Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

New GTN Purchase - Installed - Black Screen - [now it works]

I need some wisdom on how to get this thing working please.

I have the GTN for P3DV4 installed, with the trainer.

I bought the same for XP11. Downloaded and installed easily.

Loaded up a flight, turned on the app via the menu's, nothing, nadda, black.

I have avionics working, build in GPS is on.

I changed planes, I rebooted my computer nothing.

I did not reinstall the trainer as I have it installed already with my P3D and FSX.

Do I have to reinstall the trainer?

Is there some code somewhere that needs to be modified?

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I have read several early posts about this issue.

I must say I am finding this particularly complicated.

I finally found the log files, there is no reference to the trainer installed as I think the manual says there should be.

My entire contents is:

17/08/31 18:19:01.232 04784 -    ] # win.xpl version 2.4.6.0

I have the trainer installed for P3DV4 and FSX GTN. I am really concerned if I reinstall the trainer it will screw up my P3D setup. But I have not idea, the documentation provided is unclear about this issue it just refers to if you have to setup a second trainer (why?) you can put it in some other location (why) and then I think manually edit the log files (why), this it way to complicated.

So I still don't know what to do?

1. can I try adding the lines of the current trainer location in the manual to the log file? does the time stamp have to be the same?

2. do i install another trainer? Do I overwrite the one I already have? Do I HAVE to install into another location and have to edit the log file to reflect that new location?

More to the point why didn't the installer recognize I have the trainer installed and why didn't it put those lines into my log file?

Near CAM3

At no time did the installer ask me to install the trainer. I did read however that one could download it from the provided link in the installer, but I did not do that because I have an updated trainer installed already, and saving myself a couple gigs of data.

So I give up I am downloading another copy of the trainer.

Good gravy this is not pleasant! Frustration growing! This should have been easy. The manual starts off with how to use the GTN instead of describing clearly how to install, listing all file locations, listing clearly what code syntax is needed and should be showing in the log files, providing some detail on what if it doesn't work, then try this try that etc.....I suggest an improved manual might be useful to avoid users spending what for me is now hours trying to figure this all out. I also found that my Norton 360 for instance had removed a dll file which I restored, I have no idea if it impacted the app or not because the app still isn't working.

My P3DV4 install of GTN was smooth as glass, worked from the minute I installed it by comparison.

Bryan

Near CAM3

1. An earlier post below on another tread. I have the most up to date trainer. What might be the "right Trainer"?

2. I had no trainer downloaded with the RXP GTN Touch, I did however had a link in the installer window to go and get one if it was needed which it was not. Is there a special version?

3. And please clarify what would someone need two trainers?

Posted October 16, 2016 · Report post

Well it looks like you have not installed the right Trainer!

Just make sure to install the trainer that is downloaded with the RXP GTN Touch.

Should you need to install 2 different Trainers, please make sure to review the RXP GTN Touch manual for a step by step procedure.

Near CAM3

Hi Bryan,

Let me try to assist.

First and foremost, if the installer didn't offer to download not to install a trainer, there is a good chance you already have one installed which is detected being ok.

You can manually cross-check easily:

1) the user's manual gives you the compatible trainer version (p2 - System Requirements): Compatible trainer versions: v6.21, 6.1.1. 6.1 

2) You have a trainer installed, open the folder where it is, right click the GTN simulator.exe file, select properties or similar, this opens an inspector window. On the inspector, select "version" or "details" or similar, and lookup the file version number.

3) Is the file version number found in 2) in the list in 1) above? This should answer the trainer version question.

Should you find out the version you have installed is not correct:

4) Is your other product compatible with any of the above versions? If positive, then proceed and update your other product.

5) You do not want to update the other product? You'd then have to manage 2 trainer versions, and our products supports this. It is more involved, but at least our solution permits you managing two different trainers (or more). This is in the User's Manual

Once more thing about the installer:

If you review carefully what's written in the installer on the final page, right before it copies the files, it shall clearly spell out if it has detect a "valid" trainer is already installed or not. (see 1) above for "valid")

About the log files

There is nothing more to understand about our log files than what they are: log files. There is nothing to manually change in the log files either. These files are re-created anytime you run the simulation, and are meant to contain diagnostic information in case of problem.

