Sign in to follow this  
JohnHow

FS9 will not run

Window 7 - \C is a SSHD with programes etc - have a separate HD partitioned into \D (Documents & Data) and \F (flight sim).

I have FSX installed and working fine in \F.

I uninstalled Microsoft update KB3086255 (known to be an issue with FS9 in Windows 7)

I created a folder "Flight Simulator 9 in \F and installed FS2004 (version 0) in that folder and installed SP1 and then installed fs91nocd (fs9.exe).

FS 9 will not run - nothing happens and a .cfg file has not been created in \AppDta\Microsoft.

Have done the above many times installation many times and am seeking advice as to what my be the problem. :sad:

JohnHow

This may be like sending coal to Newcastle, but are you trying to run using the desktop Icon or have you tried to run it from your f/Flightsimulator 9/FS9.1 application icon.

If that works, delete your desktop icon...go back into fs directory ... create new fs9.1 directory and copy to your desktop.

As you are most likely aware updating to 9.1 is easy, but if you don't do the Nocd install exactly right, it can cause huge problems.

If the above does not solve your problems, and if you have no fs9 config in app data then I can only suggest uninstall (including deleting  the fs9 folder in app data, checking that there are no files in your F/flight simulator folder, delete that folder completely and create another flightsim folder in drive F (I assume that you have seperate folders in Drive F for FSX and FS9.1) delete the desktop icon if it is still there.  

Reinstall into your newly created fs9 directory ...  run FS9 (from desktop icon to ensure good install) THEN do your 9.1 update...NOCD install .(after deleting your original fs9.exe) create new shortcut and then copy that to the desktop. at that point, I would be doing a computer reboot and I believe you should be good to go. 

DO NOT run fs9.1 before you install the unmentionable NOCD and definitely do not install anything else before you have finished installing both the upgrade and the patch.

I think, because you have done this many times, you probably know all about it. I do however, think, that you are going to be better off and save a lot of time and grief doing the full reinstall, as opposed to trying to find what file ... or lack of that is actually causing the problem.

I have so many add ons in my FS9.1 that I tend to go through the above process and when it comes to installing the addons, I do so one by one, reboot and run, to ensure each addon is working properly.  Whilst this is a long and laborious process ... up to three full days ... I find it saves many many headaches trying to work out which addon has caused the problem.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you and that you solve your problem quickly. Please let me know if you need any further help

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Thank you Tony for your comprehensive reply.  I have done most of what you have suggested but I will have yet another go at a full uninstall and reinstall and do everything you have suggested.

I have tried to run FS9 immediately after installation and before installing the SP1 and the nocd but it will not run.  I have read on the forums that FS9 will not run in Windows 7 without nocd being installed but perhaps that is related to the KB3086255 update that disabled "secdrv"

My PC is set to automatically receive MS updates - perhaps there has been a recent MS update that has affected FS9?

John

John,

I know this is going to sound silly, but, did you put or leave disk 4 in the drive. 

1. is obviously essential before update and the unmentionable and 

2. leaving the disk in after installing the unmentionable can cause all sorts of problems too.

Keep me informed please.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Thanks Tony - yes I did leave disc 4 in before installing the unmentionable and yes, I did take it out after installing the unmentionable.

I will respond as soon as I make some positive progress.

John

John,

Thanks mate,

Good luck.  I do not know from where you are, but evening here now and nI have husbandly duties to perform. I shall re check in the morning.

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

I have not won the struggle! The error is HHCTRL Event 1903 which is - "a component is not installed on the PC or is corrupt."  Unable to ascertain which "component" is causing the problem.  Done a clean Boot and still get the same error.

What is strange that FS9 used to work perfectly and it suddenly stopped working.

My next step is to admit defeat and install another HD with Windows XP so, on Boot up, I can select XP if I want to run FS9 (and some other old programs that I have).

JohnHow,

I would not be doing that.

What version of Windows are you currently running? I have always run mine on  Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, but I recently upgraded to Win10 64bit (clean install after reformat C drive) Reason for doing so was that previously with Win 10 I could not get my Saitek controllers working properly (lack of Win 10 drivers) However, Win 10 drivers are now available so I upgraded. No regrets.  Please do not install two OS as I believe it will slow your computer down and I speak from experience. I am not saying this is absolutely correct. It is only in my experience.

If you are thinking of running a new HDD I would seriously consider doing this in two steps. Purchase another SSD (name it FS2004 or FS9 or whatever.) If your SSD drive C is 256 GB or less, unpartition your Drive F and just have drive C as your OS, I would make it a minimum of 100GB and a new partition (Drive D) for important documents.  The new SSD is for your flight sim and again I would make it a minimum of 250GB. The next step and relatively inexpensive is a 2tb HDD for all your FS2004 addons etc. When and if you upgrade this will negate having to buy another HDD at that time.

Install (yet again) your FS2004 and repeat the steps as before. 

I do think going to XP is a retrograde step which will eventually drive you crazy and achieve very very little.

At least have a serious think about this. Remember that you WILL eventually want to upgrade and this way will give you the initial option of keeping both your FS9 and P3Dv4 or XPlane. IT WILL HAPPEN eventually.

Regards and as usual keep us informed.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Thanks Tony you for all of your advice.

I have had many more unsuccessful attempts at getting FS9 to run on Windows 7 and have now given up! 

For now I am OK because I have FSX is running well so I do not have to have FS9. 

I am using Windows 7 Professional with SP1. My C drive is a SSHD and has all my programs except FS. My second 1Tb HD is partitioned into D (data) and F (flight sim).

I had a spare SSHD so I have installed Windows XP on it and FS9 runs well. (If I want to use XP then I boot up on the "XP' drive). 

Just by the way, the error I referred to previously (HHCTRL Event 1903 which is - "a component is not installed on the PC or is corrupt.") was caused by a preset task in Spybot where is was recurring at 5 minute intervals.  

Regards

John