Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

Took the Plunge...Expectations Far Exceeded

So in the future the conversion might go like this when approached by someone while your wearing your super new VR headset..

Someone say's "where do you live?"  I reply, "I live in a headset" someone asks, "Headset? isn't it a bit cramped in there?" I reply, "No, I have the whole world in there"

• Upvote 3

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I waned to add my 2c to this thread.

I picked up a Rift CV1 with touch controllers pretty cheap and thought I'd give it a go with P3DV4. 

Whilst I admit that there is something kinda cool about looking around the cockpit, I just could not get over the SDE. Yes the sense of immersion is pretty good, but the SDE really does kill it for me. That said, I'm coming from a 4K 49" TV. 

I'll put it back in the box and sell. Will see what happens in the 2nd Gen of VR devices.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Did you up the Supersampling? I reckon you need to adjust the settings before giving up.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

3 hours ago, KL Oo said:

I waned to add my 2c to this thread.

I picked up a Rift CV1 with touch controllers pretty cheap and thought I'd give it a go with P3DV4. 

Whilst I admit that there is something kinda cool about looking around the cockpit, I just could not get over the SDE. Yes the sense of immersion is pretty good, but the SDE really does kill it for me. That said, I'm coming from a 4K 49" TV. 

I'll put it back in the box and sell. Will see what happens in the 2nd Gen of VR devices.

I’d wait until P3Dv4.1 comes out before throwing it back in the box. Or at the very least wait for flyinside to be released for P3DV4.

Hopefully something good for VR uses in the next LM update of Prepar3D.

IM

Fair points. 

I did try adjusting the supersampling with OC Tray Tool. Up to 2.0  which helped a little bit but the SDE is still pretty apparent. It would also be nice to move into spot view but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

I'll try with Flyinside and 4.1 when it's released. Cheers guys,

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

On 8/31/2017 at 0:41 PM, VeryBumpy said:

How do you tolerate the frame rate and low resolution(reading dials, text)? After using 4k's sharpness, I can't imagine anything less.

Just bumping this very old comment when reading this thread.....

When you try VR, it's as though you're expectations shift instantly

You'll find yourself wondering why everyone became so obsessed with 4k crystal clear images because VR gives you something 4k cannot - complete immersion into the sim world

Sure, it'll be great when the resolution is improved, but the realism is so overwhelming you realise that the 4k setups are just 2 dimensional screenshot platforms

With VR you can step in the aircraft and fly it, and no amount of crisp 2D imagery can get anywhere near that experience

I just shuffled the furniture around at home, went back into VR, got up out of the cockpit seat and walked to the back of the plane

That's pretty mindblowing and frankly, who cares about high resolution when you can do that

• Upvote 3

I agree with you. However sometimes I just feel the need to fly the flat screen, to once again enjoy the spoils of 4K clarity and eye candy that just isn’t there (yet) with VR.

Best of both worlds.

ICE

• Upvote 1

i agree, the 2D experience is still as good as it always was

VR is not a replacement currently, it's just a whole new way of enjoying PC flight sims

it's a shame that the native VR in P3D isn't as good as Flyinside because with the native you can switch in and out of VR on the fly

Meaning you can mix VR for a single flight - taxi and takeoff in VR, cruise in the 2D/4k view, then return to VR for landing and taxi

the video showing upcoming VR support in Xplane is really impressive

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EGLD said:

it's a shame that the native VR in P3D isn't as good as Flyinside because with the native

Do you find that when using Flyinside in P3Dv4 that it reduces the resolution so the gauges are only just readable, whereas native gives much you better clarity. I'm using a Pimax 4K unit and find it really annoying loosing the higher resolution in native.

I've manually set a higher resolution in the FI ini file but this doesn't seem to help much. I'm guess they drop the res down to keep the FPS up.

Ice  

VR is the future try aerofly fs2 and take the default 747 for a spin, .... mind blowing...

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram