Sign in to follow this  
vcarlo

P3D Install Question for the Experts

I am currently running Windows 7/64 installed on a standard W/D HD with my Prepar3D v4 installed on a separate 500 GB Samsung SSD.  My Windows 7 is showing her age and I am now ready to insert my new Мicrosoft Windows 10 Professional Edition 64 Bit OEM.

I want to install this W10 onto a separate Samsung SSD.  Can one of you kind folks advise me on what I need to do with my P3D installation after I have the new W10 up and running?  Do I start from scratch with a full uninstall and reinstall or do I just do the "old" uninstall "client" thing like we used to do for upgrading P3D to a newer decimal point version ?

Thank you for any advise and have a great day ! 

WAT1460.png

You will save yourself a lot of trouble if you uninstall P3D before you change OS and reinstall after. Same with your addons.

If you were doing an in place upgrade to the OS, it "might" get the registry entries correct but if you are installing to a fresh new drive the registry is gone.

So license info, paths etc need to be recreated.

There ARE ways of skipping some of this BUT one thing out of place and you need to start from scratch anyway so bite the bullet, save yourself some grief and uninstall/reinstall after the OS change.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi,

At least you will have to uninstall the client under Windows 7, otherwise you will probably have activation issues later.

Having said that, it's probably easier to uninstall everything (including add-ons). If you don't, you will have to export the registry entries for P3D and your add-ons under Windows 7 and import them back under Windows 10; copy and paste the relevant files and folders under %AppData%, %LocalAppData%, %ProgramData% and, and, and... Chances of success are slim when trying to migrate this way.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Thanks gentlemen.. I will go ahead and uninstall everything now.  I really want to get the W10 onto an SSD, so  I will take the extra time now to hopefully prevent any issues later on.

Thanks again :biggrin:

WAT1460.png

45 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

I am currently running Windows 7/64 installed on a standard W/D HD with my Prepar3D v4 installed on a separate 500 GB Samsung SSD.  My Windows 7 is showing her age and I am now ready to insert my new Мicrosoft Windows 10 Professional Edition 64 Bit OEM.

I want to install this W10 onto a separate Samsung SSD.  Can one of you kind folks advise me on what I need to do with my P3D installation after I have the new W10 up and running?  Do I start from scratch with a full uninstall and reinstall or do I just do the "old" uninstall "client" thing like we used to do for upgrading P3D to a newer decimal point version ?

Thank you for any advise and have a great day ! 

Uninstall client so that you can deactivate P3D.

If you have ORBX sceneries keep the old p3d installed until you copy relevant folders. That will save you time. There's a thread in the ORBX forums on how to do this.

After you are up and running with win 10 & p3d v4 you can decide what you want to delete.

BTW, I saw a performance and smoothness improvement when I made the move from win7u to win10 pro, but don't try to install FSX boxed DVDs. It will not install. they did not for me.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 hours ago, vcarlo said:

My Windows 7 is showing her age...

Hi 'vcarlo',

I would be interested to know why you made this statement? No disrespect intended, but moving 'up' to W10 for us flight simmers is not a pre-requisite for the achievement of great performance. Windows 7 64bit, arguably the greatest o/s produced by MS to date, also continues to deliver in spades, runs everything out there and, in my experience, is user friendly and rock solid stable.

Upgrading/reinstalling a poorly maintained o/s will always be a satisfying experience, at least initially, but you need to stay on top of things to ensure performance is maintained.

Those who, for their own perfectly valid reasons, have decided to take the plunge will, when challenged, usually seek to defend that decision with poorly supported argument. This is perfectly understandable and certainly not wrong. However, as things stand right now, they cannot say that Windows 10 offers anything that is genuinely new (apart from DirectX 12) for hobbyists and serious gamers that isn't already provided by Windows 7 64bit. IMHO, as a fast, stable modern platform for simmers and gamers Windows 7 remains just as capable as it's newer sibling....is fully supported and, in my experience, everything works!

Upgrading to Windows 10 now will avoid the hassle of feeling compelled to upgrade later when support is withdrawn by MS in January 2020. Until then why lose any sleep over it? 

I know I'm whistling in the wind and it is likely you will decide to upgrade anyway...probably!

