Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

XPlane 11 Latest update failure

Good morning, evening or night to you all.

I have been trying for the last six days to update Xplane 11.

I have tried initiating the xplane 11 installer on many occasions and also the built in installer from my installation folder.

I am able to go through the welcome process, Update available, Web updater and into the Search for updates.

At this stage, the progress bar goes instantly to 25% and shortly after got to contact support ... time out. This has not varied over 6 days now and I feel summat is going wrong.

I have no internet problem with any other sites and all is working smoothly. 

I have done an internet speed test (ookla)  and am downloading at 9.5 MPS and uploading at over 7 MPS 

Logically the problem is with CDN but I wonder if anyone else is having this problem. If any of the three wise men (or more) here can figure this out I would be eternally grateful.

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Two quick suggestions:

1) Make sure you're giving the installer the right path to your main X-Plane 11 directory. 

2) Try downloading a fresh copy of the installer. This one should always be current, and it works for any new version including the demo: 

http://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thank you all.  

It is apparent that there is a huge amount of activity and help here. 

Regards to all again

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Okay I have a question about Avsim forum policy here. To the mods: If this needs to be directed to a different area on Avsim, please do that.

Jim Young of the Avsim BOD is posting notices today that any reference to a retail site will be deleted. I can understand that, if it's about sales promotion.

However, I posted a message to help the OP in this thread, with a link to the official X-Plane installer to help diagnose the problem.

Why was my post deleted?

Laminar does sell X-Plane on that site, but it's also a go-to for developer info, new updates, and things like that installer link. No sales promotion was involved.

If I can't post a link to Laminar's own web site to help people with this flight sim, or link to new updates available on that web site, then I guess Avsim isn't the right forum for me.

• Upvote 5

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Paraffin,

Obviously, very obviously, I did not get you response. 

I have made a few a comments about "links as advertising"  See "Sorry links are not advertising" and was blissfully unaware that I was probably the cause of the problem.

To get round this, could we possibly go on bended knee and request permission from the moderators, to pass this information via PM.

I still very much have this problem.

Regards

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

Hello to all,

I would like to make a couple of statements here.

In the first place I would like to apologise to all fort he incredible kerfuffle I appear to have generated with this Topic/post.

For Paraffin. I thank you for your response which has now reappeared.  I have in fact, tried three methods of updating.

1. clicking on the Xplane desktop icon which then gives me an update alert, gives me achoice of updating or ignoring, if the former it then generates an installer which takes me to the CDN site which times out.

2. going to the original Xplane folder, clicking on Xplane installer which then repeats the above  process and times out and,

3. going to the devs site and downloading the installer as you have advised.  All installers when going to CDN immediately go to 25% loaded and stop. This problem still remains. I have tred it on two computers with the same results every time.

I believe the problem can only be either my internet or the download site. Given that my internet is sometimes slow (but not THAT slow) and every other site is operating normally, I believe that can be ruled out.  I still have the problem. I also have you PM to which I will respond very shortly.

Jim Young.

You still have my unwavering support young man. I believe very strongly you have erred on this occasion but we are all human and to write off your incredible advice and support to all and sundry beause of a minor error, which incidently, has evolved into a much larger entity altogether, is VERY VERY wrong. I do not understand how you could have construed the original post and response as advertising though.  We were talking about an update to a product I already had so what was I likely to buy as a result of this "advertising" link? If in fact, I have the bull by the horns, and it was not this topic which has bought about the "link" debate, I would personnally be curious to know which topic did LOL

Anyway, hopefully, the "war" is nearly over and peace, help and advice will be forthcoming once again on this site.

I tips me lid to all here

Regards

Tony Chilcott

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

Hello again all,

Just a quick update on my problems.

I have finally got an update going (achieved through my XPlane folder installer)

I am now downloading it at an incredible 10 kilobytes/second from 1 download server. I have just carried out an ookla internet speed test and it measures 9.73MPS. I will bet you cannot guess where the problem is and/or has been all this time. It is now telling me that I have 152 hours left in the download.  I am so excited.

135mb download. Unbelievable...I think I can walk faster than that.

Cheers guys ... at least it is happening

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

48 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I am now downloading it at an incredible 10 kilobytes/second from 1 download server.

That's strange. Maybe (hopefully?) the download speed will increase by itself after a while.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hello again all,

Another quick update on my problems.

Murmur ... 

13 hours ago, Murmur said:

That's strange. Maybe (hopefully?) the download speed will increase by itself after a while.

Well mate, you nearly got it right ... change increase to decrease and you are 100% correct although it would be nice to take out the (hopefully) bit. 

My download actually went down to 2kps before it gave up the ghost and told me to get nicked (not in so many words)

I eventually called my internet man (I have radio internet because the Telkom supplied internet maxes out at 512 kps) who came out and tested my system and confirmed normality. He actually saw the 2kps download as I had restarted the update download, and was mystified about it all.

In the meantime I will keep trying this update and will report if and when it all gets done. I will note however, that with my 10MPS download speed I have never been able to achieve more than 370kps using Highwinds CDN. It must be high head winds they are encountering which slows it up to this degree.

Cheers to you all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.