Sign in to follow this  

Missing stuff like certain LOCs

Sometimes I miss stuff like certain approaches. Just now I flew into ENSG and had to land on runway 6. Luckily there was this chart:

https://ais.avinor.no/no/AIP/View/17/aip/ad/ensg/EN_AD_2_ENSG_5-1_en.pdf

It wasn't until I was 15 nm out that I found out the SGD LOC on that chart doesn't exist at all in P3D v4... Luckily the SOG VOR DME was there all the time, which led me to the airport, but I was planning on flying a nice published LOC approach but no... it was not to be.

I've had this before. Annoying. Pity FTX Norway, which is what I use, apparently uses the old FSX database too? Is there anything you can do about this?

What if you have for instance Navigraph for up to date charts but the needed LOCs or whatever aren't there in the sim? (BTW I just had a look at Navigraph and noticed it doesn't even have ENSG...)

Pity that the entire sim can't be updated with Navigraph data.

EDIT Hm, I might be needing this: https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html  Am I correct...?!

FsAerodata subscription along with a Navigraph charts and data subscription is what you need.

The Navigraph charts app (beta version) is fantastic

3 hours ago, J van E said:

EDIT Hm, I might be needing this: https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html  Am I correct...?!

It's free but it doesn't really do what you want, which is to update all P3d airports and navaids. You need fsaerodata, as others have suggested. Herve's website  (the one in your link) does have a nice additional add-on which updates the P3d magdec data.

Back to fsaerodata, it now also updates the stock FIR/ARTCC frequencies. The next AIRAC revision will introduce different comm frequencies for high and low altitude sectors.

Wow, never ever heard of fsaerodata...! Am I correct that even the default GPS will work with SIDS and STARs now...?!? And all possible approaches? 

10 minutes ago, J van E said:

Am I correct that even the default GPS will work with SIDS and STARs now...?!? And all possible approaches? 

There are two GPS cabs in the P3D gauges folder, the original FSX  version fs9gps.cab and a P3D version p3dgps.cab, the P3D version can display the sids stars and approaches

you need to edit the panel.cfg entries and change the GPS entries from fs9gps.cab' to 'p3dgps.cab'. for some reason LM did not do this for us.

Sids and stars are then available in the default GPS and will correspond with your Navigraph charts and data

13 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Sids and stars are then available in the default GPS and will correspond with your Navigraph charts and data

Nice.

I presume the A2A planes do use the P3D GPS?

I was thinking about getting the GTN 750 for v4 but I mainly fly with VOR, the old fashioned way, and only want the GTN for whenever I feel like doing so. The problem with the GTN however can be that the data doesn't sync with P3D and charts you can find online (which always are a mixed bag). I am also thinking about getting an airliner for which I would also get Navigraph. And when I have Navigraph I'd like to use it with my GA too but that is not possible with the GTN or the default GPS. Seems to me that FSaerodata is the best option: I will be ready for when I get my airliner and in the meantime I can use the default GPS (in my A2A planes) whenever I don't have time to fly with VOR. (That sounded a bit complicated...)

EDIT Concerning my flying with VOR only... I see FSaerodata actually REMOVES a lot of VORs...! Logically because this happens in real life too but this is a bit bad for my VOR flying hobby. ;) The future of course is flying with GPS but as I said the GTN doesn't work with Navigraph or FSaerodata.

So... it seems to me that what we need is a GPS addon that does NOT work with the Garmin trainer but with the provided sim data (and Navigraph and FSaerodata)! So just like the default GPS but then more detailed. Anyone knows if such a GPS already exists?

I have to add that the default GPS isn't as bad as some people think. Specially now you can add SIDS and STARs and updated approaches to it that are in sync with Navigraph. So yes, maybe I should get Navigraph, FSaerodata instead of the GTN. ;)

Just now, J van E said:

I presume the A2A planes do use the P3D GPS?

Have a look in the Panel.cfg and if they are using fs9gps.cab change the entries to

p3dgps.cab in both the 2D section and the VC section.