Regards,

Mike 🤓

• Upvote 1

Don't know that I totally agree with you on this one Mike. W10 is much more stable now than W7 and changes to memory and disk management have only made it better. I wouldn't just run out and tell everyone they must upgrade to the latest and greatest but at the least, they shouldn't hesitate. It is a solid step up from W7.

Until recently I was running two very similar systems, one on W7 and the other on W10. I had far more issues with the W7 system in the long run. I have since switched both to w10 and not looked back.

Does it make a difference to P3D? I'd say yes but that's more from observation than any empirical testing or benching. Just "feels" better.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi 'vcarlo',

I would be interested to know why you made this statement? 

Regards,

Mike 🤓

Simple actually.  I have been getting sluggish response when trying to do anything.  My normal cleanups and defrags have not been effective in curing my W7 sluggishness and I have been wanting to put my OS on a new SSD anyways.  I recently had a couple of BSOD and this scared me enough to purchase the W10 disc.  I feel W7 has served me well for many a year but why wait for serious issues to develop when I can go ahead and put W10 on a new SSD and have a FRESH start :biggrin:

WAT1460.png

11 minutes ago, vcarlo said:

Simple actually.  I have been getting sluggish response when trying to do anything.  My normal cleanups and defrags have not been effective in curing my W7 sluggishness and I have been wanting to put my OS on a new SSD anyways.  I recently had a couple of BSOD and this scared me enough to purchase the W10 disc.  I feel W7 has served me well for many a year but why wait for serious issues to develop when I can go ahead and put W10 on a new SSD and have a FRESH start :biggrin:

Fair enough, thanks, I suppose I might feel the same should I encounter a similar set of circumstances. So far, so good; no complaints to date after >18months with my current rig.

Regards,

Mike

You could clone your W7 drive to an SSD and then upgrade W7 to W10, that should keep your registry intact.

2 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I wouldn't just run out and tell everyone they must upgrade to the latest and greatest but at the least, they shouldn't hesitate. It is a solid step up from W7.

Does it make a difference to P3D? I'd say yes but that's more from observation than any empirical testing or benching. Just "feels" better.

Vic

Hi Vic,

I'm sure it is and in time, as it matures, the transition to Win 10 will become a no brainer. Maybe I've been lucky or perhaps the combination of Windows 7/64 along with my careful selection of high grade components and software installations has assured the consistently excellent global performance and stability experienced.

As to whether the choice of o/s (W7 versus W10) influences the performance of a highly modded P3Dv4 in any significant way, I remain doubtful as both are running the same 64bit code with the same prerequisites required at first install. Yes, changes to memory and disc management might have some positive effect, but "feels" better is a subjective rather than an empirical validation of the argument. A side by side comparison would be necessary.

I have no doubt I will be persuaded to upgrade in a couple of years or so, just not now. 

Incidentally, why are our signatures with system specs no longer visible? It was a handy feature as it allowed us to make useful comparisons of some post content based on variations in our hardware. Concerning hardware, just as the performance of inefficient coding can be mitigated, I wonder whether running a relatively potent rig minimises any differences as might be seen under different o/s? 

Regards,

Mike

1 hour ago, Cruachan said:

Incidentally, why are our signatures with system specs no longer visible?

I see yours and others. Perhaps a setting in your control panel?

5 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I see yours and others. Perhaps a setting in your control panel?

Ah, that was it, silly me. Strange, I wonder how that could have happened? Perhaps W7 has taken on a life of its own and is attempting to undermine my arguments...lol

Thanks,

Mike 🤔

13 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi 'vcarlo',

I would be interested to know why you made this statement? No disrespect intended, but moving 'up' to W10 for us flight simmers is not a pre-requisite for the achievement of great performance. Windows 7 64bit, arguably the greatest o/s produced by MS to date, also continues to deliver in spades, runs everything out there and, in my experience, is user friendly and rock solid stable.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Nothing more to add other than Win 10 is the best OS from MS I ever had. :-)

There will always be the nay sayers. When W7 came out there were many who swore by the vastly superior Windows XP. Prior to that, it was Windows 95. I could remember running W3.11 and people could not understand why anyone would abandon MSDOS.