Sign in to follow this  
Moonwolf

Object placement problem

Hi Oliver

I am using the latest releases of FFX and WAMA.

I have noticed a difference between placing the same model in FFX and in WAMA.

Using FFX the same model sits a bit low, but using WAMA it is level or slightly higher?

Thanks for all the updates

Michael

Hello Michael,

can you give me a specific example? Which object are you placing where? And how?

Refill stations in FFX are placed at altitude 0, but generally speaking, unless you freeze the object in place it will fall to the ground through the simulator logic anyway. In WAMA the object is created at the altitude that it was saved with, but again, unless you freeze it, it should fall to the ground. There are some vehicles though, where the "static_cg_height" is wrong, and those can float above the surface all the time or display below surface. This is a parameter in the aircraft.cfg/sim.cfg that tells the simulator, how far removed from the surface the object should be displayed when it is on the ground. This is necessary, because the "0,0,0" datum reference point of the 3D model is seldom at the bottom of the 3D model, but rather in the middle or near the top, and the simulator has to know by how much it has to pull up the model so that everything shows. The best example for a static_cg_height issue are floating objects or aircraft wheels sinking into the ground.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver

The objects are my own models made from SketchUp.

In FFX I have no option to freeze the Refill station object, but in WAMA sceneries I always do.

I usually set the cg height to 0.0 for the SimObject. This particular object is under Misc, but that should not make a difference I think?

I actually "lifted" my Refill station object in SketchUp to be at ground level, but this resulted in the same object in WAMA sceneries floating in the air a similar distance.

Michael

Hello Michael,

the problem here is, that both, FFX and WAMA, use the exact same SimConnect method for object placement. So I don't even know where to start. The only difference is, that in WAMA you can freeze the objects, and in FFX you can not. When "unfrozen", the object should behave identically in both apps (does it??). When you set the CG height at 0, than means that your objects' datum referece point is on the ground too?

I guess that I would need that object to test this, if setting the altitude would make a difference. I cannot set a specific altitude and "freeze" because FFX doesn't know what that altitude is when the object is created. WAMA does, because you are right next to it yourself. If you want, feel free to contact me via email, the address is on the last page of the documentation.

A work around could be that you run both apps and disable the refill stations in FFX. Or make two different objects with different CG to ground, one for FFX and one for WAMA. And a third option is to convert the objects in to scenery models and place them into a BGL, telling FFX where they are by using the default situation load (Chapter 5.16 in the manual). I have a few customers in France who did this. They have rebuilt the refill stations on the airfields of southern France and Corsica where they are in the real world, as scenery. Then they have transferred those locations into the default situation file for FFX.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

Hi Oliver

I understand the problems and will do some more tests.

My Refill station models and WAMA will scenery models will normally never be the same, so I will be able to correct this. It just puzzled me the first time they got mixed up.

I will contact you by email if there are any more questions.

Michael