Sign in to follow this  
MartinH

TerraFlora for P3D from Turbulent Designs released

Only either the developer or someone with the add-on can confirm what either gets or doesn't get installed. But to me, it sounds like it works in the same manner as ORBX HD Trees does. It just replaces the default vegetation textures which are mapped to the default 2.5D tree model. The tree model is two rectangles intersecting at a 90 degree angle. I could be wrong on this but I'm waiting to read a definitive explanation.

LM had the right idea with the true 3D Speedtree autogen trees, but unfortunately the models that they licensed are not the greatest and most hardware is brought to its silicon knees by any realistic tree density.

At a random spot Pacific north west

BEFORE (with Orbx Trees)

36811927386_7055807ee3_o.png

AFTER (With Terra flora )

36164086874_431b65f8af_o.png

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

39 minutes ago, scisimmer said:

I have prepared a video comparing TerraFlora to Global FTX Trees HD:

Now that's the video everyone wants to see!!  Great presentation!

Thanks,

Greg

46 minutes ago, scisimmer said:

Nice! Thanks! You just saved me some money: I will stick with Orbx, not only because I only fly above FTX regions but also because the Terra Flora colors (specially the green) sometimes are too light and bright to my taste (that green just is too green) and some trees look too er... clean. Or too clearly copy and paste. The Obrx trees blend better into forests with specific types while Terra Flora often shows trees too much as seperate copies. You can also clearly see that the four 'sides' of the trees are copies: the Orbx trees look at but more random and less copied. Don't know how to explain it better. :happy: But anyway, it isn't worth the money they are asking for it. Specially if the addon doesn't work in FTX regions.

6 minutes ago, J van E said:

Nice! Thanks! You just saved me some money: I will stick with Orbx, not only because I only fly above FTX regions but also because the Terra Flora colors (specially the green) sometimes are too light and bright to my taste (that green just is too green) and some trees look too er... clean. Or too clearly copy and paste. The Obrx trees blend better into forests with specific types while Terra Flora often shows trees too much as seperate copies. You can also clearly see that the four 'sides' of the trees are copies: the Orbx trees look at but more random and less copied. Don't know how to explain it better. :happy: But anyway, it isn't worth the money they are asking for it. Specially if the addon doesn't work in FTX regions.

Welcome. I'm not sure about the thing with the full fat regions, it was just the case for the UK and AU regions in my case (but not Norway). I assume ORBX could use specific trees in these regions, but I cannot say 100%.

5 minutes ago, J van E said:

Fully agree with you! They need to work a little bit these points to convince me (I've already all their products which are top notch). As you,  I stick with ORBX HD trees too! Thank you so much to scisimmer for the very informative vid!

Best regards

Pat

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

Terra Flora is nice for Winter. I usually don't fly winter..but with this I've been flying some winter pots.

Manny

46 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Now that's the video everyone wants to see!!  Great presentation!

Thanks,

Greg

I agree. The quality of the video vastly out shines either product. The difference between the Terra Flora and ORBX products is very small. The only ecosystem  where TF looks distinctly better is the dense tropical forest. Everywhere else the "stick figure" planar tree models look about equal in quality. Both look great from far away but from close-up they still look like cardboard cutouts. If I did not have a 3rd party tree add-on already, TF would be my choice. But having the ORBX product, I think I will just stick with it, especially since TF doesn't presently work within the full fat ORBX regions.

In my opinion, there is no substitute for either true 3D clouds or trees.

The winter trees in TF are much too exaggerated. ORBX have a more natural look for the dead of winter. TF winter trees look like they are in a perpetual state of heavy snowfall No doubt after a big snowfall and one which is close to freezing the snow clings to the trees in that fashion. But as an example I noticed the Spring trees in Norway were white and the ORBX trees had already moved to their Spring form.

Another thing I see in TF is the exaggeration in green forests. Looks artificial. However, I think their Amazon forest cover is pretty good and I do think that ORBX tends to present its trees in a more consevative color pallet overall.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

2 hours ago, scisimmer said:

Very nice job! Thanks a lot.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

I am still on the fence with TerraFlora as I already have Orbx HD Trees, but it would be great if they could create multiple varieties in terms of color variation. To me, in all cases, the TerraFlora trees look better than Orbx HD trees so if I do get the TerraFlora product I will have the ability to choose one set or the other.

One suggestion for the Turbulent Design folks, it might be good to have sets of trees that have multiple variations of color or saturation so a user could select, for instance, from ten different color variants of the trees. (Kind of like what a user can do with REX Texture Direct)

Another suggestion would be to create something for the VERY DATED and out of scale autogen houses and buildings. I have been looking at the same houses (which look ridiculously out of scale [way too big] when compared to the tiny cars buzzing around them) and buildings essentially since FS2002.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I have both FTX Trees HD and TerraFlora and have tried to do an evaluation of both. After reading what other's have found out for themselves it is rather difficult to declare one above the other insofar as realism or performance.

Not usually being an early adopter or ride-hitcher of strange and exotic products, this time was an exception.  My appreciation for Russ White's work in sceneries made me click the "buy now" button. It is evident to me that his workmanship and creative detail orientated skills are still evident in TerraFlora, although I must say that the FTX texture package is it's equal or superior in most seasons within North America and Europe (in my opinion). This is especially true in winter and spring where I think that ORBX's more subtle approach is warranted.

That being said, TerraFlora rules the tropics and rain forests. Since I am part way through a trip around South America to experience the new OpenLC continent for myself, TF will be greatly appreciated. However when flying in the full fat ORBX regions (and I own them all) FTX Trees HD will be installed on my machine. 

I know this is as clear as mud, but that is the true way of it, not very clear at all. 

Kind regards,

• Upvote 1

Now if only you could add oceans of Coconut tree plantations... 

We could do some nice airports like Cochin, India or Mangalore (Difficult) India. Brazil, and even Hawaii and PAcific Islands.

coconut-garden.jpg

bd95b38c96d06db6d8e23c892572d7bd--kochi-

• Upvote 1

Manny