Sign in to follow this  
Vnavspeed

Should i expect good performance with this build ?

Hello fellow aviators ,  brothers and sisters

I think the time has come to get rid of my write-off and build a new one with a sort of limited budget. First of all im planning to put an i7 7700k on a Z270 chipset MOBO which will probably be MSI Z270 SLI plus ( good price , very nice features such as SLI support) , GTX 1060 6GB 192 bit GPU (looks promising tho), 16 GB DDr4 Ram 3000MHZ,  corsair liquid cooling ( just in case i get to fry the cpu during an overlock attempt lol). I'm not planning to put an SSD for now since it does not make a huge difference except for loading time. So i need the opinions of other simmers for this build and i need to know that if i can run p3d v4 on this machine smoothly with decent graphics. 

Thanks in advance

Have safe flights all 

Intel Core i5 9600K 4.7GHZ / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus / MSI Nvidia RTX 2060 Super Ventus GP OC / Corsair 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHZ RAM / Corsair MP510 480GB M2 SSD / Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 RGB

hey ho, i think about a similar system.

and as far as i can read in the other threads depending on your settings and addons .....  performance should be very good with your config

• Upvote 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

14 hours ago, IAEV2500 said:

So i need the opinions of other simmers for this build

What screen resolution are you planning to run at? Whilst the CPU is usually the most important component for a flight sim (and your choice is good), at the higher resolutions the 1060 may become the limiting factor.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I agree with Vortex681, the Nvidia 1060 is a little weak and is likely going to limit your computer's potential.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

At 1080P the card is plenty.

any higher consider 1070 or 1080ti if budget allows

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

With a i5 or i7 for a decent bit of processing power (more recent versions, i.e 7th or 8th generation versions of them which support AVX), DDR4 ram on the motherboard and a GPU with DDR5 then you should be good to go. But you might also consider AMD chips too, as they can sometimes be found for less money, although in fairness, going with an LGA 1151 socket on the motherboard will probably offer a bit more scope for newer CPUs down the line. Be aware that older operating systems don't always play nicely with modern hardware chips too.

Make sure your motherboard is fully pci 3.0 compatible and also make sure you have a PSU which has an eight pin plug for the GPU. If you do end up with having to get a new PSU, go for something decent, such as a Corsair one, preferably one which is kicking out 650W or more, cheap PSUs which don't put out stable power, or the advertised level are one of the things which cause problems on systems, so that is one thing you should never cut corners on.

Shop around a bit for the GPU though as prices can vary wildly and some bargains can be found, and just because many people go with Nvidia GPUs doesn't mean you have to, there are some very good Radeon GPUs out there and they can often be found for a lot less money. I think I paid about 300 quid for an RX480 which has 8Gb of DDR5 on it and runs all flight sims very well (i.e. 140 fps on P3D V4 and about 50 fps on the currently not yet optimised FSW).

It's true that at the moment the CPU is important for a lot of flight sims, but that is changing and more stuff is being loaded onto the GPU, so get the best one you can afford.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thank you everyone for taking time to share your opinions. I'll run the p3d v4 on a 1080p monitor so GTX 1060 6Gig will do the job from what i hear in the comments. As you guys said, i'll then consider upgrading gpu to 1070 or 1080 if i decide to get a new 2k or 4k uhd monitor. 

Intel Core i5 9600K 4.7GHZ / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus / MSI Nvidia RTX 2060 Super Ventus GP OC / Corsair 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHZ RAM / Corsair MP510 480GB M2 SSD / Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 RGB