The GTN for X-Plane maintains 2 log files: "rxpGtnSim.dll.log" and "rxpGTN.xpl.log". The former is related to the trainer, the latter to the plugin. The one shown in your post is the latter. What about the former?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thank you for responding.

I have the most uptodate trainer installed before getting the RXP version of GTN: File version: 6.21.0.0.

Here are my log files...they are empty of but the version...

rxpGtnSim.dll.log

17/08/31 19:21:26.878 12300 -    ] # rxpGtnSim64.dll version 2.4.6.0

rxpGTNxpl.log

17/08/31 19:21:24.743 12300 -    ] # win.xpl version 2.4.6.0

Question:

Should I try uninstalling everything including the most recent trainer version? And the rxp GTN?

Please advise of a logical approach to diagnosing this issue because I've tried everything except starting completely over, I am fearful it might screw up my Flight1 GTN for P3D.

Here is the text from the installer:

Reality XP GTN 750/650 for X-Plane
Please ensure X-Plane is not running during the installation. Setup guides you through all the steps necessary to install the product and its components.
The first time the product installs, setup downloads the Garmin GTN/GDU 620 PC Trainer software installer from the Reality XP servers for your convenience, and save a copy on your hard drive. Should you need to reinstall the product and/or the Garmin Trainer, setup will offer the choice to use the saved Garmin Trainer installer directly from your hard drive or to download a new copy. The latest compatible trainer installer link is:
http://download.garmin.com/software/GTN_GDU620PCTrainer_6211.zip
Documentation
Product documentation is installed in: All Programs/Reality XP. Please take the time to read these manuals completely, so that you can become properly acquainted with the product, its configuration and its operation.
Support
We have thoroughly tested the application with several different system configurations, and that our software has no known issues, but we can’t ensure the application is “bug-free”. We will address the reported issues as they arise and apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime.
http://www.reality-xp.com

This product requires X-Plane 11, 10.50+, v9.41+.
This product requires Garmin GTN/GDU Trainer v6.21, v6.01.1

Inclusion of Garmin copyrighted material in this presentation does not imply any endorsement by Garmin Ltd or its affiliates of the flight training material provided by Reality-XP.

AND

Selected components:
      Product Files and Plugin for X-Plane 11

X-Plane 11 location:
      F:\X-Plane 11

Destination location:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GTN Simulation\X-Plane

Garmin GTN/GDU PC Trainer is already installed

I am heading to bed now but will be back online in about 8-9hrs. Not sure where you are located, but please feel free to provide me some guidance on this while I am snoozing. Thanks.

I just don't get why its not turning on, could there be some other computer function interfering?

Near CAM3

At least everything seems normal both from the installer and the logs.

Something you might try: Plugin | Reality XP GTN | Settings... for the device, then check the screen brightness and set this to 95% (not 100%, not 0%). We've identified an edge-case with the way this is handled while working on our Flight Sim version, and I just want to make sure although it looks normal, it is indeed not internally computing 0% brightness.

There is another possibility: we have a fix which is being deployed in our GNS V2 for Flight Sim, which also applies to our GTN. It is related to the power on/off handling which seems to have a problem on few systems. It seems to be ok so far for the GNS V2 and we are preparing the integration of this fix in our X-Plane versions .

You might want to try out cycling the avionics off/on/off/on and see if it ends up powering on the device. If it does, this would confirm the issue is related to what I've just mentioned above.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Good morning. This is what I did this morning.

Every interesting results. I updated my flywithlua from 2.6.2 to 2.6.3.

I did what you said, adjusted the brightness, no change.

I did and had tried the cycle the avionics on and off, no change.

I switched the gauge to always on, no change.

I switched to my Aero Commander plane....AND THE GAUGE IS WORKING. Why I do not know.

So I switched back to my twin Otter, and the default Stinson. AND THE GAUGE IS NOW WORKING and wasn't before.