FsAerodata along with Navigraph Charts and data and the updated Magvar file from Aerosors gives what we have wished for, a sim with current data

Well, little problem here is that the LOC I was missing today is from an airport that doesn't come with Navigraph... So I would buy all this stuff and then end up with less destinations... and I would still have to resort to charts from other sources. I do suppose FSaerodata comes with that missing LOC but someone PM'd me that the free navdata update option has it for sure. LOL Whatever you do and choose, there always are limitations and things missing somehow. :happy:

ANYWAY, one more question: can you update the sim with FSaerodata ONCE and then stick with that cycle for a while? Because another option would be to do just that and also get a month subscription for Navigraph once: than my sim would be updated for now and I could use real world charts. I do not really need my navdata to be updated every month. In the past I also did this a few times: I downloaded one month of manual Navigraph data and used that for a year or so. Would that be possible to do with FSaerodata or does it force you to update monthly and always have an active subscription?

EDIT It seems that you can't download and manually install the FSaerodata cycle as you can do with Navigraph (EDIT 2 it seems you actually CAN download a cycle for manual install!), but it also seems that once you install FSaerodata you can forget about it and keep on using the navdata until you reinstall your entire OS or sim. You do not have to have an active subscription to actually use the navdata. So if I am not mistaken I could update my entire sim and addons ONCE (with FSaerodata amd Navigrapgh) and then be done with it for a while. That would cost me around 18 bucks and save me around 90 bucks (a year). Obviously I won't have Navigraph charts but well, I do have real world charts online, at least for Noway. (I am just thinking out loud what my options are LOL) (EDIT 2 And it seems that if I need to reinstall my sim or entire system I can simply use the downloaded navdata files from FSaerodata as well as Navigraph to manually bring my entire sim a bit more up to date. Things may be a year old by then but it's better than 12 years old.)

32 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Have a look in the Panel.cfg and if they are using fs9gps.cab change the entries to p3dgps.cab in both the 2D section and the VC section.

There is no entry like that at all in the panel.cfg of the A2A Comanche. I only see entries like 'gauge11=gps!gps_500' and nothing with .cab

50 minutes ago, J van E said:

Well, little problem here is that the LOC I was missing today is from an airport that doesn't come with Navigraph... So I would buy all this stuff and then end up with less destinations... and I would still have to resort to charts from other sources.

Actually, the new Navigraph beta has ENSG:

ensg.png

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen O'Connell

12 minutes ago, stephendoc said:

Actually, the new Navigraph beta has ENSG:

Ah! Thanks! That's interesting. The info on the Navigraph site (which shows all available airports in Norway) must be old (LODI): seems the Jeppesen charts have more Norwegian charts!

In fact... WOW! Your screenshots shows 9 airports and only ENRY can be found on the Navigraph site... which means that in your screenshot alone there are EIGHT new airports!?!?! Wow! My goodness! Could you perhaps count the number of Norwegian airports...?! The Navigraph site shows just 23 airports...! It seems Jeppesen has a LOT more charts! If that is so I might get a subscription after all! I mainly didn't want one because it seemed to offer just a few Norwegian airports!

(The site I use for charts has around 53 airports. I do like how that Jeppesen chart looks though: I compared your screenshot with my chart and the Jeppesen one is better imho. It's also nice to have similar charts for the entire world for whenever I decide to fly outside of Norway.)

4 minutes ago, J van E said:

seems the Jeppesen charts have more Norwegian charts!

It's the main reason Navigraph are switching to Jeppesen: almost twice the number of airports, if I recall correctly.

Walter Meier

Jeroen,

Yes, the coverage has increased dramatically with the new system. If you'd like you can check yourself, it is an open beta. Here are download links and info for the new apps. The screenshot is from the Desktop app. Norway has 51 airports in the new system compared to 23 before.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen O'Connell

22 minutes ago, stephendoc said:

Jeroen,

Yes, the coverage has increased dramatically with the new system. If you'd like you can check yourself, it is an open beta. Here are download links and info for the new apps. The screenshot is from the Desktop app. Norway has 51 airports in the new system compared to 23 before.

Cheers,

Stephen

Nice! Thanks for counting! :happy: 51 is pretty complete and a lot better indeed! And it is great to have all that data in P3D itself too with FSaerodata. That used to be one of the big problems: data between addons, charts and the sim itself not being in sync. But I don't have a subscription yet so I don't think I will be able to see anything in the beta. :happy: 

It is good to know it is there though. Now I know all this (and also that FSaerodata can update the sim itself and things can be used in the default GPS) I might get subscriptions after all.