Sign in to follow this  
Nick M

RXP GNS 530W V2 integration with A2A KAP 140 autopilot

Yes, if "connect GPS to VOR indicator" is enabled, the autopilot will intercept and track the GPS glideslope as it should. However, when this option is ticked and the GNS CDI mode is set to GPS, the GNS controls both the VOR1 and VOR2 gauges. In other words, the NAV2 radio can't be used for navigation at all, unless the GNS is in VLOC mode.

Hope that makes sense? Compare image 1 and image 2 if it helps, where NAV2 is tuned to the HQM VOR  (there's no approach loaded in the GNS). Even if I'm following a GPS flight plan or approach, it's always good to be able to use NAV2 and the VOR2 gauge to track ground-based navaids.

Nick 

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Ok we are getting closer!

If you "Connect GPS to VOR indicator", it uses "AutoNavSource" to override VOR1 or VOR2.

AutoNavSource is either automatic (in this case it is the same as the GPS "RadiosPair" setting, otherwise, you can specifically set it to the NAV# you'd want.

Can you please cross check your GPS#1 is COM1/NAV1 and AutoNavSource is automatic? 

If not, can you enforce AutoNavSource to NAV1 and see if your VOR2 indicator gets correct readouts?

If not, can you please swap the aircraft 'VOR2' with a default FltSim VOR2 gauge and see if there is a bug in either their VOR2 gauge (wrongly displaying VOR1 data), or a bug in our gauge (wrongly overriding VOR2 when it should override VOR1).

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Okay, thanks for the added information Jean-Luc; I agree that we seem to be getting there!

In answer to your questions...

1 hour ago, RXP said:

Can you please cross check your GPS#1 is COM1/NAV1 and AutoNavSource is automatic? 

Yes, the radio setting has always been "COM1 / NAV1" and VLOC source "Automatic (NAV1)".

1 hour ago, RXP said:

If not, can you enforce AutoNavSource to NAV1 and see if your VOR2 indicator gets correct readouts?

I tried changing it to "NAV1" too (and indeed "NAV2"), with no change in behaviour.

1 hour ago, RXP said:

If not, can you please swap the aircraft 'VOR2' with a default FltSim VOR2 gauge and see if there is a bug in either their VOR2 gauge (wrongly displaying VOR1 data), or a bug in our gauge (wrongly overriding VOR2 when it should override VOR1).

I took a slightly different approach, and just tested in the default P3D Maule. The result: if "connect GPS to VOR indicator" is selected, setting the GNS CDI option to GPS overrides both the VOR1 and VOR2 gauges as shown here, irrespective of whether the VLOC source option in the *.ini is set to "automatic", "NAV1" or "NAV2". (In the example, both NAV radios are tuned to a valid frequency, but their respective VOR indicators are each showing nav flags because they're being overridden by the GNS which doesn't have any GPS guidance active.)

From what you've said above, does this seem to indicate a bug with the RXP gauge?

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

This effectively resemble a GNS bug which overrides both instead of only one. We'll review this and keep you posted.

Thank you for the additional details Nick, and for your patience!

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I'll hand fly LPV approaches for now - I can always use the practice, especially in IMC!

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Hi Nick, a quick update to let you know there is a bug in GNS V2 which overrides both VOR when it shouldn't. We're fixing it and will issue an update.

Thanks Jean-Luc. Look forward to the update!

Actually, I have another quick question about integrating the GNS V2 with third-party add-ons such as those by A2A.

With the GNS V1, the 3-D modelled rotary knobs were apparently animated in the virtual cockpit and responded to mouse control; however, with V2 this feature does not work. Because of the lack of knob animation and sound effects, the feel of interacting with a real unit is rather unconvincing.

Just wondered if it's possible to address this in future?

Thanks,
Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Hi Nick,

You might want to activate the "Use Legacy 3rd Party Aircraft Panel (L:Vars)" option in the settings (it's added in the v2.3.1 update). When active, GNS V2 exports the set of variables 3rd party aircraft may have used to synchronize 3D knob rotation with 2D knob rotation.

Aha! Thanks for the tip. Yes, this works successfully once the aircraft in question is reloaded. :smile: No animation for the inner knob push action, but I presume this was a limitation of the GNS V1 integration too. (i.e. there's no L:Var for this event.)

Cheers,
Nick

• Upvote 1

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Hi Nick,

Good news: the bug is now found an corrected in our dev builds. It was a nasty little logic error hard to pin point, but so obvious once found.

We'll wrap a new build very soon with the fix.

Speaking of needles, we've also added a new set of options to 'scale' the HSI CDI/GSI needles independently (mind you, not the VOR, only the HSI). There seems to be a number of gauges that don't entirely adhere to the SDK documented scales, so this will permit calibrating the needles to the precise deviation.

Typically:

1. boot the GTN to the Instrument Test page
  2. open the Settings Panel (SHIFT+RIGHT click top edge)
  3. change the scale
  4. repeat to 2) until both gauge needles show 50% deviation

That's it!

Hi Jean-Luc,

Thanks for the update - I look forward to trying this one out.

With respect to the CDI and GSI animation in the A2A aircraft, both seem to be working as expected. It was just the autopilot tracking which was the issue.

In fact, on a (probably) unrelated note, I did test the A2A Comanche with the GNS 530 installed and observed the same behaviour described in this thread. Once I have your build installed, I'll retest with both the A2A autopilot simulations and let you know if there seem to be any outstanding issues.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Very interesting thread !

And it shows (again) how great the rxp support is (and speaks to his customers with respect, not the case of all payware addons creators)

Regards.

Nicolas

• Upvote 2

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

41 minutes ago, nirgal76 said:

Very interesting thread !

And it shows (again) how great the rxp support is (and speaks to his customers with respect, not the case of all payware addons creators)

Regards.

Nicolas

+1

• Upvote 1

I've read different ways of getting the V2 to "work" with A2A's KAP-140 AP. I've had no luck getting it 100% functional.. 

1) OBS Not linked to CDI 

2) No lateral/vertical guidance (LPV etc)

3) During ILS approach GPS says to switch to VLOC -> No lateral guidance only vertical & unable to ARM APPR

Would you please reach out to A2A and get it 100% compatible somehow? Using their AC Config to install the 530 would be a good first step....