Sign in to follow this  

Ladys & Gentlemen,

I'm posting this here because I know there are some very smart and experienced folks on here and I need your help.

I believe my computer problem is a general issue and not related to the two programs I'm having problems with. I will explain the best I can, I'm not much of a computer guru!

I recently set up a couple of internal hard drives in an external docking bay connected via usb. I did a format on them before I stared to use them. I don't seam to be having any problem with them. This is the most current change I have done with my computer.

The two programs I'm having trouble with are, Spadnext and the update for REX textures. I have been using spad for quit sometime. I recently noticed that my profiles where missing. Sent in a support request for help. They came back with the information that my profiles where setting in drive D, which I hadn't noticed I had a drive D. Tried to move the profile folded back to where I have spad in another drive. Still no profiles!

The other program is REX textures update which is a 1.4G download. No problem downloading it. I execute the update and it wants to point to the drive D. Again the main REX program is in another drive.

I talked with a coworker who is pretty sharp on computers. He suggested I do a deep antivirus scan, which I did and then delete the D drive. There is and was nothing on the D drive so we felt it would be safe. I have deleted and uninstalled both programs, still the problem presents itself.

The problem is that those two programs still want to point to drive D.

Thanks,
David

By delete drive D, I hope you meant you unplugged it. 

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

On 05/09/2017 at 2:07 AM, Fun said:

Drive D was a 700K partition, which was deleted.

Sorry to be pedantic, but when you say you deleted drive D, did you just delete the contents or did you actually delete the partition? Programs normally only try to save to a drive which exists. If you open Windows Explorer and click on "This PC", can you see a Disk D (D:)?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It's kind of funny, post on a world wide flight sim forum and get  no answers or suggestions. I would have thought with the whole world available someone would have something to say. Oh well, so much for any help from mankind. Thanks anyway.

The problem is that if you don't have a Drive D, there shouldn't be any way that software will try to save to it. Modern software won't just dream up a non-existent drive to install to - it has to be a drive which is actually there. So unless you have a hidden partition somewhere, or you've previously installed software on Drive D: and that setting is still in the registry, it's difficult to think of anything else which could be causing your problem.

I assume that when you tried to install the software which wanted to go to Drive D:, you tried to manually point it to another physical drive?

Try running regedit (the Windows Registry Editor) from the start menu and under the Edit tab, use Find to search the registry for d:\ - if you find an entry, make a note of it then press F3 to continue searching. Do this until you reach the end of the registry. Do any entries show up which contain d:\?

As a final thought, have you tried unplugging the external drives from the USB port and attempt to install the REX update again? Installing software on drives through a USB connection is never a good idea as Windows will occasionally decide to reallocate the drive letter to an external drive.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit