Sign in to follow this  
interpreter

FS 2004 frame rates in Windows 10

Having upgraded to Windows 10 I find that the frame rates o all aircraft - especially add-ons is appalling. Sometimes I am lucky to get 2 or 4 FPS. I have change all the sliders and tried all variations without any improvement. I don't know to what extent the sliders affect the outcome but suffice it to say I have set the rate at 28. Can anybody help with this please?

You got a strange situation then. I also upgraded windows to 10 this summer and did a complete reinstall of fs but for me no issues or what so ever. 

What are the specs of your system?

I have a Windows 10 system that was upgraded from Windows 8 to 10, so it is by no mean an up-to-date system.  It can run FS9 at either 30 or 60 fps, but usually keep it at 30.  There  is something in your install that did not go well.  Most here will advise you to not install fs9 in either of the  Program Files directories, but rather have a directory that contains just FS9.files.  Since yours has installed so poorly, you need to start over.  Don't add anything to your fs9 install until it runs the stock program at 30fps.  Without know what your system specs are, I can't really help you more.  You may have a system that just can't handle Windows 10 plus a graphics-intensive add-on.  You need to know what video card you have also.  If you have a laptop it might not be up to the task also.

• Upvote 1

I have reinstalled FS9 probably 7 times. It now works OK BUT the frame rate can be as low as 1.8 to 2.5. The computer has a 2.9Ghz processor and 6 g of ram so I cannot see where the problem is. Windows 10 does something to the system. I would welcome suggestions. I have set the frame rate at 25 and reduced the various settings but it only improves if I set the background to about zero!

Strange, I've an i5 laptop, 4GB ram, Windows 10 Home, & getting 30-40, even up to 80fps, depending on scenery complexity & if I'm using the VC.

My FS2004 install is huge, I'm using all the scenery, planes, skins as well as plenty of other appropriate planes in a separate install, of all the stuff from http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/

My slowdown is selecting aircraft, that, because I have so many, takes a bit of time. My install is in C:\

My frames are set to 'unlimited'. Settings are basically set to the middle.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Robin (Cape Town, South Africa)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I have forgotten the specs of my machine. Something with i7 and Nvidia 970 GTX or 980 GTX. Two years ago it wast one of the fastest affordable machines. My fs9 runs very smooth. FPS set at 60 with some drops to 40 at very busy large airports like New York and Chicago. All sliders are maxed and I run a a lot of AI with REX, GEpro, UTUSA. 

That was with Win 8 as well with Win 10. For me, Win 10 was not a problem.

good luck with sortimg it out. I really have no idea what it could be. 

Try deleting the active FS9 config (in your %appdata% directory under Microsoft/fs9) and let it rebuild. I had a very strange experience yesterday after installing a new graphics card that only some of the settings were remembered or worked, FS9 kept reverting to a very low resolution on startup even though I could set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 in sim no problem. FS9 has internal backup files all over the place and this causes some strange effects. Maybe your system is just not accepting slider input.

Also I suggest you try setting up an Inspector profile if you haven't done so yet!

Good luck, we've all been there ;)

Sascha

Have a look at Task Master (Ctl Alt Del) maybe that will tell you what's using memory?

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, so my install certainly was not a fresh install.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Wobbie. I have now got everythnig working but still stuck at 2.0 -5.0 frame rates. One thing occurs to me. I have a 285G hard disk but for some reason 275G is used. That is absurd and it seems to me that Windows 10 is backing up everything to itself. I have an external 1.5 T hard disk which I normally back up to. How can I remove that enormous back up volume using Windows 1?. I ask this because somebody suggested that such a large back up must slow the disk down. Does that make sense and how can I proceed?

3 hours ago, interpreter said:

Wobbie. I have now got everythnig working but still stuck at 2.0 -5.0 frame rates. One thing occurs to me. I have a 285G hard disk but for some reason 275G is used. That is absurd and it seems to me that Windows 10 is backing up everything to itself. I have an external 1.5 T hard disk which I normally back up to. How can I remove that enormous back up volume using Windows 1?. I ask this because somebody suggested that such a large back up must slow the disk down. Does that make sense and how can I proceed?

Your disk space may be the reason you are seeing the poor fps.  My old system was less than yours in every way, yet manged 30fps easily, with everything maxed.  I had a 2.33 GHZ machine and 4GB of RAM, and I believe an 8GB video card as I remember.  That machine died, so I bought a 3.6 GHZ machine, 8GB of Ram with an Nvidia 1060 GTX, 3GB of Ram, and I get amazing performance with P3d and Xplane11.

If you don't have enough disk space, Windows will crawl as it caches some of your memory to the hard drive, searching for space.  You will want Windows to find quickly what it needs, that requires shuffling some data elsewhere to free up space.  I had the same problem on my new system, I had to move Xplane to a separate partition to free up space on my main windows drive, I had quite a stutter there for a while until I completed the move.  Space is the key, I suggest at least 32GB free on the main hard drive.

John

• Upvote 1

Cactus521. I think you have something there and I have dumped  whole load of stuff and increased the free space to about 25g. What I find baffling is the difference in frame rates for the default aircraft (quite good) and the 1.5 fps for say the deHavilland chipmunk, external view. Is it possible for a silver surfer like me to upgrade my video card from an Intel G33/G31 chipset to something faster? Although I repeat it all worked perfectly in Win 7.

42 minutes ago, interpreter said:

Cactus521. I think you have something there and I have dumped  whole load of stuff and increased the free space to about 25g. What I find baffling is the difference in frame rates for the default aircraft (quite good) and the 1.5 fps for say the deHavilland chipmunk, external view. Is it possible for a silver surfer like me to upgrade my video card from an Intel G33/G31 chipset to something faster? Although I repeat it all worked perfectly in Win 7.

You just caught me, I've been in the hospital, but I will answer your question.  1.5 fps is abysmal, usually caused by onboard video cards.  But you say it worked well in Win 7, so that is going to narrow it down to a driver issue.  However I am just getting my feet wet on Windows 10 and there are huge differences between 10 and 7, like boot up.  I push the switch and by the time I sit down my computer is waiting for me to sign in, not like the old days when starts were long.  The aircraft you are using might have a gauge that is causing the issue.  Just one time I installed an aircraft, from where I don't know, and it hobbled my framerates.  So I did not use it anymore, the gauge was like a timer or something, I can't remember and forgive me I am on pain medication so that makes me fuzzy LOL.

John

Thanks John. I have now found a wjhole load of backup on my computer which I have dumped and the free space is now over 100g. You may have a point but ALL the aircarft are ones I had in Windows 7. In any event  get well quickly.