Sign in to follow this  
bpollock

Best, most complete FMC equipped plane for beginner.

I am primarily a GA flyer and LOVE my GTN 750.  However, since I can't update the airac on the GTN, I am looking for the best, most complete aircraft that utilizes an updatable FMC.  I know about PMDG, but it's systems are WAY too complicated for this old bird.   I would like the new CRJ, but way too many issues.  Maybe I will reconsider after a few more updates.  

Anything else out there that is a "Study Lite" aircraft with FMC?

P3dV4

Hi bpollock,

Might want to reconsider. From a learning viewpoint, the built in tutorial as well as an excellent one from Frooglesim on YT has taught me plenty. I have been frustrated by all the others I've tried. Also the assistance from "DAVE" which is a built in aid is a great feature. Don't know your system specs but the new Aerosoft/Digital CRJ's are working just fine for me in P3Dv4 on Win10 x64 with Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable 14.0.24215.

• Upvote 1

I definitely have my eye on the CRJ.  Perhaps ill take my chances and by the time I have learned to cold and dark start it, new updates will be out fixing the outstanding issues.  Lol

Your not to old to learn the PMDG 737, why?

You can set the default state to be ready for takeoff.

Youtube is full of tutorials on the plane.

You can easily learn the FMC, again just YouTube PMDG FMC tutorial.

Yes it's a lot to learn but if something goes wrong it's not a bug, it's a mistake and you can learn why.

Take the leap, you will learn and enjoy it and the reward is huge.

Better to learn on a platform that's not got bugs than trying to figure out if it's the plane or you that's the problem. Don't go lite, go for an aircraft that's right and you really can learn.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

bpollockm

You may also like to consider the IFly 737 slightly (very) less than PMDG, and another to consider is Eagesoft Citation. 

PMDG and IFly are not GA and even though certified to be flown with only one pilot is probably not GA either. I do not know of any prop aircraft with a FMS/FMC set-up.  

All three of my suggestions are incredible aircraft but... may not be to your liking, so please regard them as suggestions only.

Regrds

Tony Chilcott

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

The majestic Q400.

But not out for v4 yet

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, bpollock said:

I would like the new CRJ, but way too many issues.

I am making the same move as yourself.  Looking at the CRJ changelogs, they have already fixed nearly ninety issues.  What are the other issues holding you back? 

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10                    

Is the CRJ more or less difficult to learn how to fly than a 737/777/747?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

1 hour ago, bpollock said:

I am primarily a GA flyer and LOVE my GTN 750.  However, since I can't update the airac on the GTN, I am looking for the best, most complete aircraft that utilizes an updatable FMC.  I know about PMDG, but it's systems are WAY too complicated for this old bird.   I would like the new CRJ, but way too many issues.  Maybe I will reconsider after a few more updates.  

Anything else out there that is a "Study Lite" aircraft with FMC?

P3dV4

Don't be afraid of the PMDG planes.  Maybe consider the 777 as it is very automated.  But the NGX is a classic and must have.  Tons of good you tube tutorials and very rewarding to fly.  Stay away from the CRJ as it does not have an auto throttle and will be more difficult to learn.  

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

45 minutes ago, Hubinsc said:

I am making the same move as yourself.  Looking at the CRJ changelogs, they have already fixed nearly ninety issues.  What are the other issues holding you back? 

Flight plan tracking especially after a direct to still seems to be an issue.    

Im having fun flying my PC12 with GTN750, so I guess I will monitor and wait a few weeks for the fixes to be addressed.  

My main issue with all these choices is that I don't fly In the VC.   I have multiple monitors and use multiple hardware units.  I kind of like the fact that the CRJ has multiple 2d panels that I can just switch to when I need to.  I suppose I can create many views inside the PMDG. 

Dilemas, dilemas?!?!?????   Ughhhhhhhhh!

Not sure if 64 makes me an old bird, but I picked up the 737 NGX a year ago, and while there was a learning curve, I've never regretted it. Far and away my favorite aircraft, as the rigor with which PMDG modeled the 737 is amazing. The nice thing about the NGX is that it can be hand flown when you want, or the FMC and autopilot can do much of the heavy lifting. The FMC is not all that difficult to learn.

As others have noted, there are many excellent NGX tutorials to be found on YT. Or, if you want something more structured, go to Angle of Attack and sign up for the 737 NGX Flightwork course, which will walk you through FMC setup, controller setup, and demonstrate several flights in Europe and the States that involve flight plans of different complexity as well as how to program and execute SIDS, STARS, and precision and non-precision approaches. They provide some good info on flight planning as well. The AOA course really unlocked much of the mystery of the NGX for me. Good luck!

Rich

• Upvote 1

737. Either PMDG or iFly. The 737 is the easiest jet to learn, it's not for nothing that it is the best selling jet airliner ever. And get Mike Ray's Flying the 700 Series jets book. It'll have you flying those babies like a pro.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

As a few others have mentioned, go with the 777 rather than the 737.

The 777 is simpler to fly because of all the automation and simplification of systems. It's a bigger plane but easier to learn the systems on a basic level.

Honestly I would reconsider the NGX as it's not that difficult to master, fun to fly, and the initial effort is quite rewarding in the end. Plenty of tutorials here, there, and everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor