Sign in to follow this  
rfresh737

Joystick buttons vs Keyboard buttons

On my LogiTech joystick I can press a button and have my FSX app detect it. I recently bought a LogicTech G13 Gaming Pad, but those buttons act like keyboard buttons and they don't respond to my app like the buttons on my joystick.

Why do these 'buttons' behave differently on a keyboard device vs a joystick device?

Thanks...

*G-key programming requires Logitech® Gaming Software, available at gaming.logitech.com/support.

N99WB

I did go to that site and I did download their software, but it's a keyboard macro application basically, for the keys. So the G13 is still seen by my PC (and thus FSX) as a keyboard device and not as a joystick device. So, unless I'm missing something here, the G13 won't meet my needs.

My hunt continues for a device with buttons on it that is seen as a joystick by FSX.

Thanks for that info, however, that's way too much work! I'd rather just buy an existing product (if one exists) or I'll just do without.

Many thanks to all who posted help!!

Hi Ralph,

Can you explain what the problem actually is with the G13 behaving as a keyboard? I just assign a keyboard shortcut in the simulator settings for a particular action and assign that same keyboard shortcut to a button on my G13.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Will the Logitech G 13 work in Windows 10 ?  Thanks in advance. 

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

10 minutes ago, mjw25 said:

Will the Logitech G 13 work in Windows 10 ?  Thanks in advance. 

Hi Michael,

My G13 works just fine in Windows 10. Installing the Logitech gaming software was a bit problematic though: believe it or not, I has to disconnect my DVD drive, otherwise the installer would cause a complete system freeze.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Hi Marrten,

My G13 works fine with my Windows 10. There is no problem with it. It works 'as designed'. The problem I am having is that it is a keyboard device. I don't want to use up more hot keys.

On my joystick I have several 'buttons' and I can assign my camera views to any one of those buttons and they do not use hot keys like a keyboard does. So I can assign 8 camera views to my joystick buttons and not use any keyboard hot keys to do that. I was trying to find a gaming control pad (not gaming keypad) with buttons on it that would work like my joystick but I have not found such a device. Perhaps they don't make one with their buttons that act like joystick buttons.

There is something different about the two devices: a keypad device such as the G13 and a joystick device. They plug into your PC but are seen as different type of device to FSX. I'm still trying to find out what that difference is.

@n99wb thanks for that G13 review link, but as I now found out, the G13 is a keyboard device and that won't work for me.

Would an ordinary game pad work Ralph? At the very least you would have 12 buttons; the "joysticks" would only show as "axis" I guess.

I'm talking about a standard XBox or Playstation controller Ralph, you can pick them up quite cheaply on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=game+pads

I use one, along with a steering wheel, on a different sim and the controller shows up in MSFS so you should be able to assign buttons via the MSFS controller setup screen.