Sign in to follow this  

Is there any improvement to take i7-8700K instead of i7-4790K for P3D V4?

7 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

I was "simming" on a laptop! And had great performance. I now have a gaming PC (7700k, 1080ti) and it cost me a lot! And the next month, the "new" motherboards and CPU's are coming out! And from my laptop to my new PC, I don't see any major difference! I can get 30fps instead of 22 fps! So don't chase the chips! P3D is quite CPU dependent and from laptop to desktop I see no appreciable change.

Thanks,Peter!

8 hours ago, Cargostorm said:

I think a CPU upgrade must be seen in context with your video card , which seems to be more imporant for rendering etc. in V4. My assumption is that you will not gain so much more fps just because the processor has more cores/threads. At the end it might be that you invest many $$$ for only a little gain, which in the end you will not even recognize during a normal flight.

I do also have a 4790K but will wait 2 to 3 years with an upgrade until we really move a big step forward, also in terms that P3D is fully able to use the benefits of a new architecture.

Thanks,Keller!

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

I would still not give to much credits to higher number of cores for P3Dv4. However, the i7-8700K will be a little bit faster than the i7-4790K just due to the architecture. So, if you are ok to buy a new rig (or new CPU plus MoBo) only after the release of the i7-8700K, I would definitively go for this. If you want to save some money, go for the i7-7700K instead. The i7-4790K I would not consider anymore, as this would also mean to use DDR3 instead of the current DDR4 RAM (which also makes some % difference in performance).

Thanks,AnkH!

I have had great success with P3d with a 7700 3.6 GHZ cpu and a 1060 3 Gig card.  Graphics are very fluid.  Anything above my specs should work very well with P3dv4.  I've locked my fps at 33 and they stay stuck on that mark throughout my flights with all sliders right, except for autogen which I don't like in P3d,  never liked it really.  Also I haven't enabled AI although I might try that soon to see what impact it has on my performance.

John

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Whilst any SSD will certainly speed up the OS and the initial loading of the sim, it makes minimal difference to the in-flight performance which is still mainly CPU dependent. When I changed to an SSD, FSX loaded significantly faster but there was no noticeable improvement in performance. I don't have P3D v4 so can't comment directly on that but unless you're regularly loading huge, high-res ortho tiles I'd be surprised if it's that different.

I can honestly say SSD's were a performance boost for me in terms of smoothness. I didn't gain in FPS however texture loading was faster and as a result it got rid of some stutters for me.

On 9/1/2017 at 3:34 AM, Peter Webber said:

What annoys me about technology (although it shouldn't) is manufacturers advertising "the best!, the fastest!, the latest!, the greatest! And already when you purchase, they are already working on the next level of "the best!, the fastest!, the latest!, the greatest!". And then the latest from 2 months ago is no longer compatible with the "latest" motherboards. The I7700k is wonderful with P3D v4. Don't fool yourself into spending Dollars for the "latest and greatest". 2 months from now, there will be another iteration of "latest and greatest!". 

This has been going on for a very long time. The same with the I-Phone. What version are on now? I-Phone 7 ? or 8 or 9?  

On 1 September 2017 at 10:03 PM, branks737 said:

I can honestly say SSD's were a performance boost for me in terms of smoothness. I didn't gain in FPS however texture loading was faster and as a result it got rid of some stutters for me.

I had no problems with stutters or jerkiness prior to upgrading to an SSD so, for me, it made no difference in flight. However, I can see that if you had those problems, and they were drive-related, it could certainly improve things.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I've just had to come to grips with the fact that no matter what CPU/GPU mix I have (currently the i7-8700k married to a 1080-ti), there will never be an appreciable difference in frame rates and/or stutters because of the way the P3D code uses (or fails to use) the cores. It all falls on the in-sim settings and whatever the .cfg tweak du jour of the month happens to be. And now that I'm using VR, this dance has just become even more complex and necessary.

I'm quite certain that x-plane and aerofly have much better architecture within the code to handle the newer CPUs and GPUs. However, I've invested so much money in scenery, aircraft, etc. for P3D that it seems like I'm just robbing my own wallet if I switch to, say, x-plane and have to start all over again. And while x-plane is certainly getting traction with outside companies developing for their sim, they still can't touch the myriad options available for P3D.

In the end, I'll keep dancing with who brung me and adjust my settings (and expectations) accordingly. On the bright side, I am crushing games in VR that are optimized and that makes me very happy!