Sign in to follow this  
Richard Myers

777 Tutorial 1 - Star nonsense

I regulalrly update my Navigraph Airac files. The latest (1709) makes a total nonsense of the stars for the 777 Tutorial. Is there a way of reverting to the airac that was installed with the 777 so that the STAR is the same as the tutorial?  Tried reinstalling 777, no change.

Regards Richard Myers

15 minutes ago, Richard Myers said:

I regulalrly update my Navigraph Airac files. The latest (1709) makes a total nonsense of the stars for the 777 Tutorial. Is there a way of reverting to the airac that was installed with the 777 so that the STAR is the same as the tutorial?  Tried reinstalling 777, no change.

Regards Richard Myers

Nope, unless you have the old airac installer somewhere. Installer will not overwritten the AIRAC if the installed one is newer than the one of the installer.

You can always use the new star in the place of the old one which for RNW12L/R at Dubai is BUBI1B.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Uninstall the 777, remove the navigation data to another location or delete it (the 777 installer won't remove it), then install the 777.

1 hour ago, Olympic260 said:

Nope, unless you have the old airac installer somewhere. Installer will not overwritten the AIRAC if the installed one is newer than the one of the installer.

That's not completely true. The installer won't touch the AIRAC at all if it sees one already there. It won't matter if it's a newer AIRAC or an older AIRAC that's already installed.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

10 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Uninstall the 777, remove the navigation data to another location or delete it (the 777 installer won't remove it), then install the 777.

That's not completely true. The installer won't touch the AIRAC at all if it sees one already there. It won't matter if it's a newer AIRAC or an older AIRAC that's already installed.

I am under the impression that if there is an older navdata then the newest one that comes with the product is installed. Might be wrong tough :)

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

1 hour ago, Olympic260 said:

I am under the impression that if there is an older navdata then the newest one that comes with the product is installed. Might be wrong tough :)

It won't overwrite older navigation data because if for some reason, people still want it, that would just mess things up, so it won't even touch it if it sees that it's there. That's why when the 747 was released, there were a lot of posts from people stating they had issues with the SIDs and STARs because they were running off of old data.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

10 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

If you are flying a 777 you should be familiar with the process to pick sids/stars. search youtube for tutorials.

What should happen and what actually happens tend to be two completely different things. Some people just buy the planes and try to jump in and fly without a clue as to what they're doing.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Guys, why bother posting if you're going to bash the guy? Everyone has to start somewhere. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all, as parents usually teach their kids..

Richard, I would suggest modifying the route with new waypoints that are near the originals so you can still fly the route. Let me know if you need help doing this.

If you don't mind cheating a bit, you can just erase the missing waypoints and fly a slightly more direct route. Especially if you use the dep/arr button you can just choose the sid and star and follow those. Even if the old ones are different, sids and stars are usually fairly long lived, so while sid YVR.3 may no longer exist, there is probably another one like YVR.6 which will be very similar.

Again, let me know if you need a hand with this.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for your supportive message James. Yes I am a relative newcomer to this whole business, plus being almost 86 I'm afraid my short term memory is not as good as it was when I was an active software developer.

The good news is that I have now successfully completed the tutorial flight and also managed Matt Davies' EGLL/OMDB including parking at building. Did get a "NO AUTOLAND" message but it didn't seem to make any difference. I landed right down the middle and taxied on and shut down.

Very satisfying, now "onward and upward"

Regards Richard Myers

Hi Richard,

Glad you got things sorted.

A couple of suggestions should you face the same situation again as sometimes, AIRAC cycles can contain errors.

a) Whenever you download a new AIRAC cycle, keep a copy of it for your archives. Once the cycle expires, you are not able to download it from Navigraph again.

b) If you see an issue with a specific AIRAC, I would report it on Navigraph's Tech forum listing the details of the problem.

c) In looking at Navigraph's FMS Data Manager utility, it looks like this could help you roll back to an old cycle if needed. I never tried this utility out but it claims to do this very job. For more details visit the Navigraph site and look for this tool and core features.

Regards

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

7 hours ago, Richard Myers said:

Thanks for your supportive message James. Yes I am a relative newcomer to this whole business, plus being almost 86 I'm afraid my short term memory is not as good as it was when I was an active software developer.

The good news is that I have now successfully completed the tutorial flight and also managed Matt Davies' EGLL/OMDB including parking at building. Did get a "NO AUTOLAND" message but it didn't seem to make any difference. I landed right down the middle and taxied on and shut down.

Very satisfying, now "onward and upward"

Regards Richard Myers

Glad to hear you got it sorted. The NO AUTOLAND can be caused by a few things.

Make sure your gear and flaps are configured for landing before you're under 2000 feet. There is a hard limit before the autoland disables but I forget, maybe 1500 or 1600 feet, if you are not configured by this radio altitude autoland won't engage.

The other thing that can cause it is if there is a frequency or magnetic heading discrepancy. This sounds like it might be your problem since you recently changed or upgraded the database. You can manually input the frequency in the FMC (NAV RAD page) and that should clear the problem. You'll need to know the frequency of the localizer of the runway you're landing on, AND you'll need to know the magnetic heading of the runway.

If you have updated the PMDG Nav database, there is a possibility the database heading and the sim heading are different (magnetic pole drift over 10+ years adds up to a significant number in many parts of the world). This may cause a NO AUTOLAND message too. I am not sure if you'll be able to autoland if this is what is causing the problem.

The good news is with more database updates (Search for FSX/P3D navigation update) and you should find a very good, easy to install package that updates the entire world navigation database. That should fix the problems and align the PMDG database with the sim's database.

Edit: Here is the link to the navaids website:

https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

Out of curiousity what were you developing and in what language?

On 9/7/2017 at 9:12 PM, paradoxbox said:

Glad to hear you got it sorted. The NO AUTOLAND can be caused by a few things.

Make sure your gear and flaps are configured for landing before you're under 2000 feet. There is a hard limit before the autoland disables but I forget, maybe 1500 or 1600 feet, if you are not configured by this radio altitude autoland won't engage.

The other thing that can cause it is if there is a frequency or magnetic heading discrepancy. This sounds like it might be your problem since you recently changed or upgraded the database. You can manually input the frequency in the FMC (NAV RAD page) and that should clear the problem. You'll need to know the frequency of the localizer of the runway you're landing on, AND you'll need to know the magnetic heading of the runway.

If you have updated the PMDG Nav database, there is a possibility the database heading and the sim heading are different (magnetic pole drift over 10+ years adds up to a significant number in many parts of the world). This may cause a NO AUTOLAND message too. I am not sure if you'll be able to autoland if this is what is causing the problem.

The good news is with more database updates (Search for FSX/P3D navigation update) and you should find a very good, easy to install package that updates the entire world navigation database. That should fix the problems and align the PMDG database with the sim's database.

Edit: Here is the link to the navaids website:

https://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

Out of curiousity what were you developing and in what language?

Just now, Richard Myers said:

Hi James

Mostly small business turnkey applications. Developed originally in DBIII then Foxpro, then Foxpro for Windows. Included incident reporting system for CYYZ. Tower manager was my neightbor and asked me if I could write something for them to record aircraft incidents as initially they were writing such incidents in an exercise book in longhand. Final product was totally secured and networked throughout the tower and ATC. For all I know it may still be in use!. 

Largely forgotten how to code, Ah the joys of old age.

Best regards and thanks for your interest and help. 

Richard.