Sign in to follow this  
vcarlo

P3D Install Question for the Experts

4 hours ago, swiesma said:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Nothing more to add other than Win 10 is the best OS from MS I ever had. :-)

😉

I decided to refresh my memory regarding what's on offer from Windows 10:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/windows-10-vs-windows-7-2927022

Reading through that article reassures me that my decision remains perfectly sound. Gaming performance advantages by upgrading are minimal, if at all, and that really is the crux of my argument. My desktop PC is primarily a gaming and simming machine. I don't need all that shiny new stuff offered by Windows 10. I just need a reliable and fast o/s with which I am perfectly comfortable and allows me to do what I need it to do and without any fuss. Windows 7 continues to satisfy that requirement. For me Cortana is unnecessary and Firefox fulfills all my browsing requirements. 3rd Party supplies anything else I may require from time to time.

Okay, Windows 10 boots faster. So what? On my rig Windows 7 boots to the desktop in 40 secs and is useable immediately thereafter. 40 secs is but a brief moment in the scheme of things and us barely noticed as you ready yourself for action. Loading times from my SSDs under W7 are great and I doubt whether W10 can do much better...unless you have an M.2 device installed. Again, I could do that if I wanted, but do not feel there is any need. Performance is already fast enough.

Windows 7 still holds the major market share over Windows 10 and is well supported by all the software houses and hardware manufacturers. MS attempt to suggest otherwise, but then they would say that as their mission is to 'encourage' us all to upgrade sooner rather than later. 

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-desktop-market-share-stays-flat-for-february-2017

I accept that I am arguing from a position of weakness in that, to date, I have had minimal hands on experience with Windows 10. Believe me when I state that I am not in any way critical of those who have opted to upgrade now rather than later. Really it's all about what I need an operating system to do for me and currently Windows 7 64bit satisfies all my requirements. I would be upgrading for upgrading sake and not because it was necessary to keep me current in the gaming and simming world.

Regards,

Mike

The improvements to the graphics core, networking, and bootup times came in with Windows 8. I liked Windows 8 and didn't agree with the hyperbole surrounding it. I've got Windows 7 on some systems but it's a bit of an old codger.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

33 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I've got Windows 7 on some systems but it's a bit of an old codger.

Hi Steve,

Ah well, there you have it! Perhaps it's a case of us 'old codgers' needing to stick together...lol

An electrician visited our home earlier today to replace a 5ft fluorescent light fitting which had developed a fault after nearly 50 years of use! "They don't make them like that anymore", he said. Modern equivalents have built in obsolescence which ensures early failure and hence more rapid market turnover. Sometimes being new doesn't guarantee the best long term experience. Mind you, not saying that applies necessarily to Windows 10 👹

Regards,

Mike

Just discovered how I lost those signatures. There is a small cross with a down arrow next to it at top right of your signature. If you hit that down arrow it reveals 'Hide all signatures'. I must have hit it by accident while typing a message on my iPad.

Mike

40 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Just discovered how I lost those signatures. There is a small cross with a down arrow next to it at top right of your signature. If you hit that down arrow it reveals 'Hide all signatures'. I must have hit it by accident while typing a message on my iPad.

Mike

so it wasn't w7 then, perhaps Cruachan 70+

bob

7 minutes ago, onebob said:

so it wasn't w7 then, perhaps Cruachan 70+

bob

Ouch!

Hey Mike, I hope you are keeping well - we are all young at heart.

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Hey Mike, I hope you are keeping well - we are all young at heart.

Yep, sure am, hale and hearty, claymore at the ready!

How about you, Steve? Looking forward to the visit to Hanger 1? Should be a fun weekend.

Cheers!

Mike 🤺 <---- best I could do..lol

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Yep, sure am, hale and hearty, claymore at the ready!

How about you, Steve? Looking forward to the visit to Hanger 1? Should be a fun weekend.

Cheers!

Mike 🤺 <---- best I could do..lol

Doing well my friend. You mean Cosford? Yes! :biggrin: