I upgraded from a 980TI to a 1080Ti ,couldn't be happier.Fantastic card IMHO .All though I have the luxury of selling the 980Ti down the family line .

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

only a miniscule percentage of those "2 billion" PCs are used for serious gaming

That would contradict nVidia's high end GPU sales figures ... desktop gaming GPU's are still "core" to nVidia's business and they keep reporting very good growth every year in that sector.  Gaming/Simulation have always driven the high end hardware sector and continue to do so and apparently consumers are buying Pascal based GPUs.  I think multi-GPU configurations are perhaps declining, but that's more to do with the lack of programming support and API that can fully leverage multi-GPU being bound to Win10 (aka DX112 EMA SFR).

Cheers, Rob.

Again, nVidia's target market is changing as the consumer PC sector continues to weaken. Read here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/technology/nvidia-chipmaker.html

Many other high tech companies that are closely tied to the PC market are suffering but nVidia had the foresight to plan for the future (which is already here).

No matter, my point was that without embedded GPUs in appliances and cars etc., nVidia wouldn't have have the wherewithal to provide flagship gaming GPUs.

Well, according to this article, selling "gaming GPUs" still make up more than 50% of the total revenue of nVIDIA and it was increasing compared to the year before:

"Revenue from the company’s gaming business, which includes the popular GeForce graphics card series, rose nearly 50 percent to $1.03 billion. The business accounted for 53 percent of the company’s total revenue in the quarter."

Cited from: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nvidia-results/nvidias-data-center-business-powers-revenue-beat-idUSKBN1852GB

Of course, this includes all the small chips used in mobile devices etc.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I am curious why I am able to get by despite only having 3GB on my video card?  I thought that would be the weak link in my store bought system but it runs quite well.  Do the video cards use system RAM at all when they run low?  My performance is solid not only in P3d and XP11 but also No Limits Coaster sim, which has some pretty immersive graphics in version 2.   The Valley benchmark from UIEngine runs at 70fps.  I know there are 8GB vid cards out there (I think the one on my old system was 8GB).  Are there apps which tax the VRAM more than the sims we use?

John

7 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I am curious why I am able to get by despite only having 3GB on my video card?  I thought that would be the weak link in my store bought system but it runs quite well.  Do the video cards use system RAM at all when they run low?  My performance is solid not only in P3d and XP11 but also No Limits Coaster sim, which has some pretty immersive graphics in version 2.   The Valley benchmark from UIEngine runs at 70fps.  I know there are 8GB vid cards out there (I think the one on my old system was 8GB).  Are there apps which tax the VRAM more than the sims we use?

John

All depends on your settings.  I can almost max out the vram with my 1080ti in p3d and xp11.

Matt Wilson

19 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

All depends on your settings.  I can almost max out the vram with my 1080ti in p3d and xp11.

I have all settings maxed in XP11, looks great, very fluid.  In P3d I have AA at 4X, autogen off since I prefer to fly over photoreal scenery, and AI at about 25 pct, everything else is maxed.  I lock my fps at 33 in P3d, stays steady there.  Unlocked it jumps from the 40's to the 70's, but I prefer to reserve some processing power for rendering of the photoreal textures.  I did not have to tweak my Nvidia card.  I jump between P3d and XP11 often.  I like the Cessna in XP11 and in P3d I like my Carenado Malibu and 525.  The Carenado jets choked my fps on my old 2.3 GHZ system but don't touch fps on my new system.  The Mirage always had good performance on my old system with its steam gauges.

Windows 10 seems much more robust than Vista was on my old system, good to have an OS that Microsoft supports again.

John

14 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I have all settings maxed in XP11, looks great, very fluid.  In P3d I have AA at 4X, autogen off since I prefer to fly over photoreal scenery, and AI at about 25 pct, everything else is maxed.  I lock my fps at 33 in P3d, stays steady there.  Unlocked it jumps from the 40's to the 70's, but I prefer to reserve some processing power for rendering of the photoreal textures.  I did not have to tweak my Nvidia card.  I jump between P3d and XP11 often.  I like the Cessna in XP11 and in P3d I like my Carenado Malibu and 525.  The Carenado jets choked my fps on my old 2.3 GHZ system but don't touch fps on my new system.  The Mirage always had good performance on my old system with its steam gauges.

Windows 10 seems much more robust than Vista was on my old system, good to have an OS that Microsoft supports again.

John

I'm really surprised u are not running into vram issues.  I easily saturated my old GTX980 (4GB) in xp11.  Do u use photo scenery in xplane?  I should have mentioned in p3d I use some scenery and shadow tweaks in the config that really ramp up the VRAM.  I usually run around 9.5GB usage.

Matt Wilson

36 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I'm really surprised u are not running into vram issues.  I easily saturated my old GTX980 (4GB) in xp11.  Do u use photo scenery in xplane?  I should have mentioned in p3d I use some scenery and shadow tweaks in the config that really ramp up the VRAM.  I usually run around 9.5GB usage.

I haven't tried photoscenery in Xplane yet.  P3d is my photoreal scenery flying platform, haven't seen the need to duplicate it since I like Xplane's default textures over P3d's.  So far Xplane hasn't even hiccuped with my vid card, no stutters, no sign of trouble.  XP10 however, on my old system which had more VRAM, would run out of memory after about twenty minutes so I quit using it.  Austin must have optimized something in XP11, performance is far beyond what I expected it to be and it's a great venue for free flight, especially in the Swiss Alps.  Photoreal scenery in P3d is very good, no blurries, but I created it myself and optimized it for disk space and loading times with 90pct compression.

John 

don't want to come across as a miserable G&^* but what has any of this got to do with my original question?.

i was looking for people who are using 1080 ti cards to explain the benefits of spending £7-800 on one over my 980.

please start your own thread about all this other stuff.

cheers

steve

45 minutes ago, steve howlett said:

don't want to come across as a miserable G&^* but what has any of this got to do with my original question?.

i was looking for people who are using 1080 ti cards to explain the benefits of spending £7-800 on one over my 980.

please start your own thread about all this other stuff.

cheers

steve

Maybe u should have posted this in the hardware forum to begin with.  There is some very good information here from all the posts.  I do not see the issue.  U asked for help did u not?

Matt Wilson

I will move this to hardware as it's gone beyond P3D.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

9 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Maybe u should have posted this in the hardware forum to begin with.  There is some very good information here from all the posts.  I do not see the issue.  U asked for help did u not?

what has Nvidias target market got to do with my original post.i'm looking through 3 pages of posts to find the ones of any benefit.

and if it was in the wrong forum i'm sure a proper admin would have moved it .and of course you wouldn't see an issue because you didn't ask the original question eh?

steve

1 hour ago, steve howlett said:

what has Nvidias target market got to do with my original post.i'm looking through 3 pages of posts to find the ones of any benefit.

and if it was in the wrong forum i'm sure a proper admin would have moved it .and of course you wouldn't see an issue because you didn't ask the original question eh?

steve

Umm the topic was moved:blink: 

Matt Wilson

For those that are using the 1080 ti.. which model ti did you end up with.. if the fan based one how is the throttling.. do you reach 80C and do the fans scream at that point.  I have a 1080 ti ftw hybrid water cooled.. and it was night and day different from the fan based one (i would always throttle, loud fans at that point)

I'm thinking of jumping up as well, but from the 1080 ftw to the 1080 ti.

There is an asus OC edition floating out there (1569/1670 real base boost, but 1708 OC mode)i dont think that the OC in all this matters too much for p3d, as OC'n my existing one doesnt do much.

There is a hybrid SC2, (1556/1670 real base/boost) requires less power i think 250 watt, vs maybe 215 on my existing 1080 hybrid.. then it jumps up to 280watt usage at the FTW3 (1569/1683 real base/boost)  Wattage isnt much concern to me other than the electric bill.. i have a 1000 watt psu.

**the sc2 is about $789 right now, so a bit less than the $850 hybrid FTW3 via evga.

I'm thinking the SC2 should be ok if i opt for the water cooler again.. curious on fan based max temps though.  Either way it will be nice to have more wiggle room to crank up sliders like reflections and lighting by jumping up a notch.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking: