Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

There are very few CTD threads here

I for one have not gotten a single crash that I can think of. Seems this is pretty stable even in early access with all of this new technology being added. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I had quite a few crashes with FSW when I upgraded my computer, which of course would certainly indicate that something I changed was to blame, not actually a problem with FSW, providing one doesn't start poking about with it significantly.

But it was FSW which prompted me to build that upgraded computer; it seems fairly apparent to me that FSW will need pretty hefty CPU and GPU to run it, certainly that is the case since trueSKY was added, which is undeniably a strain on lesser GPUs, although to be fair, this is entirely new territory which DTG are entering and I greatly admire their desire to innovate, so I would not expect things to be optimised for FPS at this point in the proceedings and will certainly forgive them for actually doing what many of us have been demanding for years of flight sims, that is to say actually pushing the capabilities of modern hardware rather than sticking a band aid over an old platform.

I've had FSW lock up and require a Task Manager quit to stop my computer freaking out when I put UK2000 Liverpool and Manchester airport scenery in there, and that was with those actually having an FSW install option (of sorts), so I binned them off out of it (had to do a Steam local file integrity check too). I would guess it was the same issue which was bombing P3D V4 when anyone manually installed those sceneries prior to UK2000 making them V4 compatible, i.e something to do with some of the animations on the scenery which there was a workaround for by deleting a few files but I've not tried that in FSW because I'm really not that bothered about fancying up FSW whilst it is still in flux as it could certainly cause problems down the line necessitating a complete reinstall, which is tedious, but that's an issue which would not be of DTG's making.

Until products are officially compatible and marketed as such, one can and probably should expect issues when going off the grid and manually messing about with stuff. Keeping the thing stock seems to guarantee it will run just fine, and of course even if that were not so, with an early access title, one can expect there to be occasional problems, that's part of the deal we are signing up for when we buy an early access title.

Ultimately, FSW is a confirmation of the early faith I had in DTG when they stated that they were seriously attempting to move things along for flight sims. Many did, and still do doubt their sincerity, kind of missing the point that Flight School was the obvious dipping of toes test which it quite evidently turned out to be, but I think the evidence bears DTG out, demonstrating they are indeed not simply developing a cash cow with no effort to innovate, particularly when we see the implementation of a real effort to make weather simulation and depiction far more complex than it has previously been in any other flight simulator. Other DTG titles such as CSX Heavy Haul have also made serious strides forward in the way locomotives and rolling stock are simulated too, rather than simply tarting up existing products, and I think that is indicative that if anyone doubts either DTG's sincerity or indeed their ability and desire to push the envelope, then they would certainly be doing DTG a disservice.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I kicked it always sliders on max tweaked the config added scenery and have had the odd crash, down I suspect to conflict with something I've done, but I'm surprised how far you can push it and still in early access.

Ray Fry. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Chock on the UK2000 airports I found the Xtrem CTD FSW but you can install the free version and the installer will work if you do it manually, but you cannot select the airport in the flight setup or it will exit FSW back to desktop, but you can fly to them in flight land and taxi but they will not show in ATC nearest airport list.

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Yeah, I kind of sussed that out, as the crash was happening right after I lifted off the runway, but I was able to land at UK2000's EGGP, so for now I'm just leaving it stock and see where DTG go with it in that state. I'm happy enough to wait and see since I can always fly to those places in FSX and P3D.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The FSX VFR Airfields series 1-3 from UK2000 work without problem, just some very minor object details are missing. The title is bit misleading because it does include all the international airports exactly like the old FS2004 series 1-8 which is now freeware.

The only  CTDs I had were caused by custom sceneries I installed even though they are not FSW compatible. Only 10% of the sceneries caused such behavior.

Seneca used to CTD on me a lot but recent patches seem to have sorted that out.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea