Sign in to follow this  
AaronChislett

EZdok v2 Damaged File Error

Hello All,

Need help - I have issues with EZdok v2 installed on P3D v3. It installed correctly and started once spawned by P3D, i.e. appeared in plugin tab. However, I keep getting this EZdok pop-up windows 'Damaged file #1' when P3D is starting. The pop-up message also appears when I tried to import EZdok cam file.

I have tried many options - install, re-install, disabled anti-virus, Admin rights etc, but keep getting this error message. I also tried using the recent Beta version, by replacing the files - same errors.

Hope you guys can help or give some pointers?

You need to disable UserAccessControls (UAC).

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

31 minutes ago, AaronChislett said:

How do I do that? Turn the slider all the way down?

Yes, all the way down will disable UAC.  Also make sure any installed anti-virus or anti-malware program is set up to exclude scanning of your P3D folder.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just now, Jim Young said:

Yes, all the way down will disable UAC.  Also make sure any installed anti-virus or anti-malware program is set up to exclude scanning of your P3D folder.

Nope didn't fix it. :(

I've been in contact with the creator of EZdok for about 3 weeks trying to figure out the issue and he's just as puzzled as I am. I've literally tried everything. 

1 minute ago, Jim Young said:

It was working then I came back to P3D one day and I got that error. I think it was after installing and removing Hamachi but I'm not sure whether that's the issue or not. 

That was the only known fix I found on the Internet where another individual had exactly your issue.  Are you starting P3D with Admin Rights by going to and right clicking on P3D.exe, selecting Properties, then clicking on the Compatibility tab and then making sure you have Admin Rights for ALL users (not just you)?  What Windows OS are you using?  Windows 10 is extremely aggressive with security

I saw on SimForums where you have posted your issue.  They also suggested an issue with your virus scanner.  Did you look in the Quarantine folder to see if any files have been quarantined?  Many addon's to P3D and FSX have quarantined files because an anti-virus program is attempting to save you from evil people and quarantines files that are not really viruses (false positives).  Reason why I have never used an anti-virus program since 1991 and never got a virus.  Malware? Yes.  If you have Windows Defender that comes free with Windows 10 and mandatory that everyone use, it also quarantines files. 

You mixed Beta files with a final version of your program and that probably is not a very good idea.  Your error is extremely rare (at least according to Google) so you did something wrong on your end.  Looks like your best solution would be to completely uninstall, run a registry cleaner, then reinstall.  I know you don't want to do that because configuring EZDOK is extremely time-consuming and difficult.  One reason I removed it from my system.  Make sure you exempt your P3D folder from being scanned by your anti-virus program, including Windows Defender, turn off UAC, and you reinstall with Admin Rights.

Submit News to AVSIM

Programs that install apps or make changes to the system will be run by a User account and that program will acquire the privileges it needs for the installation or system setting changes by offering a popup message for the User to OK. Changing the way these programs start so they already have Admin privileges might affect the way they install permissions so changing the way they acquire privileges should be avoided.

These programs don't respond to changes in UAC levels since permissions to files and folders are not invoked, instead permissions must be acquired.

Generally if a file can't be written, and an app suggests it's corrupted, could indicate that the folder or file is read-only.

When programs are installed their folders acquire the permissions of the parent. Programs installed into folders other than the intended folder structure can be prone to problems when integrated with other apps.

I would first check that "file #1" can actually be found or at least the folder where it should be written can be checked and it can be seen that the Users group (or a group specified by the app) has read write and modify permission and as such can be altered by the standard user account running the app without changes to security.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

7 hours ago, Jim Young said:

That was the only known fix I found on the Internet where another individual had exactly your issue.  Are you starting P3D with Admin Rights by going to and right clicking on P3D.exe, selecting Properties, then clicking on the Compatibility tab and then making sure you have Admin Rights for ALL users (not just you)?  What Windows OS are you using?  Windows 10 is extremely aggressive with security

I saw on SimForums where you have posted your issue.  They also suggested an issue with your virus scanner.  Did you look in the Quarantine folder to see if any files have been quarantined?  Many addon's to P3D and FSX have quarantined files because an anti-virus program is attempting to save you from evil people and quarantines files that are not really viruses (false positives).  Reason why I have never used an anti-virus program since 1991 and never got a virus.  Malware? Yes.  If you have Windows Defender that comes free with Windows 10 and mandatory that everyone use, it also quarantines files. 

You mixed Beta files with a final version of your program and that probably is not a very good idea.  Your error is extremely rare (at least according to Google) so you did something wrong on your end.  Looks like your best solution would be to completely uninstall, run a registry cleaner, then reinstall.  I know you don't want to do that because configuring EZDOK is extremely time-consuming and difficult.  One reason I removed it from my system.  Make sure you exempt your P3D folder from being scanned by your anti-virus program, including Windows Defender, turn off UAC, and you reinstall with Admin Rights.

I have tried literally everything including all that above ^. I'm running windows 10. It's funny because I just came back to P3D one day and it was broken. (I'm not on the 2.5 beta)

6 hours ago, SteveW said:

Programs that install apps or make changes to the system will be run by a User account and that program will acquire the privileges it needs for the installation or system setting changes by offering a popup message for the User to OK. Changing the way these programs start so they already have Admin privileges might affect the way they install permissions so changing the way they acquire privileges should be avoided.

These programs don't respond to changes in UAC levels since permissions to files and folders are not invoked, instead permissions must be acquired.

Generally if a file can't be written, and an app suggests it's corrupted, could indicate that the folder or file is read-only.

When programs are installed their folders acquire the permissions of the parent. Programs installed into folders other than the intended folder structure can be prone to problems when integrated with other apps.

I would first check that "file #1" can actually be found or at least the folder where it should be written can be checked and it can be seen that the Users group (or a group specified by the app) has read write and modify permission and as such can be altered by the standard user account running the app without changes to security.

I can't find "file #1.' The EZdok creator said that it doesn't actually exist and that it's probably referring to another folder/file. He even gave me his personal EZdok files to replace with my own but the error still persists. 

I would run the System File Checker and look for any missing or corrupted files - https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161.  If the developer says the file doesn't exist, then there must be an issue with Windows or another program.

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

The problem still appears to be most likely a file cannot be written to, shame the developer could not suggest what it could be. Since running apps as admin does not guarantee access to all files on the system, I would still suggest to check the permissions on the folders that ezdok accesses - ensure the Users group has Modify as well as read permission. Right-click on the folder, Properties, Edit, Choose the Users group, check Modify Allow, allow the process to do the same to subfolders. When we log into the Windows box we become members of the Users groups.

Can offer one option to check: to copy the entire folder EZCA2 from ProgramFiles(x86) to another location, preferably on another disk, for example, D:\EZCA2\. In the file EXE.XML to change the path to the new location. Maybe  the error will disappear.

With the latest updates Win10 Microsoft has tightened the security policy of the folder ProgramFiles(x86), so the error probably comes from this.

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020

When we make our own folder we acquire read/write to it by being a member of Authenticated Users.

And so to avert all the problems associated with Program Files folders, we simply add Modify permission to the Users group on that folder. This is like saying we are installing apps that need read/write permission to a Windows System folder that is by definition read only.

In some cases through historic reasons and possibly through development during the Windows XP era, some apps still assume we have write (Modify) access to the program files folder.

I would apply the permission rather than go through the rigmarole of moving the app if this is the reason for the problem.

As far as I knew EZDOK does not need Admin rights or special permissions to function correctly after it's been installed to default systems..