Sign in to follow this  
Albin

P3d v3.4 My GPU is underclocking the memory

I have a Msi gtx 1060 6gb Gaming X and memory speed clocks to 2025mhz in every game and under idle but in p3d it cloks down to around 1930 mhz. And because it's quad channel it's 2025 x4 = 8100 mhz on the memory. 1930 x4 = 7720. It's around 300 mhz underclock. And gpu usage is around 80-90% when I checked it. So why is my GPU underclocking in just p3d? If it whould run at normal speed I should get little better performence. 

Rest of the pc

I5 4460

8gb ram 

asus h81me MB

525 gb ssd with p3d

1tb hdd

What is your water slider set to? If it's Ultra then that causes the GPU to drop back to P2 state (at least on some GPUs) and one of the effects of that is slower memory speed....

17 hours ago, boez said:

What is your water slider set to? If it's Ultra then that causes the GPU to drop back to P2 state (at least on some GPUs) and one of the effects of that is slower memory speed....

Yea, think it's on ultra. I will test to set it to High 

If this is the case then I reported the issue on the LM forum nearly 2 years ago but nothing has been changed.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=109003

To be fair to LM the problem appears to be with nvidia and the CUDA libraries which ultra water uses. Google search reveals other apps having similar issues.

My solution is to overclock memory speed and GPU speed in P2 state to the P0 values so performance should be equivalent.

I change water detail from ultra to high and GPU memory speed went back to normal and I got a few extra frames. So it's the ultra setting that cuasing the problem. 

Thanks guys