What the heck was that all about? I have no idea.

So now if I switch off my avionics and on the Saitek switch turns the guage on an off as it should.

OK more testing required but I seem to be up and running. Tried two gauges and both work and can be adjusted independently.

Thanks for your patience on this issue. I hope what I posted above is helpful in some way.

• Upvote 1

Near CAM3

I am very very happy again!

Near CAM3

I'm glad all is working fine with your system now!

I'd suspect there is something with these aircraft which alter the X-Plane datarefs or the plugins in some way, and this would make the GTN fails to display. Now, the log files don't show anything wrong, so it might just be a video card / OpenGL issue of some sort (i.e. either they change the OGL state and don't revert it back, or, we don't). 

I'd like to be able to pin point this issue though, because it might affect other customers.

3 minutes ago, RXP said:

I'm glad all is working fine with your system now!

I'd suspect there is something with these aircraft which alter the X-Plane datarefs or the plugins in some way, and this would make the GTN fails to display. Now, the log files don't show anything wrong, so it might just be a video card / OpenGL issue of some sort (i.e. either they change the OGL state and don't revert it back, or, we don't). 

I'd like to be able to pin point this issue though, because it might affect other customers.

Is there anything I could send you that might be useful? Because I don't understand the datarefs stuff. I do have several plugins, for saitek panel, realistic pro, navigator, slew etc.

Near CAM3

It might prove impossible to repro, but just to make sure, you've initially tried the GTN with either a "Twin Otter" or a "Stinson", and it is only when you've tried with the Aero Commander it started to display and now it is always displaying?

What are specifically these two aircraft (Twin and Stinson) you are flying with?

Are they XP11 compatible?

On 9/1/2017 at 0:17 PM, RXP said:

It might prove impossible to repro, but just to make sure, you've initially tried the GTN with either a "Twin Otter" or a "Stinson", and it is only when you've tried with the Aero Commander it started to display and now it is always displaying?

What are specifically these two aircraft (Twin and Stinson) you are flying with?

Are they XP11 compatible?

Sorry real world things have kept me busy.

To answer your questions:

- yes on the first one.

- second question, RWDesigns-DHC6 DHC-6 Twin Otter 300 Series specifically an XP11 compatible plane, .Nimbus-Aero500S Aero Commander 500S for XP11, and stock xp11 install Stinson L–5 Sentinel (comes with the sim).

- third, yes all compatible.

Having said all this two things now seem relevant.

1. I notice on a cold reboot that my XP11, top right corner has a "lau stopped working" label. My GTN not working. I use the menu reload lua option and my GTN fires up.

- I am not sure why the  lua would stop working, what actually controls this as I have the most recent install and several well known plugins which I would think are not a problem, more research into this is needed by me.

2. I had not fired up my P3DV4 since the install of RXP GTN. I just did this morning and my other GTN is now not working. Arggg. Haven't looked into this yet but darn off and frustrating.

Bryan

Near CAM3

Here I sit, trying to enjoy some flying before my day gets hectic.

THE GTN IS NOT WORKING, AGAIN!

This is one of the most frustrating things I have every experienced in simming.

I don't know where to go, blame XP11, blame the gauge, blame the lua scripts thingee.

Bryan

Near CAM3

I fire up the sim this morning.

My default has the GTN installed.

NOT WORKING, AGAIN!

I flick switch, avionics blah blah blah. Nadda, nothing.

This is one of the most frustrating experiences in simming I have ever had and I've had quite a few over the decades.

I don't know where to put the blame...the GTN gauge, the XP11 sim, the darn lua scripts thingee.

I start a flight and shortly I have a "lua stopped" label in the top right corner, I have no idea what that's about, I click more menu items try reloading scripts,  try reloading the lua engine, nadda.

MY GTN is not working period! Nothing I do turns it on.

Where the heck does someone start with all this?

Today I'm angry! This sim is now wasting my valuable time. I don't want any more tweaking I want it to work.

I have done nothing but follow instructions and installs as directed.

Poppy cock!!

Near CAM3