Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

FSX Freeze - ~20 minutes

Another thing I might suggest is watching heat buildup.  Search for and download HWMonitor, a small utility which tracks motherboard, cpu and gpu heat.  Research the specs on your cpu, make sure the temp is below the max operating temp for the cpu cores.  I had a fan failure on my old system and my system would shut down about ten minutes after start.  I pulled the side cover off, and placed a small desk fan aimed at the cpu, which kept the cores cooler than the original cpu fan.  I could then run FSX all day without it locking.  Sadly, Windows Update crashed my old system and I ended up buying a new one, long overdue anyway, since Windows 10 would have required a reformat and full install from Vista.

Heat buildup is just a thought, another might be a runaway scenery file taking up RAM.  Some scenery that does not use textures require that you delete the empty texture folder, otherwise FSX will keep hunting for textures there, soaking up resources.  Especially true of landclass and photoreal scenery.  It's an old bug which never went away, part of how MSFS locates scenery resources.

Hope this helps,

John

Hey guys, I'm having a very similar issue to the OP, except mine doesn't give me any details about what has caused the crash, it just stops and my mouse hand turns to a spinning wheel endlessly and I have to get out by hitting the windows button on my keyboard. It usually happens after about 20/30 mins too. 

My knowledge on most things PC based is extremely limited but have certainly tried. I have read something about an automationcore file (no clue what it does), initially some guy said to take it out then I read elsewhere that I shouldn't, I really don't know though what to do.

My system is windows 10, AMD A9 RADEON R5 5 COMPUTE CORES 2.9GHZ  8GB RAM 

I use the PMDG 777, 737 and AEROSOFT 320/21. 

I will note it happens more with the PMDG products than with the 320, although it still happens with the aero 320 quite a lot. I have pulled back the display settings the whole way to see if it makes any difference but it hasn't.

I didn't wanna start a new thread with the same issue so just thought i'd post here

I would greatly appreciate any help!

1 hour ago, samirbrihi said:

Hey guys, I'm having a very similar issue to the OP, except mine doesn't give me any details about what has caused the crash, it just stops and my mouse hand turns to a spinning wheel endlessly and I have to get out by hitting the windows button on my keyboard. It usually happens after about 20/30 mins too. 

My knowledge on most things PC based is extremely limited but have certainly tried. I have read something about an automationcore file (no clue what it does), initially some guy said to take it out then I read elsewhere that I shouldn't, I really don't know though what to do.

My system is windows 10, AMD A9 RADEON R5 5 COMPUTE CORES 2.9GHZ  8GB RAM 

I use the PMDG 777, 737 and AEROSOFT 320/21. 

I will note it happens more with the PMDG products than with the 320, although it still happens with the aero 320 quite a lot. I have pulled back the display settings the whole way to see if it makes any difference but it hasn't.

I didn't wanna start a new thread with the same issue so just thought i'd post here

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Please start a new topic.  When we have several issues for different individuals it gets confusing to everyone.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

17 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

Another thing I might suggest is watching heat buildup.  Search for and download HWMonitor, a small utility which tracks motherboard, cpu and gpu heat.  Research the specs on your cpu, make sure the temp is below the max operating temp for the cpu cores.  I had a fan failure on my old system and my system would shut down about ten minutes after start.  I pulled the side cover off, and placed a small desk fan aimed at the cpu, which kept the cores cooler than the original cpu fan.  I could then run FSX all day without it locking.  Sadly, Windows Update crashed my old system and I ended up buying a new one, long overdue anyway, since Windows 10 would have required a reformat and full install from Vista.

Heat buildup is just a thought, another might be a runaway scenery file taking up RAM.  Some scenery that does not use textures require that you delete the empty texture folder, otherwise FSX will keep hunting for textures there, soaking up resources.  Especially true of landclass and photoreal scenery.  It's an old bug which never went away, part of how MSFS locates scenery resources.

Hope this helps,

John

Thanks for the info. I did have a cooling problem but then I upgraded CPU, Motherboard and cooling system with a Kraken X62 all-in-one Liquid Cooling System. The thing is a monster and really does the job. 

Jim, 

While isolating and rebuilding selected FSX files per the CTD Guide recommendations, I noticed scenery.cfg in the primary FSX file AND in AppData along with FSX.cfg, dll.xml and others. Is it correct that scenery.cfg would be located in two separate folders? 

1 hour ago, LDP1949 said:

Jim, 

While isolating and rebuilding selected FSX files per the CTD Guide recommendations, I noticed scenery.cfg in the primary FSX file AND in AppData along with FSX.cfg, dll.xml and others. Is it correct that scenery.cfg would be located in two separate folders? 

The scenery.cfg in the same folder as the fsx.cfg is not a working config.  It was put there by Microsoft as the default scenery.cfg.  So, when you delete the one in c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX it will be replaced by the one in the same AppData folder where the FSX.cfg resides.  The dll.xml is also located in the same folder as the FSX.cfg but it will not be rebuilt if you remove it as it was put there by another program such as FSDT or the FSUIPC.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10