Hi

I'm looking to Upgrade from a 980 gtx to a 1080 Ti.is it worth the £700 it's going to cost me.I'm using p3d v4  and although it runs quite smooth

the AA and AF are not quite there yet.would the extra horsepower allow me to raise the sliders on these to make things a bit sharper.also would it make much difference to the way P3d v4 runs.

thanks for any help

steve

Well....

The leap from a 980 to a 1080ti is huge. But as you know, P3D is mainly dependant on CPU, also v4. BUT, you have some options which put a big load on the GPU. Like AA or the Texture_load_exp tweak. Dynmic Lighting too.

If its "worth" the upgrade is up to you :-) I also play a lot of other stuff, in 4K - and for this there is no other option right now as the 1080 ti.

But P3D in 1080i? Hm.... hard choice. But be sure, you will feel the upgrade ;-)

1 hour ago, steve howlett said:

the AA and AF are not quite there yet.would the extra horsepower allow me to raise the sliders on these to make things a bit sharper.also would it make much difference to the way P3d v4 runs.

The only thing you can really DO to answer this question is monitor the current situation. If it is AA you are not happy with it, try those modes you want and if you see that your GPU is always between 98 and 100% load, a GPU upgrade will help in such a case. If you run your desired AA modes and the GPU is not above 95%, then a GPU upgrade will do nothing. Same goes for resolution and other settings. If you do not know how to monitor the GPU load, you can use the FPS counter (although this is far less exact due to the fluctuations): if your FPS drop when you increase resolution and/or AA settings, a GPU upgrade might help. If your FPS remain the same, your current GPU is not yet reaching its limits and an upgrade would be waste of money.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

2 hours ago, steve howlett said:

Hi

I'm looking to Upgrade from a 980 gtx to a 1080 Ti.is it worth the £700 it's going to cost me.I'm using p3d v4  and although it runs quite smooth

thanks for any help

steve

I made this same upgrade just a couple months ago.  I have zero regrets.  The 1080ti is a beast.  It allowed me to run dynamic lighting with SSAA, texture load tweak, and much higher shadow settings (See Rob's YouTube video on V4 shadows).  All this with a 3840x1600 ultra wide monitor.  If eye candy is important to u it is a worthy upgrade. 

Matt Wilson

Thanks everyone.looks like i might go for it.seems it will also futureproof my rig for the forseeable future.

cheers

steve

I second what AnkH is saying. Use a GPU utilization monitor (Nvidia Inspector has a nice one that you can overlay the graphs on your screen while you're simming) and see what your 980 is doing with some different scenarios and settings. If you're not maxing it out, then you're CPU bound and investing in a 1080ti won't help.

I just moved from a 3570k/980 system to a 7700K/1080ti system and as stated above, the 1080ti is a beast. Some preliminary testing I did yesterday, with the primary CPU thread at100%, the 1080ti is still in 1st gear. (Like 20% GPU LOL!)

I expect a different profile with XP11 though.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Well, the nice thing with the 1080Ti is: if you are only at 20-30% in P3D using standard settings, you can basically invest the remaining 70-80% of the GPU power in measures improving image quality such as AA, shadows etc. I realized that only this weekend: due to my experiences with FSX and P3Dv3 I used rather soft settings for AA (4xMSAA) and shadows, now I cranked it up using Robs shadow tweak and 4xSSAA and my FPS, locked at 36 via nVIDIA Profile Inspecter, stayed the same. Impressive. But: if simple image quality improvements are worth the upgrade prize for a 1080Ti? Who knows, in my case, it was not primarly for P3D but for my other games (BF1, Ghost Recon Wildlands etc.).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

My 1080ti runs at 100% in P3D in 4K with 8xMSAA and all shadows / high quality. :-)

And not to forget texture_load_exp.... 10 GB VRAM used.

GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card

been looking at something like this..bit worried about the heat they seem to generate though.

steve

Next generation cards should be out early next year.  I am still on my 980 GTX, and I am planning for 16GB video cards which should be out by next year. 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

6 hours ago, steve howlett said:

I'm looking to Upgrade from a 980 gtx to a 1080 Ti.is it worth the £700 it's going to cost me.I'm using p3d v4

Only you can answer the "worth" question, but performance (FPS) you'll be able to increase the GPU intensive sliders (reflections, shadows, DL, SSAA) with the 1080Ti.  nVidia Volta is supposed to be out end of this year or early next year -- the Volta is supposed to be about 2X faster than the TitanXP/1080Ti.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: assuming of course you have a reasonably good CPU.

that is the issue Rob at the moment.i'm using an I5 o/ced to 4.6 and it seems ok to me,but then i've never had a cutting edge rig.

once i have the card i can then start getting motherbord-I7 cpu-ram-ssd's and the 100 other things to make a really good rig.of course Mortgage comes first:-)

cheers

steve

I'm having a similar debate with my 1060.  My P3D runs great but I still suffer from shimmering from not being able to run AA at 4x SSAA on my 4k monitor in most situations.  With GPU prices as high as they are I was planning on waiting until the next series came out (or black Friday).  For me I really want the 1080ti now but it's hard for me to justify the price just to get less shimmering.  

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

34 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

I'm having a similar debate with my 1060.  My P3D runs great but I still suffer from shimmering from not being able to run AA at 4x SSAA on my 4k monitor in most situations.  With GPU prices as high as they are I was planning on waiting until the next series came out (or black Friday).  For me I really want the 1080ti now but it's hard for me to justify the price just to get less shimmering.  

I am not seeing any shimmering on my 980 with 4K.

But I will wait as Nvidia releases new cards near March anyway.  CES is coming in few months and I believe it is Volta (Early 2018) and even before that P3D should be 4.1+ with much more bug fixes.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)