Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

FSX-SE minimizes to task bar when opening the assistant

I am unable to add the RXP GNS to a default plane in FSX:SE.  It simply minimizes the sim when I select from the add-on menu.  I tried windowed and full screen.  I am able to get this menu in the A2A Comanche, but apparently adding with the menu in the sim does nothing. 

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

6 hours ago, Orlaam said:

I am able to get this menu in the A2A Comanche, but apparently adding with the menu in the sim does nothing. 

Another customer is reporting the same issue with FSX-SE. Just to make sure I understand:

• The other aircraft you've tried were manually edited? 
  • The add-on menu is working correctly otherwise when the A2A Comanche is the loaded aircraft, but minimizes the main sim window with another loaded aircraft?

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

3 hours ago, RXP said:

Another customer is reporting the same issue with FSX-SE. Just to make sure I understand:

• The other aircraft you've tried were manually edited? 
  • The add-on menu is working correctly otherwise when the A2A Comanche is the loaded aircraft, but minimizes the main sim window with another loaded aircraft?

Yes, both correct 

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Ok, now I get this. What about trying the add-on menu with a default FSX-SE aircraft then, such as the B58 or the C172?

Furthermore, can you please repro the situation it minimizes to the taskbar, then right away, see "my documents\rxpGNS2_menu.dll.log" file for any content?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

6 hours ago, RXP said:

Ok, now I get this. What about trying the add-on menu with a default FSX-SE aircraft then, such as the B58 or the C172?

Furthermore, can you please repro the situation it minimizes to the taskbar, then right away, see "my documents\rxpGNS2_menu.dll.log" file for any content?

OK but that was what I tried doing.  Adding to a default Cessna.  It won't do it with the menu utility.  It just minimizes the sim to desktop.  I'll look at the log.

- Chris

What I meant is start the sim with a default aircraft. Once on the runway ready to fly, go to the add-ons menu and see how it goes. Then if it minimizes again, before doing anything else, check the log. 

On September 2, 2017 at 2:27 AM, Orlaam said:

It simply minimizes the sim when I select from the add-on menu.

After re-reading the thread, I'm wondering if we are talking about the same thing and I'd need you to clarify.

do you mean

1) Open the add-on menu, select Reality XP GNS, select "Setup Aircraft...", then it minimizes the simulator window?

2) Open the add-on menu, select Reality XP GNS, select "Setup Aircraft...", the settings panel shows up, you make your changes, then when your click 'Apply', it minimizes the simulator window?

If the latter (2), it is probably because in case it can't save the modified panel.cfg file, or if it can't save a backup copy of the panel.cfg file, it will prompt you with more information about the operation. This is a standard windows prompt, not something our assistant panel displays nor manages.

Can you please clarify this point please? This is the last item holding the release of the update!

54 minutes ago, RXP said:

This is the last item holding the release of the update!

:ohmy:

1 hour ago, RXP said:

After re-reading the thread, I'm wondering if we are talking about the same thing and I'd need you to clarify.

do you mean

1) Open the add-on menu, select Reality XP GNS, select "Setup Aircraft...", then it minimizes the simulator window?

2) Open the add-on menu, select Reality XP GNS, select "Setup Aircraft...", the settings panel shows up, you make your changes, then when your click 'Apply', it minimizes the simulator window?

If the latter (2), it is probably because in case it can't save the modified panel.cfg file, or if it can't save a backup copy of the panel.cfg file, it will prompt you with more information about the operation. This is a standard windows prompt, not something our assistant panel displays nor manages.

Can you please clarify this point please? This is the last item holding the release of the update!

Sorry, I've been busy and haven't even been able to open the sim.  Work :-/

Anyhow, it's option one.  I load a default Cessna for example, click on the add-on menu (e.g., FSUIPC, Active Sky Wx request ...).  I mouse over the Reality Xp and select the option to setup aircraft. At that point it minimizes the sim. Windowed or full screen, it doesn't matter. Nothing even happens except for a minimizing of the sim from full screen. Windowed mode doesn't minimize, it just shuts the sound off, bringing the desktop to the front per the task manager, if that makes sense.  In other words, that menu does nothing for me in FSX:SE.  The only thing that works is if the gauge is already installed and I shift click on the top of the GNS to set up the options per the manual. Make sense?

If you still need that log I'll try and run it today later when I get time. 

- Chris

2 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

if you still need that log I'll try and run it today later when I get time. 

This is paramount because any failure is reported in this log file.

The symptoms you're describing is as-if the assistant is not able to find your FS Main window.

For the details: This is a fairly standard Windows function which find a window by class name (FindWindowEx), and this is the same we are using also for the settings panel to make sure it displays on top.

We need to find the FS window, and tell the assistant or the settings panels to display on top of it. Since on your system this works for the settings panel, but not for the assistant, there could be a number of reasons and the log file is the best option to find out first.

• Upvote 1

I don't have that log... :mellow:

Reality_Xp.jpg

- Chris

Ok, this means there is no error detected, so what we'll do, is add some code so that the GNS menu gives more details in the log file, which hopefully will help us understand and track down this issue.

• Upvote 1

Yes, other customer with same problem in "FSX" only, not FSX-SE. It goes directly to taskbar. No windows of any kind stay open. Click on the icon (FSX), on task bar and it will open back up in windowed mode, then alt+enter, and back into full windowed mode. Also does the fact that I also have the older version of the unit have any effect on the situation at all?

4 minutes ago, semaj said:

Also does the fact that I also have the older version of the unit have any effect on the situation at all?

Hi, this shouldn't have any such effect. Nevertheless, I've sent you a PM with the link to the official 2.3.1 update thread, now available for you to try. Please keep me posted if this solves this issue.

I have been watching for changes in this thread because of I a very similar (if the not same problem in FSX-SE). I have attempted to install the updates and seen no difference/improvement.

I have been able to manually install the V2 GPS as a popup window adding the configurations manually in the panel.cfg file for the aircraft I want to add a GPS, I do this by creating a gauge in the window section at the front of the panel.cfg and also a virtual window at the end of the file (like we used to do in V1 of RXP). This gives me operative v2 GPS as a popup, accessible through the instrument views in the menu.

However if I try to use the addon and customize (the manually added) v2 GPS via the assistant, it minimizes the window and although the sim does not crash to the desktop, I am unable to maximize (alt+enter) to get back to the sim and the have to close FSX-SE and re-start.

I have purchased both the 430 and 530 versions.

The assistant does work normally in my P3D. versions 3 and 4, so it is something with my (i suspect my installation path in the registry) FSX-SE that is different.

From a historical setup environment perspective, I had the box version of FSX installed which became unstable and could not reinstall (issue with Microsoft not supporting the license server anymore), then purchased FSE-SE, after and had to tweak my registry to point the installers to the FSX-SE location via tips/pointers that have been published through the years.

Is there a way to config the assistant to point to the path of where my FSX-SE is installed - manually?

As per the above, These are all log file in "my documents" to help you.

rxpGNS2.gau.log

17/09/17 00:08:14.746 07776 -    ] # rxpGNS2.dll version 2.3.0.0
17/09/17 00:08:14.748 07776 INFO ]

rxpGNS2_menu.dll.log

17/08/31 02:32:51.580 08172 -    ] # rxpGNS2_menu.dll version 2.0.0.0
17/08/31 02:33:14.433 08172 ERROR] can't open Pilatus PC-9/A (T) - IRIS 'Evolution' Display Team panel: path is empty
17/08/31 02:37:26.079 08172 ERROR] can't open Pilatus PC-9/A (T) - IRIS 'Evolution' Display Team panel: path is empty
17/08/31 02:37:49.984 08172 ERROR] can't open Pilatus PC-9/A (T) - IRIS 'Evolution' Display Team panel: path is empty

rxpGnsSim.dll.log

17/09/17 00:08:19.306 07776 -    ] # rxpGnsSim32.dll version 2.3.0.0

Charles (Chuck) Nicholas

Flight Sim Hobbiest