I did an upgrade recently to a 1070 (albeit coming from a 770) and I'm very happy.  I couldn't justify going to a 1080 since I "only" game in 2k.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Only you can answer the "worth" question, but performance (FPS) you'll be able to increase the GPU intensive sliders (reflections, shadows, DL, SSAA) with the 1080Ti.  nVidia Volta is supposed to be out end of this year or early next year -- the Volta is supposed to be about 2X faster than the TitanXP/1080Ti.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: assuming of course you have a reasonably good CPU.

Would the i7 4790k work with the volta gpu?

2 hours ago, mikeymike said:

4790K is fairly new cpu, I am quite sure that your motherboard will be able to run the volta gpus when they are out.

The current 1080 recommends user to have i7 3.2ghz cpu but it is mostly down to pci express 3 (which you already have) and power supply is the main one.  Latest generation recommendation is 500W Power Supply unit.  I have 750W and my power supply is from 2009, everything still works great

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

7 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

4790K is fairly new cpu, I am quite sure that your motherboard will be able to run the volta gpus when they are out.

The current 1080 recommends user to have i7 3.2ghz cpu but it is mostly down to pci express 3 (which you already have) and power supply is the main one.  Latest generation recommendation is 500W Power Supply unit.  I have 750W and my power supply is from 2009, everything still works great

Thanks 

I have an 850w psu with an asus vi extreme mobo

8 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Until I get one I can't confirm anything, but I'd be VERY surprised if the GPU was not PCIe3 compliant, so I would expect a 4790K to work well.

Cheers, Rob.

15 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Vidia Volta is supposed to be out end of this year or early next year -- the Volta is supposed to be about 2X faster than the TitanXP/1080Ti.

OH NO! I thought I could avoid a new video card.... One more invest...It seems that my decent 980TI is going to be retired in favour of the Volta then...

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I bet a million dollars that the first Volta release will be nowhere near "2x 1080Ti". Never had such jumps anymore in the last 10 years unless you compare unrealistic high settings (means: 4K with 4xSSAA, then maybe yes...).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

Never had such jumps anymore in the last 10 years unless you compare unrealistic high settings

How are you able to define "unrealistically high settings"?  Typically the higher one's graphic settings the more "realistic" the virtual world looks, so I would imagine the highest possible graphics settings is always the goal, the rest is a compromise.

From the information I've obtain, it was pretty close to 2X, maybe 1.85X over the Titan XP ... but early days and how that will translate to FPS in flight sims is still very much "unknown" ... but since AA, Dynamic Lights, Dynamic Reflections, Shadows, PBR/HDR, cost effective 8K displays (just around the corner) are all GPU intensive so there certainly is a market for the Volta and beyond.

Cheers, Rob.

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

I bet a million dollars that the first Volta release will be nowhere near "2x 1080Ti". Never had such jumps anymore in the last 10 years unless you compare unrealistic high settings (means: 4K with 4xSSAA, then maybe yes...).

Until actual benchmarks appear with XP11 and P3d4, I have to agree with your odds makers. But one has to have some faith in nVidia. Their market is now broadly based and PC add-on GPU boards are becoming less important to them with every passing month.

As a few people say here about P3d4, "We are not their primary market." The same statement holds true for nVidia. Because of CUDA, their GPUs are used in a wide variety of products. But just like with LM and P3d4, the rising tide of technology raises all seaplanes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

As a few people say here about P3d4, "We are not their primary market." The same statement holds true for nVidia.

I'll disagree with that ... gaming market is just as demanding on GPUs ... 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10864/discrete-desktop-gpu-market-trends-q3-2016/4

To quote that article from nVidia rep "“Demand was strong in every geographic region across desktop and notebook, and across the full gaming audience, from GTX 1050 to the TITAN X.”

Cheers, Rob.

the price is what frightens me..i never dreamed that a video card could cost £7 8 900 pounds.

my first thought was" noone is going to buy them for that cost" now it's normal to see cards for £800 pounds

what these new cards are going to be is  probably way beyond my bank balance

steve

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I'll disagree with that ... gaming market is just as demanding on GPUs ... 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10864/discrete-desktop-gpu-market-trends-q3-2016/4

To quote that article from nVidia rep "“Demand was strong in every geographic region across desktop and notebook, and across the full gaming audience, from GTX 1050 to the TITAN X.”

Cheers, Rob.

You misunderstood my analogy. If you've read anything about nVidia recently, they are selling more and more of their GPUs to industry for embedded commercial applications. This "market broadening" benefits all GPU users even those in the shrinking PC market.

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

From the information I've obtain, it was pretty close to 2X, maybe 1.85X over the Titan XPCheers, Rob.

Cool--the trusty old 3930K@4.42Ghz/GTX Titan should carry me to 8700K/Volta.  I should notice the difference in this upgrade whoohoo!

The Core i7-8700K will also take residence as the flagship part in the Coffee Lake lineup. During an overseas presentation, Intel claimed it would offer an 11 percent gain in single-threaded performance versus the current Core i7-7700K, and a 51 percent jump in multi-threaded performance, the latter of which is partially attributable to having more cores and threads at its disposal.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

If you've read anything about nVidia recently, they are selling more and more of their GPUs to industry for embedded commercial applications.

I wouldn't say "more", nVidia have certainly increased their growth in that area by 24% at $140M (keep in mind nVidia's total revenue was $2B), but "core" PC gaming business grew another 54%.  

The PC market isn't shrinking unless you use pre-built computers from folks like "Dell, Lenovo, HP Inc., Apple, Asus, Acer" ... then yes "their" market share is going down ... but that's NOT the PC gaming market nor the PC components market.  Where these "PC decline" numbers fail as a market indicator is in components sales.  One of the very reasons one buys a PC is due to it's ability to interchange and upgrade components (as we see in evidence here on AVSIM and all over the web of people upgrading components).  

One simply can't "find" this data by looking at "Dell, Lenovo, HP Inc, Apple, Asus, Acer", yet many have bought into the "decline" not realizing what has been really happening in the PC market ... there is huge growth in component sales (CPU, GPU, SSD, VR headsets, monitors, cases, water cooling, lights, etc.) ... all of which are used to upgrade any PC (even if one's original PC was a Dell or Lenovo, or HP, etc.).  It's impossible to get "component" data and a true understanding of the health of the PC market.

Just as the predictions that everyone was going Mobile, and everyone was going console games ... etc. etc.  it hasn't happened ... mobile growth has stabilized, console growth has stabilized (Wii 101M, PS4 60M units, XBox 26M units, phones/tablets around 1Billion) desktop PC's still hold the number one stop of about 2 Billion worldwide still in use.  PC's, Mobile, consoles all hit their respective saturation points.

Current trends is the growth in VR, but just like all other technology growth, it'll find it's stabilization point and monitors will still be the dominant display ... 12M VR headsets is still a very very small segment of the potential 2-3 Billion.

My 2 cents.

Cheers, Rob.

But only a miniscule percentage of those "2 billion" PCs are used for serious gaming.