Sign in to follow this  
asianwings

P3D vs FSX SE

I had FSX on my old system, visually the two sims are very close.  I noted P3D has updated landclass.  Some of the cities however are not as realistic.  For instance San Francisco in FSX has the Transamerica pyramid, P3d doesn't.  P3D also does not render the freedom tower in NWC.  Not sure why such landmarks are missing from the sim although I mostly fly outside of these areas anyway.  I have Xp-11 which does not even include the Golden Gate bridge.  Airports in all sims are rendered quite realistically.  Also I should note that P3dv4 has cloud shadows with no real impact on performance on my system, makes it a bit more realistic IMHO.

I have my fps locked at 33 fps and I've never dipped below that, even with some AI.

John

Edit: I should add, make sure your system specs fall into line with P3d.  For comparison mine are:

Windows 10 64 bit

I7700 - 3.6 GHZ four core

GTX 1060 - 3 GB VRAM

8GB memory

1TB HD

Hope that helps

P3dv4 is stutter free at these specs with no blurries

Edited by cmpbellsjc
Edited out EULA language

Fellows, let's not start discussing the licensing options and/or which license to buy.

I edited and hid some of the conversation that was drifting that direction.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You might still be able to extract some mileage from FSX SE if you have invested in lot of add-ons & you have a stable sim without too many OOM issues. Not all add-ons yet are available (FSL A320, Majestic Q400 to name a few, there are airports as well) though they do have a roadmap to make v4 versions available in near future. Some add-ons have offered free upgrade to v4 platform while some have charged a nominal upgrade fee while some are requiring you to pay a full price for v4 version. You need to factor these costs as well accordingly when you are moving to v4.

Decision is yours - v4 certainly looks promising & way forward but if you have a good setup with FSX SE, you might be able to push the decision out for a little while & then take the plunge.

FSX SE with Steves DX10 fixer is an excellent alternative to P3D

If you dont get OOMS then there really is no reason to spend up big to P3D v4

However if you want to fly with all sliders right and in PMDG over ORBX full fat regions and into Payware airports and you dont want to risk an OOM then V4 is all the rage

ZORAN

14 hours ago, asianwings said:

Hey. So I own FSX SE and I want to buy P3D but im not sure which one to play

If you're talking in terms of 'playing' then I suggest stick with FSX SE

• Upvote 1

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

Dont go blowing big dollars yet.

wait and stick with whatever you have IMO and let the sim wars play out ,there is some exciting stuff going on  and give it a year or 2 when there is more direction and then jump in head first with the 'chosen one" :biggrin:

ZORAN