Sign in to follow this  
slait

3rd Party GPS Add-ons - Recommendation

I'm starting to look at the various 3rd party GPS add-ons for P3Dv4 and am looking for recommendations. It looks like Flight1 has GNS and GTN varieties, Reality XP has a GNS option (thought I'm not sure if it is v4 compatible) and Mindstar has something. Just curious if I could get some feedback on what is currently the best add-on and hopefully the most compatible with various aircraft. Milviz 310, Xtreme Prototypes Lear, and A2A aircraft would probably my most desired.

Thanks in advance.

- Aaron

When I upgraded to P3Dv4 I went for the Flight1 GTN Complete package.  I use the GTN's in most of the aircraft that you mentioned and I love using them.  For an airliner I would want an FMS, but for anything smaller the GTN's are great.  My 2 cents worth.  :biggrin:

Bill

Bill  N7IBG     

Unless you fly a real aircraft with a GNS go for the GTN.  It's a much more modern unit and has a much better UI.  Plus the GTN supports airways which makes route entry much quicker.

Brian W

KPAE

Flight1 GTN is the best imho. Although it remains a real shame it uses (just like RealityXP) the Garmin Trainer and not Navigraph data.

Go for Reality XP. Their GNS series gives you a license for all sims from FS9 up until P3D v4 and cross fill capability out of the box. Reality XP's GTN is on short final, which will probably also offer cross fill out of the box, while Flight1 still hasn't accomplished this and will probably charge an upgrade fee for it.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Flight1 GTN complete package here and I couldn´t be happier.

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

20 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Go for Reality XP. Their GNS series gives you a license for all sims from FS9 up until P3D v4 and cross fill capability out of the box. Reality XP's GTN is on short final, which will probably also offer cross fill out of the box, while Flight1 still hasn't accomplished this and will probably charge an upgrade fee for it.

I've been a customer of theirs since the beginning. Always good products. A new feature is the ability to import flight plans. (.fpl) created at https://skyvector.com/. In addition to the upcoming GTN is the G500/G600 PFD/MFD.

Flight 1 GTN is the gold standard. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Flight 1 GTN is the gold standard. 

For now ;-) If RXP comes with cross fill capability that standard may shift very rapidly. With both products on the market in a short while I find it very hard to determine which one would be the best. Both are based on the same trainer. But RXP has cross fill and will be a bit more expensive, If the RXP GTN offers the same intelligent tool as their GNS v2 does it has an advantage over the Flight1 version. No matter what, good to see tough competition going on.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

3 hours ago, Rimshot said:

If the RXP GTN offers the same intelligent tool as their GNS v2 does it has an advantage over the Flight1 version.

Mentioned in the RXP X-Plane forum. Not sure if it will be for FS, P3D platform yet.

4 hours ago, Rimshot said:

For now ;-) If RXP comes with cross fill capability that standard may shift very rapidly. With both products on the market in a short while I find it very hard to determine which one would be the best. Both are based on the same trainer. But RXP has cross fill and will be a bit more expensive, If the RXP GTN offers the same intelligent tool as their GNS v2 does it has an advantage over the Flight1 version. No matter what, good to see tough competition going on.

I can't really forgive RXP for the years of customer neglect. There was a period of years where the only support available was through knowledgeable forum users. I was happy when flight1 got into the game and I was able to ditch the RXP gns line.

4 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

I can't really forgive RXP for the years of customer neglect. There was a period of years where the only support available was through knowledgeable forum users. I was happy when flight1 got into the game and I was able to ditch the RXP gns line.

+1

I lost all trust in RXP forever. I won't spend a penny on RXP products ever again.

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. Sounds like a bit of a competition that hasn't been settled yet, though most have pretty strong feelings one way or the other.

In the Flight1 offering, how difficult is it to integrate into various planes?

- Aaron

46 minutes ago, slait said:

In the Flight1 offering, how difficult is it to integrate into various planes?

Depends on the plane. For instance, quite a few A2A planes can add the Flight 1 GTN (and also some RXP ones) to the panel with 3D knobs and all by just selecting an option in the config tool. Others require you to edit files and you may end up with a 2D popup panel only. Again, it depends on the plane.

EDIT Come to think of it: I do think the Flight1 GTN's config tool offers the option to add the GTN to all the planes in your hangar, but I do think this is mainly for 2D popups. I never used that options since I only fly A2A planes.