Sign in to follow this  
Demious

P3D on same PC as DAW?

Can anyone tell me if there might be any problems when I share my flightsim PC with a DAW (Harrison Mixbus32C v4 to be exact)?

A flightsim is pretty sensitive software, when it comes to bugs caused by other software and DAWs can have the same problem. Is there anyone who used recording software next to flightsim software, on the same PC, who can tell me about their experience with both on 1 PC? If they encountered any nasty problems, or if it will work fine?

Cheers!

Maarten

I run  P3D on the same PC as PreSonus Studio One without any issues.

PreSonus Studio One is being fed via a Line 6 UX1 interface and a USB Midi keyboard. while the rest of the USB ports have Goflight panels hanging off them

37 minutes ago, Demious said:

A flightsim is pretty sensitive software, when it comes to bugs caused by other software and DAWs can have the same problem.

I've used Cakewalk software for decades on the same PC as I flew on and never encountered problems. I think it's impossible for flightsim software to get bugs due to a DAW or any other totally unrelated software. It would be the same as Photoshop being bugged by The Sims: impossible. :happy: A flightsim can only get into trouble due to flightsim related software like a DAW can only get problems from DAW related software. If it was otherwise any flightsim developer or DAW developer would have to test his software with each and every piece of software out there! If that was the case no one would produce any software anymore. :happy:

BTW For quite a few years I even used my firewire audio interface for my simming! So even when you combine the two worlds you won't get into trouble. :happy:

56 minutes ago, Demious said:

Can anyone tell me if there might be any problems when I share my flightsim PC with a DAW (Harrison Mixbus32C v4 to be exact)?

A flightsim is pretty sensitive software, when it comes to bugs caused by other software and DAWs can have the same problem. Is there anyone who used recording software next to flightsim software, on the same PC, who can tell me about their experience with both on 1 PC? If they encountered any nasty problems, or if it will work fine?

Hi,

I use cubase and native instruments Bosendorfer piano sampler through a focusrite scarlett 2i4 without problems.

Hope that helps

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I have installed on the same computer as my flightsim and use regularly:

Ableton Live 9,5

Cubase pro 9

Maschine

Cakewalk Sonar

Propellerhead Reason 9.5

Tracktion

around 200 plugins

No problems at all.  There is no reason with today's systems why there would be any problems.   Yes if you read sound on sound they will tell you not to install anything else on your recording PC, and you probably don't want to use up all your disk space, so getting separate drives for everything would be the best.  (And for heavy DAW use, I have programs on one drive, recordings on another and samples on a third, but that's overkill)  If you happen to be Slash, you can probably afford to have a separate pc for each task, but for the rest of us,  one pc is fine.

That sounds very reassuring!

Since Logic became Apple software, I went to a Mac for recording, but before that (before 2000), I had a Windows PC for recording only, because a lot of software had the tenancy to interfere with Logic on Win98. But I already noticed a lot has changed with DAWs on Windows and I can use Mixbus on Mac OS, as well as on Windows, so I can work in my studio, as well as behind my desk in the living room, with the same program.

Thanks for the input, guys! Much appreciated! :)

Cheers!

Maarten

while we are on the subject... I really don't require an eighth DAW, (I own a license for Logic Pro X as well) but I do see Mixbus is having a sale,  anything unique that does, that I can't get with my rig now?

Cakewalk Sonar + FS9 on my music rack-mount machine in a spare bedroom.   My main FS machine is pretty isolated though and runs on a PC mostly used for Internet, connecting to work, email, and Prepar3DV4.

Mark Trainer