Sign in to follow this  
Graubart

Ferry configuration

Anybody knows how to modify the aircraft.cfg to get the max possible range of 2300 nm for ferry flights?

Greets
Otto

You could adjust the fuel_flow_scalar value down. I believe the default is 0.77

For example, I've adjusted mine down to 0.60 to comply with FSEconomy expectations of about 45 gallons per hour in cruise.

As you'd need almost 6nm per gallon for that sort of range, I'd imagine you'd need a very favorable tail wind and a value below 0.60 (like 0.50).

I was getting over 6nm per gallon earlier today with a 83 kt tailwind over Montana and cruise at over 350kts!

Yeah, I'd imagine that could work as well. My concern with increasing the usable fuel is that it may change TOW and/or have other adverse flight characteristic modifications. Whereas with the FFC value, I've yet to notice any performance issues. I had run the PC-12 as low as 20 gallons an hour and as much as 100 gallons an hour and it still flew exactly the same.

3 hours ago, mopperle said:

Or increasing the usable fuel in the [fuel] section, but no idea what kind of other impact that would have

If you exchange passengers for fuel and you stay at or below MTOW there will be no noticeable change except for a  slightly higher inertia along the longitudinal axis with full tanks.

Furthermore increasing fuel capacity is much more realistic than decreasing fuel flow.

Just gave it a try and increased the usable fuel to 290 gal per tank. So exceeding the TOW with only 2 person on board (typical for a ferry flight) is very unlikely. And after making a short test flight for 1 hr, I didn't fell any noticable change in flight characteristic except that you have a heavier aircraft, like one with more passengers/cargo.

2 hours ago, J35OE said:

If you exchange passengers for fuel and you stay at or below MTOW there will be no noticeable change except for a  slightly higher inertia along the longitudinal axis with full tanks.

Furthermore increasing fuel capacity is much more realistic than decreasing fuel flow.

That's assuming the default fuel flow is modeled correctly, though, right?

29 minutes ago, softreset said:

That's assuming the default fuel flow is modeled correctly, though, right?

Sure.  Did a few tests and between FL160-300 and long range to max cruise the TAS and FF values are pretty close.  

Max endurance values are only above approx FL250 correct, at lower FLs the 'default' PC-12 is using too little fuel at the max endurance power setting.