Sign in to follow this  
flyalways

thoughts on v3 & v4

@GEKtheReaper You can turn off speed trees and dynamic lights?

As for addons: You are right, some of them are still not there for v4.

15 minutes ago, swiesma said:

@GEKtheReaper You can turn off speed trees and dynamic lights?

As for addons: You are right, some of them are still not there for v4.

Yes! Speed trees i definately turned off (and I'm back to OBX Trees HD). Turning off dynamic lights does work but you will no longer have ACFT lights illuminating the ground (at least not with PMDG 737NGX). So at this Point I have to turn the Setting on.

PS: I hope EDDM gets a v4 Version soon ;).

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

16 hours ago, GEKtheReaper said:

I actualy reverted yesterday to FSX:SE :(.

V4 is steady, no crashes what so ever, but the Thing with dynamic Vegetation and the lights...this Needs more refinament.

I did revert due the lack of addons: no buss-es, few PW sceneries in EU, no Freeware sceneries at all at this Point...

I will definately wait another year or so to install it again. 

actually I did that too, there was no addon for v4 and I did revert to v3 for some reason.  

I sat on the fence for a very long time enjoying FSX with DX10 fixer.  Finally made the leap over to P3Dv4 this past Monday and will not look back.  The performance out of the box is just jaw dropping and honestly I feel there is no need for external tuners like John said in the first part of this topic.  Other than the huge cost to transition, no regrets at all.  

• Upvote 1

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

I have literally not had a single crash since moving to v4 from FSX-SE. Solid as a rock, massively better performance, looks great. As Dylan said, only downside is the cost of switching. Other than that, total no-brainer.

James

On 04/09/2017 at 1:26 PM, DylanC said:

The performance out of the box is just jaw dropping...

But you could say the same thing about FSX performance "out of the box" - without any add-ons installed, FSX really flies (sorry about the pun!). It's only when you start to add things to it that performance gradually drops off. The only fair comparison would be with the same add-ons installed in each.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Performance with compatible addons is also jaw dropping - I was flying around NYC-X and it was silky smooth. Even got a "wow" out of the wife as she walked by...

12 hours ago, vortex681 said:

But you could say the same thing about FSX performance "out of the box" - without any add-ons installed, FSX really flies (sorry about the pun!). It's only when you start to add things to it that performance gradually drops off. The only fair comparison would be with the same add-ons installed in each.

FSX out of the box and P3Dv4 out of the box are two very different animals.  You can clearly see the difference, but I understand what you're getting at.  Anyway, I have since installed most of the addons I had in FSX with the exception of REX and P3D remains rock solid at 25-30 FPS. Even if there is a further degradation in FPS temporarily, you don't really notice since the Sim remains smooth.  There in lies the major difference between FSX being 32bit and P3Dv4.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

On 9/4/2017 at 1:35 AM, willy647 said:

Mine is steady as a rock, straight out of the box. Just stay away from non v4 addons

Does this include non v4 aircraft or just scenery/weather/etc?

Everything - some slight incompatibility in a gauge can crash your system easily.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:26 AM, DylanC said:

I sat on the fence for a very long time enjoying FSX with DX10 fixer.  Finally made the leap over to P3Dv4 this past Monday and will not look back.  The performance out of the box is just jaw dropping and honestly I feel there is no need for external tuners like John said in the first part of this topic.  Other than the huge cost to transition, no regrets at all.  

I am thinking about moving over to version 4 from FSX. I have lots of addons, PMDG aircraft etc, etc, so it will be expensive. Not really having any issues with FSX performance or VAS issues either.  Looking at the AVSIM P3D guide it sure looks like P3d is very time consuming to set up, and after setting up and installing all the addons, high maintenance with respect to in version updates which themselves require reinstallation of the sim,  (not sure what happens to all of one's settings with that),  and also requiring reinstallation of many addons and potential significant conflicts due to addons not working with the newer in version updates.

I would not like to have to reinstall my sceneries, planes, weather engine, cameras etc over and over, with each update of the version 4, or risk having all of my Saitek control button assignments have to be  redone over and over. Would be extremely time consuming.

Any comments from folks on this issue as a big downside to moving over to P3D? Or other downsides to moving over to P3D?

Thanks

Greg

Greg Clark

It's not that big of a deal if you plan ahead but several things come to mind - 

P3D is FAR easier to set up initially than FSX. Initial problems come from users who switch from FSX and immediately try to apply all the tweaks that have been developed. They are not necessary in P3D.

High maintenance? AS opposed to FSX which is dead, I guess you could say that ANY update is high maintenance. The product is still under development and growing so you are essentially complaining about P3D keeping itself state of the art.

The interim updates do NOT require reinstallation of the sim - a full new version would yes. But for minor updates, P3D is broken down into modules and usually it's only one or two that require updating, most of the time without ANY need to reinstall or reconfigure.

The biggest downside is that *some* of the addons will either have to be repurchased or have to pay a small update fee. There are still many of the ld FSX titles that easily import and run in P3D. And developers are now making native content for P3D.

and it's 64bit

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have V4 and I just added MSE California to it with excellent results, although it was a grueling download and install.  My FSX Colorado photoreal scenery works in V4 along with my FSDS2 Trike (which did not work right in FSX, the prop would turn invisible against the clouds).  In V4 I find a lot of subtle bugs fixed.  For instance, in FSX, buildings would sometimes disappear when photoscenery was used without autogen.  They fixed this bug, which I reported in the FSX beta too late for release of SP 2.  And the previously mentioned transparency issue was fixed which means I might be able to use some other freeware legacy aircraft.

V4 has been rock solid with one slight exception, for some reason I cannot start the sim at Napa, the sim crashes.  I have to start at some other airport, then switch to Napa.  I had such oddities in FSX too, might be aircraft related.  I know I will figure it out.  If it doesn't work one way, there's always another.

John

4 hours ago, vgbaron said:

It's not that big of a deal if you plan ahead but several things come to mind - 

P3D is FAR easier to set up initially than FSX. Initial problems come from users who switch from FSX and immediately try to apply all the tweaks that have been developed. They are not necessary in P3D.

High maintenance? AS opposed to FSX which is dead, I guess you could say that ANY update is high maintenance. The product is still under development and growing so you are essentially complaining about P3D keeping itself state of the art.

The interim updates do NOT require reinstallation of the sim - a full new version would yes. But for minor updates, P3D is broken down into modules and usually it's only one or two that require updating, most of the time without ANY need to reinstall or reconfigure.

The biggest downside is that *some* of the addons will either have to be repurchased or have to pay a small update fee. There are still many of the ld FSX titles that easily import and run in P3D. And developers are now making native content for P3D.

and it's 64bit

Vic

Hi Vic,

I appreciate your comments on this. Hearing from a real world user as opposed to trying to figure things out from documentation is very helpful, and it appears that some of my concerns were overblown.

Greg

Greg Clark