Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Favorite real world flight route

I've flown a lot both trans continent (North America) and Transatlantic.  A couple of my favorite flight routes are from Phoenix to Orlando, followed by San Francisco to Reno.  I like the variety of scenery changes on those routes.  Transatlantic routes not so much because of the over ocean segments, although when I flew home from London to Phoenix in June I spied Hudson Bay, still packed with ice even in the early summer.  SFO to Reno is a fun route because you transition from ocean to farmland to alpine scenery in a very short time.  Also fun is Phoenix north to Salt Lake city because you fly directly over the grand canyon at FL350, pretty breathtaking.

In Europe my favorite route is from Frankfurt to Milan, straight over the central alps.  Also Zurich to Geneva, along the alps.  I've flown all these routes in real life and in the sims as well.  In South America I like to fly from Porlamar on Margarita Island to Canaima.  I flew that route in 1990 while I was working in Venezuela.  Sad that country has become so oppressed since I have been there, my friends there are in the resistance.

John

London to Paris is one I fly quite often as it was one of the first I ever did... Quite like doing London to Amsterdam too because its the one that I got to grips with the PMDG 737 via. the tutorial, am from London myself hence why the majority of my flights go from either Heathrow or Gatwick but enjoying departing Amsterdam these days because of the size of the airport as a whole.

I stayed at a Raddison near Schiphol in June, the Raddison Blue, and I was amazed at the size of the airport.  I took the train from the airport into central Amsterdam (had to change trains, only cost about 5 Euro each way), about a half hour trip including the train transfers.  I once flew from Gatwick to Amsterdam on a BAC-111 in 1984, British Caledonian.  It was my first and only flight on a BAC-111, quite interesting and a short hop in the overcast.  Schiphol just emerged from the haze as we traveled eastward.

SFO to Vegas was also an interesting flight, tons of scenery to cross over as you transition from the bay to California farmland, then to the Sierras and on to the desert.  Funny story, I had to fly to Vegas to complete an IT project.  No sooner did I land in Vegas did I find my boss telling me on voicemail to fly back to SFO, my client had postponed the project at the last minute.  I ended up on the same plane I was inbound on, much to the surprise of the flight attendants.  We all had a good laugh about it but what was a 600 mile trip turned into a 1200 mile tour of Nevada and California.  At least I got a brief shot at the one-armed bandits in the airport, LOL.

John

KJFK-HECA.  Leave at 2130 local and force yourself to get up just before the descent over Alexandria and view  the Pyramids of Giza on final approach.

• Upvote 1

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

The other one might be JFK to LIRF or LGAT (yes the old one) and try to spot people (topless) on the beach.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I have a few but one of the ones I really like is Anchorage to Ontario.  UPS route in the MD11 or 747.  Reasonable time and really enjoyable departure over the mountains of Alaska plus a difficult approach into KONT on the Ziggy arrival where slowing down is a challenge and a half.

Another one I always have enjoyed is British Airways EGLL - LIRF.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Air Hauler really helps you discover the lands.  I remember having an operation in the Northeast USA and flying between fells on approach in my C208.  What a thrill it was.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Closest I came to Alaska was routing over the Aleutians on my way from SFO to Tokyo back in '92.  Had to be the most boring route I had ever been on, all over Ocean except for the last part, where I enjoyed Mt. Fuji coming into view as I approached Narita.  Had to continue on to Guam, three more hours of over ocean flight.  But one nice thing Northwest did was an automatic upgrade to business class from Narita to Guam and back again.  Northwest also put me up in a hotel near Narita on the way home due to a long layover.  A fellow passenger directed me to their courtesy desk telling me they would give me a free hotel and meal voucher, which they did.  I did not have to pay to go to Guam, I went there for a final interview at a resort, and they paid for me to fly out.  I decided against the job once I found out the cost of living and rentals on the island were sky high, over $1500 for a studio in '92 dollars.  Everything there was built of 12 inch thick concrete to survive the typhoons and earthquakes that often hit the island, just off the Mariana trench.

My father was stationed in Guam at the end of WWII.  I am sick and tired of the North Koreans threatening the island, my father fought in the Korean war and I know he was dismayed by the outcome all his life.  I hope they understand what mutual assured destruction means, although if we go to military action against them I hope we find a way to spare their civilian population which is just in the wrong place at the wrong time, enough of politics though, there are those in charge paid to handle all that.

John

4 minutes ago, bic said:

Air Hauler really helps you discover the lands.  I remember having an operation in the Northeast USA and flying between fells on approach in my C208.  What a thrill it was.

I usually just free flight when I want to explore, choosing a different location at random for many flights.  I love flying in the alpine countries in Europe in both P3d and Xp-11.  Lots to explore there, great mesh and landclass textures.  In California I like flying the Sierras, always fun.

John