Sign in to follow this  
ninerwhiskey9W

Weather Engine for P3D v4

I've tested several different weather engines for FSX, P3DV3 and with all of them including now P3DV4 I've been using AS2016 and for the most part I've very happy with it.

HOWEVER.... rumor has it that REX is moving closer and closer to the release of Sky Force, and from what I know of this revolutionary new product it's supposed to be a real and true GAME CHANGER for flight simulation. I know, we've heard that before from other developers, but it's rare for me to say it!

So if you need to move to a new weather engine right now then I believe it's a Slam Dunk for AS2016.  But doing anything other than keeping a sharp eye on REX SkyForce then I believe you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice.

I know enough to be really, really excited about SkyForce and nothing more.  But it's rare for me to be truly excited about a new product. 

I'm interested in several upcoming products this year, but I'm excited about only three - REX SkyForce, Aerosoft A320 Series Update for P3DV4, and the Aerosoft A330 (FSX/P3DV3/P3DV4).  Well, four products, the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Professional update for P3DV4, because I've not had this incredibly impressive aircraft to fly since moving to P3DV4 and I really miss it!  Hey, that reminds me, the last time I said a product would be a game changeer" was the Majestic Dash 8 Q400 Professional and boy was it!!!

Best wishes to everyone.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

4 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

HOWEVER.... rumor has it that REX is moving closer and closer to the release of Sky Force, and from what I know of this revolutionary new product it's supposed to be a real and true GAME CHANGER for flight simulation. I know, we've heard that before from other developers, but it's rare for me to say it!

Hm, when I was reading your post I was thinking 'Yeah, right, REX, marketing blah blah and pretty video's' and things like that but I have to say you got me interested now. I wonder what you know that we don't know...!?

Concerning the Aerosoft Airbus: I thought it wouldn't be released before 2018? Am I wrong? (I have to add though that my main interest goes out to the FSLabs Airbus right now.)

Actually I thought REX Sky Force is a replacement for the internal weather system and will be driven by weather programs like Active Sky, FSGRW and Ideal Flight weather engine in the same way as they work now.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

"Sky Force - makes the clouds more realistic with completely new cloud models - not just textures."

It's more like ASCA or a combination of ASP4 & ASCA.

Maybe Tim will chime in.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

7 hours ago, J van E said:

Hm, when I was reading your post I was thinking 'Yeah, right, REX, marketing blah blah and pretty video's' and things like that but I have to say you got me interested now. I wonder what you know that we don't know...!?

Concerning the Aerosoft Airbus: I thought it wouldn't be released before 2018? Am I wrong? (I have to add though that my main interest goes out to the FSLabs Airbus right now.)

Hello Jan, thanks for your reply, and I certainly do understand.

It's difficult to know the person behind their posts, especially when you don't know them.  It's true that I work with a number of select developers (consultation, research and conceptual development, phased and RTM testing, and customer tech support).  But first and foremost I am a long time flight simmer who absolutely loves and is totally devoted to our hobby and many of the people in it. The sole motivation for everything I do and say in our community springs from my love of this incredibly hobby which has come to mean so very much to me over these past 30 years, and I believe that with at least some that I have a solid reputation for complete honesty and uncompromising ethics.

You are absolutely right, it's become increasingly difficult to determine whether someone's opinion is that of a word not allowed, marketing hype, or even whether someone's opinion is truly qualified or they're just a fan or hater. As for me, I just won't weigh in on a developer or product unless it's a qualified and unbiased opinion (or I state otherwise). I just won't ever intentionally mislead someone (in any area of my life), and I do everything I can to ensure I don't do so unintentionally.  In fact this is one of the reasons I started producing and hosting the Annual Flight Simulation Web Conference three years ago.

I stand behind my opinion about SkyForce, but I'm sorry to say that I'm legally restrained from saying anything more than "I recommend people keep a sharp eye on it" and that "I believe it will be a game changer".  That is just all I can say right now, but recommending that people keep an eye on an upcoming product is rather benign in of itself. Besides, there is no company in all of flight sim who stands behind their customers and supports their products like REX does.

I thank you again for your reply, and thank you for allowing me to address your concerns my friend.

My very best wishes to you!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

And I'm locking this one down now. Opinions have been voiced for the various players. Anything more will just be repetition.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors