Sign in to follow this  
yancovitch

scenery library empty

did something wrong and my default scenery doesn't show up in the scenery library...only the orbx scenery files show....i did a repair in fsx steam, and nothing changed....and...the orbx files are all at the bottom of the list....even though ti's empty aside from the orbx entries, all the numbers are there.....any hope?

There should be a backup in the folder where your scenery.cfg resides.  Just rename your corrupted one, and rename one of them as your scenery.cfg.  You may have to add one or two sceneries.  If the Orbx sceneries are not in the backup, not to worry because when you open up FTX Central, it should reenter the scenery in your scenery library and enable them again.  If you have no backup, then, just delete or rename the scenery.cfg to scenery.cfg.off, restart FSX and it will be rebuilt to the default.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

sorry, i didn't understand..........in fsx .....the scenery folder contains the default scenery...and farther down the list is the scenery cfg .....

but in the game the default scenery does not show up in the scenery library...only the orbx shows.....and they are down near the bottom of the vacant numbered list.....

the scenery cfg contains...general.........area.001 to area 120 which i assumed was complete?

below it,is a scenery fsad..lso. bak   which seems to have more areas including orbx ones....to #131

ok.i just re-named it (back up )....scenery?

and the old one .. scenery corrupted

will fsx create another backup scenery?...i appreciate your help......vc

sorry, blew it.....i tried renaming, but it didn't work... fsx says scenery corrupted and stops.....i renamed the bak to scenery, but on the right next to the kb count it says bak and that won't change

anyways, i renamed them back to the original awaiting your instruction :)

did you go to the right .cfg? the one that is used is in C;/program data ( which is a hidden folder so set it to show ) Microsoft/FSX-SE, it is not the one in the main FSX-SE folder.

Herman

6 hours ago, yancovitch said:

am hoping jim young can respond to correct my possible errors :)

I cannot understand anything you are saying.  Herman (above) is correct and is telling you the exact same thing I told you.  I have no changes to my original comments other than why don't you download the scenery config editor - https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/.  It works great for FSX.

A repair to FSX-SE will not fix your problems because you have add-ons that are not working properly.  Go to the Hidden Folder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE and delete that scenery.cfg.  It will be rebuilt when you restart FSX-SE.  See page 4, AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (link in my signature) for instructions on opening hidden files.

If you are having issues with FTX/Orbx, please go to the FTX/Orbx forum here on AVSIM and ask for assistance there.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

thank you ...ah, i was in the main scenery cfg in the game....sorry, i just don't know enough yet, but learning painfully.....by the way, it just shows C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.....but it worked...the files are back in scenery library, i'llcheck the editor too.....thanks again for your patience.....

I have found going back to a date in System Restore when all was working cured scenery problems,  Be sure to create a new restore point before doing this.

Echofox

Glad you got it fixed yancovitch, I also opted to system restore when I run into impossible problem solving in FSX ( May be due to my ignorance) and that got me out of trouble many times.

There is a Little program one can download FSTscenery.exe which rearranges the scenery.cfg file and puts everything back in order in the event one gets scenery.cfg file error when starting FSX. You just download it and place the file where your scenery .cfg resides.Here is a link you can download it from:

http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/welcome.shtml

This way you may avoid having to restore your complete system, because of an FSX error.

Berlopez