Sign in to follow this  
Raller

Starting with Flaps ends with crash on the Runway

Hello,
i tested the new Ovation to get more familiar with it and what can i say!? I do not like it yet.

I started at EDHL with Flaps in Takeoff-Position, clear Weather and 5kt Head-Wind. With increasing speed it became increasingly difficult to hold the Aircraft in Lane. Then the Aircraft swung extremely to the right and chrashed into the grass of the edge strip. Because I could not believe it i tried it a second time with the same conditions and again - crash.

I tried it without Flaps and i could start like usual.

I love to fly the Turbine Duke and the Saratoga and so my first amateur-impressions are:

Pos:

• I like the cockpit instruments and arrangements (my reason to buy it!)

Neg:

• Start-Crash with Takeoff-Flaps
  • Moving Propeller is not visible from inside the cockpit
  • Bad brakes
  • Abbreviations on the Annunciator Panel are blurred and hardly legible
  • Some Click-Sounds are missing when i operate the Switch with an assigned Key on my Joystick
  • The AP reacts very sluggishly
  • The Switch-Illumination on the AP is far too garish
  • The Speed-Break-Knob is allmost unreachable
  • Outside-View is to close to the Airplane and distorted

Thats what i noticed so far - so it is not love at first sight...

Regards
Raller

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

The outside camera is way too close and I'm with you on all the other things you found wrong with the Ovation 

,,, another one!

Neg:

• In Cold and Dark the Fuel Selector is in Position Left-Tank but you can't start the engine. You have to move the Selector once and then you can fire up the engine

Win 10 Pro | P3Dv4.5 | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | I5-9600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | SSD | T.16000M

On ‎04‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 2:01 PM, Raller said:

1.With increasing speed it became increasingly difficult to hold the Aircraft in Lane. Then the Aircraft swung extremely to the right and chrashed into the grass of the edge strip. Because I could not believe it i tried it a second time with the same conditions and again - crash.

I tried it without Flaps and i could start like usual.

2. Bad brakes

1.Looks like there's something seriously wrong with your setup as this Mooney noticable turns to the left, not to the right. Realism slider all at max? (full right?)

During the start of the take off roll you need quite a bit of right rudder to compensate but this becomes less with increasing speed.

At what speed are you trying to rotate?   Tried take offs without flaps, T/O and landing flaps and the Mooney never turned/swung to the right, all at 60-65kts.

2. No, they aren't bad. If you enable the anti skid the M20R brakes do their job perfectly. 

1. The Wind came directly from the front with 5kts. I don't know, maby only in this constalation the strange behavior happens!? I try to reproduce it to give further information.

2. Before the first flight i took a closer look to all Knobs and Switches in the Cockpit, but i can't find a Anti Skid Switch!

3 minutes ago, J35OE said:

I set it in a LINDA script.  Is there any reason not to turn it on globally for all aircraft?  If not, then I'll probably just make an LUA script so I never have to think of it again.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Don't know what a LINDA script is (but I love Linda Belcher!) but it should be always on for all planes. The question is if this script turns the antiskid off if the plane is loaded with the antiskid on.

I'm having a similar issue, during the landing roll if I give it the smallest amount of rudder to line up in the middle of the runway the plane starts skidding around and almost becomes uncontrollable. I will try the antiskid and report back!

Sounds like the differential brakes are operating when you are applying rudder during the landing roll.

If that's the case the antiskid will make the problem worse.

Interesting. I'm using the Saitek pedals and have adjusted the brake scalar value from .8 to 1.1. both settings seem to have the same effect.

I've also done the inertia fix through FSUIPC. Looks like I've got some investigation to do.

Still my favorite plane though!

I changed the aircarft.cfg to

[flight_tuning]
elevator_effectiveness = 1.0
aileron_effectiveness  = 1.0
rudder_effectiveness   = 0.2

and now its easyer to hold the aircaft in lane at the start.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, austindk said:

I've also done the inertia fix through FSUIPC. Looks like I've got some investigation to do.

What is the inertia fix?  (Not using any FSUIPC features here) 

42 minutes ago, J35OE said:

What is the inertia fix?  (Not using any FSUIPC features here) 

This thread contains a link to the original discussion on the topic and has installation instructions. I am not sure if this attributes to the poor handling because I remember reading somewhere that the FSUIPC friction fixes only work <25kts. On to do some more investigating.

5 hours ago, austindk said:

This thread contains a link to the original discussion on the topic and has installation instructions.

Weird, I can't find it but if it's only working below 25kts it can't be the reason in this case. 

I don't understand the reason for altered friction at low speeds. FDE designers usually compensate for the FSX friction problem with the engine design.

So if the plane behaves already correct, doesn't FSUIPC ruin the FDE?

Concerning the brakes, one other user also changed them from 0.8 to 1.1 and reported to have better brakes.....

• Upvote 1