Sign in to follow this  

Is there any improvement to take i7-8700K instead of i7-4790K for P3D V4?

As we all know , coffee lake architecture is ready to release in October  with  6 Core 12 Thread,which is named in i7-8700K.

Compared to i7-4790k(4 Core 8 Thread),is it necessary to  take i7-8700K instead of i7-4790K to get more improvement for P3D V4,especially in complex scenery and PMDG running condition? 

And how about i5-8600K?(6 Core 6Thread)

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yang.

I think a CPU upgrade must be seen in context with your video card , which seems to be more imporant for rendering etc. in V4. My assumption is that you will not gain so much more fps just because the processor has more cores/threads. At the end it might be that you invest many $$$ for only a little gain, which in the end you will not even recognize during a normal flight.

I do also have a 4790K but will wait 2 to 3 years with an upgrade until we really move a big step forward, also in terms that P3D is fully able to use the benefits of a new architecture.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I would still not give to much credits to higher number of cores for P3Dv4. However, the i7-8700K will be a little bit faster than the i7-4790K just due to the architecture. So, if you are ok to buy a new rig (or new CPU plus MoBo) only after the release of the i7-8700K, I would definitively go for this. If you want to save some money, go for the i7-7700K instead. The i7-4790K I would not consider anymore, as this would also mean to use DDR3 instead of the current DDR4 RAM (which also makes some % difference in performance).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

What annoys me about technology (although it shouldn't) is manufacturers advertising "the best!, the fastest!, the latest!, the greatest! And already when you purchase, they are already working on the next level of "the best!, the fastest!, the latest!, the greatest!". And then the latest from 2 months ago is no longer compatible with the "latest" motherboards. The I7700k is wonderful with P3D v4. Don't fool yourself into spending Dollars for the "latest and greatest". 2 months from now, there will be another iteration of "latest and greatest!". 

• Upvote 1

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I was "simming" on a laptop! And had great performance. I now have a gaming PC (7700k, 1080ti) and it cost me a lot! And the next month, the "new" motherboards and CPU's are coming out! And from my laptop to my new PC, I don't see any major difference! I can get 30fps instead of 22 fps! So don't chase the chips! P3D is quite CPU dependent and from laptop to desktop I see no appreciable change.

• Upvote 2

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

To be honest, I think it is the responsibility of the sim developers to up their game a bit. We've spent the past eleven years chasing FPS for various iterations of ESP-based sims which were tied to the CPU when they really should not be. We've been putting up with that for a long time, and it's about time sim developers took a bit of responsibility for this.

P3D is not cheap and it is a current title, so having to constantly buy new motherboards, RAM, GPUs, CPUs etc in the hope that we will  gain a few FPS in it and other current ESP-based sims is not something we should have to accept. We are paying for software which is not optimsed for modern hardware and frankly, it should be when it is no longer the title which was released eleven years ago, when that was our only choice. You don't see players of all the high end first person shooters and racing games etc constantly having to buy new hardware to gain 10 frames per second, and the graphics in those software titles make the graphics in ESP-based sims look like a joke.

The tired old argument that those shooters and racing games titles don't load up as large a world as a flight sim is not an excuse either, particularly when we can see other flight sims such DCS World and AeroFly FS2 getting blistering frame rates on the same hardware which sees us sheepishly regarding anything over 20+ fps as acceptable in an ESP-based sim the moment we get near anything other than a default airport located in the middle of nowhere. It's just not good enough and we should not put up with it, nor be expected to try to fix it on the developers behalf by purchasing over-endowed hardware which would see any other software title getting 200 fps easily.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi there,

I have an i6700k with a EVGA 980ti, the performance is very good on my rig due to these factors:

1) I overclocked the CPU to 4.8 Ghz, to do this I had to delid my CPU in order to reduce the temperstues from 95 celcius back to 30 - 48 under load.

2) The video card is very good and it has more than 6Gb of Ram.

3) I am not rendering the game at 4K, if this wad the case I am sure I would need a better card.

4) my settings on P3Dv4 are optimised to give me what I need, settings are not at the maximum but dynamic lighting and reflections are on, at night with the PMDG 737 parking at flytampa EHAM and landing lights turned on I managed 50 fps on external views and 35 fps inside the cabin.

5) I have an Samsung EVO pro M2 hardrive, it is capable of 150,000 IOS for write and 120,000 IOS to read on my rig, That helps the sim a lot as well specially when it needs to read scenery, textures, etc.

Conclusion 

Look at your system overall, not just your CPU. You could invest less money on other parts of your system and it would help you much more for your simm experience.

Regards 

Simbol 

I'm using a i7-4970k at 4.7GHz and it works great for me and I'm using demanding aircraft and lots of other addons.

For P3Dv4 I upgraded my 780 to a 1080, nice performance boost, but I did it mainly for the extra memory and I havent had any problems yet which can be related to lack of performance.

Cheers!

Maarten

I don't know about you lot, but I am really looking forward to the 5% performance improvement when I eventually upgrade from my existing i5 4690k :rolleyes:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, simbol said:

I have an Samsung EVO pro M2 hardrive, it is capable of 150,000 IOS for write and 120,000 IOS to read on my rig, That helps the sim a lot as well specially when it needs to read scenery, textures, etc.

Whilst any SSD will certainly speed up the OS and the initial loading of the sim, it makes minimal difference to the in-flight performance which is still mainly CPU dependent. When I changed to an SSD, FSX loaded significantly faster but there was no noticeable improvement in performance. I don't have P3D v4 so can't comment directly on that but unless you're regularly loading huge, high-res ortho tiles I'd be surprised if it's that different.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 minute ago, vortex681 said:

Whilst any SSD will certainly speed up the OS and the initial loading of the sim, it makes minimal difference to the in-flight performance which is still mainly CPU dependent. When I changed to an SSD, FSX loaded significantly faster but there was no noticeable improvement in performance. I don't have P3D v4 so can't comment directly on that but unless you're regularly loading huge, high-res ortho tiles I'd be surprised if it's that different.

It helps to minimize sim pauses due to reloading of cached textures, etc. this is more common when you have a lot of payware airports (as I do), have you experience sudden freezes on your sim when you are approaching a new airport? or when you call the GSX Menu to ask for services after you land? or when UT2 or UTL re-inject AI to the simulator? what about when ASCA reload textures for your sim? I don't have any of these anymore (FSX-SE and Prepard3D) since I changed my SSD for an .M2 key.

I never said anything about .M2 keys increasing FPS, but it certainly helps to increase the simulator performance which includes the simulator start up, simulator scenery loading time and third party ad dons performance, all these affect many stages of a given flight.

It is just another factor, as I said it is about your overall system performance not just your CPU, you can get an i9-7920X (12 core, 24 threads) for £1200 run it on a normal HDD with a rubbish video card and the sim performance would be awful despite of the superb CPU.

Regards,
Simbol

Sadly none of the sims we use are programmed to fully embrace multi threading and thus don't scale with more cores/threads.

Most of the processing still happens on one core and I guess a major overhaul of the code would be needed to change this, but I do hope it's possible and that it will happen.

Remains to bee seen how the 8700k overclocks and what the IPC (instructions per clock) and single thread performance is like. Some leaked benchmarks hinted that the 7700k

might be slightly faster in this aspect, as the 8700k with more cores will produce more heat, resulting in a lower overclock.

2 hours ago, neumanix said:

Sadly none of the sims we use are programmed to fully embrace multi threading and thus don't scale with more cores/threads.

Most of the processing still happens on one core and I guess a major overhaul of the code would be needed to change this, but I do hope it's possible and that it will happen.

Remains to bee seen how the 8700k overclocks and what the IPC (instructions per clock) and single thread performance is like. Some leaked benchmarks hinted that the 7700k

might be slightly faster in this aspect, as the 8700k with more cores will produce more heat, resulting in a lower overclock.

Thanks,Peter.

6 hours ago, Demious said:

I'm using a i7-4970k at 4.7GHz and it works great for me and I'm using demanding aircraft and lots of other addons.

For P3Dv4 I upgraded my 780 to a 1080, nice performance boost, but I did it mainly for the extra memory and I havent had any problems yet which can be related to lack of performance.

Thanks,Demious.

7 hours ago, Chock said:

To be honest, I think it is the responsibility of the sim developers to up their game a bit. We've spent the past eleven years chasing FPS for various iterations of ESP-based sims which were tied to the CPU when they really should not be. We've been putting up with that for a long time, and it's about time sim developers took a bit of responsibility for this.

P3D is not cheap and it is a current title, so having to constantly buy new motherboards, RAM, GPUs, CPUs etc in the hope that we will  gain a few FPS in it and other current ESP-based sims is not something we should have to accept. We are paying for software which is not optimsed for modern hardware and frankly, it should be when it is no longer the title which was released eleven years ago, when that was our only choice. You don't see players of all the high end first person shooters and racing games etc constantly having to buy new hardware to gain 10 frames per second, and the graphics in those software titles make the graphics in ESP-based sims look like a joke.

The tired old argument that those shooters and racing games titles don't load up as large a world as a flight sim is not an excuse either, particularly when we can see other flight sims such DCS World and AeroFly FS2 getting blistering frame rates on the same hardware which sees us sheepishly regarding anything over 20+ fps as acceptable in an ESP-based sim the moment we get near anything other than a default airport located in the middle of nowhere. It's just not good enough and we should not put up with it, nor be expected to try to fix it on the developers behalf by purchasing over-endowed hardware which would see any other software title getting 200 fps easily.

Thanks,Chock.