shows up fine even when I reload image after edits. It only changes to that error when I save it and open it again.

I am using DXTBmp and have made textures for other aircraft using this. Anyways I am also using Gimp for editing so which format should I normally export the Bitmap to
1) X8 R8G8B8 32-bit this adds a blue tint over it
2) A8 R8G8B8 32-bit this adds a yellow tint over it
3) R8G8B8 24-bit colour is fine and no tint but when I save it as this, the issue mentioned in the above post occurs. 

Forget about what you wrote above.

Try this :  EXPORT the file from GIMP to your desktop as BMP and reload this BMP in DXTBmp.

The file gets exported from DXTBmp to GIMP as a BMP  and it MUST return in DXTBmp as a BMP

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Yep exported original dds from DXTBmp to Gimp, did that exact thing, just clicked on overwrite norm.bmp, and got the same result. I see it fine in Gimp and when I import back to DXTBmp but even inside DXTBmp when I click on preview, it has that error..... :( 

And thanks for your prompt response Leen! Been a real help! :)

I have done it in this order.

Selected a base white texture from teh default texture set and opened it in DXTBmp.
Exported the file to Gimp (Default editor)

Then I made the required changes to the texture and clicked on File>Overwrite norm.bmp which will keep current format and filename. 

After this I clicked on Image>Reload after Edits in DXTBmp and the edits loaded fine in DXTBmp.

gezldu

I tried clicking on Preview>DXT5 and got the following result.

gezlrj

OK reloading is no problem.

When it shows OK as imported BMP and it does not show correct as a preview, then it goes wrong IN DXTBmp.

Question.
Did you install the complete set of DLL files wich must be installed for Martin Wrights DXTBmp to work correct?

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Just installing the DXTBmp set-up is NOT enough ( as I already said above ) Did you install the complete set of DLL files wich must be installed for Martin Wrights DXTBmp to work correct?

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/

Download and install  MW_GFX DLL`s

Asking questions is not very efficient  when not reading the answers carefully icon_wink.gif

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Yep looks like I had all the DLLs installed. Anyways reinstalled and still got the same errors.

Sorry, I am afraid I have no more suggestions
If DXTBmp and the DLL set is installed correctly it simply should work.
I am using DXTBmp for countless years now and never experienced this phenomena NOR heard about it on the many forum I visit.

Leen
ps

You might contact Martin Wright ( creator of DXTBmp)  about the issue.
His e-mail adress must be found on his website.

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

I kept trying different options and in the Gimp Export As option, I clicked on do not write colour space information and it worked as in atleast the colour and alignment is correct. still a little pixelated on the edges i guess.

Regards,

Apoorv Pal

I've had the same problem, the color degradation with blue tinting going from Gimp to DXTBmp. What I do as a simple work around, after my work is done in Gimp I save the texture as a .bmp. Then I simply open it in MS Paint, then hit save. Then everything looks fine in DXTBmp when you open it to convert to the proper format. You will have to add the alpha channel back in.