Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

YouTube videos for free payware addons

I have just come across a YouTube video describing how to download FlyTampa Amsterdam Schiphol for FREE. I then noticed that there were more videos with FREE download instructions for other payware addons (eg. the PMDG 747-400 QOTSII). Do the owners of YouTube need users to report videos of this kind to get them removed? Blatant disregard for someone else's intellectual property on a public site like YouTube is unacceptable.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have only just found the Report button. It looks like "..." on my screen. I am just surprised that videos of this type are not taken down almost instantly. The FlyTampa Amsterdam video that I noticed was uploaded on July 6, but there is another one that was uploaded on January 15!! Then there are two "free download" videos for the PMDG 747-400 v3 dated March 5 this year, and 2016 December 6. It baffles me why they have not been reported yet...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I note that the only relevant option for reporting is "infringes my copyright". I assume that this is the one I would use, even though it is FlyTampa's copyright that is being infringed?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

This and other "Youtubers" who steal other peoples' videos, reupload them and then earn advert revenue from them. Keep clicking that report button :)

It would be more useful if there was an option to "report software piracy". Quite why this is not an option already is baffling.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

31 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

It would be more useful if there was an option to "report software piracy". Quite why this is not an option already is baffling.

Probably because Youtube aren't actually pirating anything.  Showing someone how to do something is not the same as actually doing it.  Youtube will take the videos down because they are in breach of it's terms and conditions, but i wouldn't want to give Youtube the chance to become even more censorship happy given how they have reacted to the recent political discussions, sledgehammer and nut spring to mind.

Ian R Tyldesley

Youtube aren't prating anything, but by allowing the videos to stay up they are seen to be condoning the piracy which should upset them. I say SHOULD... yet they continue to censor other things - free speech and opinions...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

In my experience, the software author is required to report piracy.  Some of my freeware add-ons were pirated and I had to go thru great lengths to prove I was the author with some sites demanding my source code, which I did not provide.  Sometimes the sites themselves seem to turn a blind eye to piracy and seem to solicit the hits they receive from those intending to pirate, maybe for advertiser satisfaction.

John

• Upvote 1

We've spent countless hours battling this crud on Youtube.

The good in all this however is that the folks who are in charge follow through with the removal of the reported video, or in some instances completely remove the infringing channel. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

The best way to fight this is to notify the author of the payware product (if your query to youtube seems to be ignored).  The author is in a position to determine whether the post infringes on their copyright or source of income.  Some authors look the other way if the pirates are minimal in quantity, not finding it worth the trouble to complain.  I only complain if someone tries to sell my freeware for profit, in clear violation of the license.  I haven't had to do that in years since most of my freeware was written for FS9/FSX or was written for use in schools in the case of Spirapaint and mirrorart.

John

17 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I have just come across a YouTube video describing how to download FlyTampa Amsterdam Schiphol for FREE. I then noticed that there were more videos with FREE download instructions for other payware addons (eg. the PMDG 747-400 QOTSII). Do the owners of YouTube need users to report videos of this kind to get them removed? Blatant disregard for someone else's intellectual property on a public site like YouTube is unacceptable.

actually  a  few  years  ago i sent  a support  ticket  to pmdg  stating  this  and  their  reply  was  thanks  for  notifying  us  but  there  is  nothing  we  can  do  about  it

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

1 hour ago, pete_auau said:

actually  a  few  years  ago i sent  a support  ticket  to pmdg  stating  this  and  their  reply  was  thanks  for  notifying  us  but  there  is  nothing  we  can  do  about  it

That's pretty shocking. I'm sure an email from PMDG to the author would have frightened them off, but there is so much piracy out there now that they'd be constantly policing the Internet. I think ORBX had the right idea on how to deal with pirates, i.e. Delete all their ORBX scenery when it's detected :biggrin: (Funny that these same people then went to Avsim or the ORBX forum and complained their scenery had disappeared)

6 hours ago, tonywob said:

That's pretty shocking. I'm sure an email from PMDG to the author would have frightened them off, but there is so much piracy out there now that they'd be constantly policing the Internet. I think ORBX had the right idea on how to deal with pirates, i.e. Delete all their ORBX scenery when it's detected :biggrin: (Funny that these same people then went to Avsim or the ORBX forum and complained their scenery had disappeared)

Thats  the  trouble  remove  one  and  another  will  come  up  its place.  Yep  orbx  had  the right  idea   pity  they  didnt  go one  step further in  making  all  files  corrupt  on the pc  once  the  pc  detects  a pirated  version:biggrin:

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg