Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Use Ortho? This addons for you

Removes the green yards from auto gen houses revealing the photo scenery below 

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/39590-photoscenery-autogen-for-xp11/

• Upvote 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Question:

Do I need to repeat this process every time I' getting a new Ortho4XP tile ?

& the installation, is it just dropping the entire Folder  "Photoscenery Autogen“ nothing else, right ?  

Tnx

Yair 

Speaking of "Green", I have trees all over, even on the Beaches, nice bot to realistic in SoCal, .....lol ... any idea how to get read of those ???

Just tried this. It definitely improves immersion level when using ortho scenery. Thanks for the heads-up.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Hmmm, I might be the only one who actually prefers the ground textures with the autogen. It hides the fact that none of the buildings actually line up with the orthos underneath, and fools me into thinking they do actually line up. But, hey, each to his own :gaul:

• Upvote 1

Erm - I believe the ortho should lineup with your auto gen - its not?  I suppose in some areas it won't but shouldn't it be?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Not for me, the buildings all face the road in perfect lines and don't line up with the orthos. Adding the ground textures masks the fact the autogen isn't accurate. It works well for me in either case

Interesting.  Some of my autogen doesn't line up but I thought that's because of a OSM USA issue.  In Europe I've seen videos in YT with amazingly accurate autogen placement on photo scenery.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Ah ok, think you're mixing up the default X-Plane autogen (that this addon is for) and World2XPlane scenery (those from Simheaven). The world2xplane scenery doesn't have ground textures and in most cases line up almost perfectly, but the default autogen is generated along roads, so it's pure luck if it lines up well.

9 hours ago, tonywob said:

Hmmm, I might be the only one who actually prefers the ground textures with the autogen. It hides the fact that none of the buildings actually line up with the orthos underneath, and fools me into thinking they do actually line up. But, hey, each to his own :gaul:

I don't think you're the only one. I looked at the before/after pictures and my immediate preference is before...with the green yards.

Oh?  Ok yeah I thought ag was aligned with photo scenery.  So only custom W2XP scenery is aligned?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Speaking of "Green", I have trees all over, even on the Beaches, nice bot to realistic in SoCal, .....lol ... any idea how to get read of those ???

At least for photoscenery, I recommend the forests download at Simheaven:

http://simheaven.com/?p=14918

Don't forget to buy them beer and pizza ... .

3 hours ago, exodus1977 said:

I don't think you're the only one. I looked at the before/after pictures and my immediate preference is before...with the green yards.

Looking at the straight down pictures on the download page, I was skeptical too, but, with nothing to loose, I gave it a try.  Of course the default autogen does not align perfectly with what is on the orthophotos; that I expected.  However, I was pleasantly surprised with the overall look.  

For one, the default autogen lines up surprisingly well with the underlying ortho scenery since the houses in X-plane are scaled well and the line up with the real world roads.

Second, the green lawns did not always blend well with the orthophotos. This is more pronounced in some locations than others, but, after removing them, the entire scene looks more natural to my eyes.  You will also see more backyard pools etc again.

Like most options related to scenery, this is not perfect, not as good as GB pro over orthophotos where every house is placed correctly using W2XP, however, in NA where the osm data does not place individual houses in most areas, I find this gives the most immersive experience yet.

I would recommend anyone using orthoscenery give it a try. You just might like it.

For me, it's a keeper.

Martin 

1 hour ago, jh71 said:

At least for photoscenery, I recommend the forests download at Simheaven:

I gave this a try for North America, but unfortunately was left with hardly any forests in the areas I tried. I guess the osm data for forests just isn't there for many areas. Still waiting for a better solution for placing trees and vegetation on orthoscenery.

Martin 

2 hours ago, turnandbank said:

Looking at the straight down pictures on the download page, I was skeptical too, but, with nothing to loose, I gave it a try.  Of course the default autogen does not align perfectly with what is on the orthophotos; that I expected.  However, I was pleasantly surprised with the overall look.  

For one, the default autogen lines up surprisingly well with the underlying ortho scenery since the houses in X-plane are scaled well and the line up with the real world roads.

Second, the green lawns did not always blend well with the orthophotos. This is more pronounced in some locations than others, but, after removing them, the entire scene looks more natural to my eyes.  You will also see more backyard pools etc again.

Like most options related to scenery, this is not perfect, not as good as GB pro over orthophotos where every house is placed correctly using W2XP, however, in NA where the osm data does not place individual houses in most areas, I find this gives the most immersive experience yet.

I would recommend anyone using orthoscenery give it a try. You just might like it.

For me, it's a keeper.

Totally agree with your entire assessment!  Much better!

A keeper for sure.  I mostly run now with Ortho4XP generated exclusively, overlay, and non-overlay scenarios.