Sign in to follow this  
ViperXBR

Finally upgrading from a i7 2600k to i7 7820x...

Finally going to pull the trigger on a new FS PC. I shouldn't say PC but more specifically, new CPU, MB & RAM. Everything else will remain. Been running on this very trust worthy highly overclocked i7 2600K Sandy Bridge since March 2011, over 6yrs old.

I think it's time to move on.

New Specs:

INTEL® CORE™ I7-7820X (8 Cores/16 Threads) Up to 4.30 GHz
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX LGA 2066
G.SKILL Trident Z Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C15Q-32GTZSW

It won't be cheap but I don't upgrade every 6mos to a year.
In it for the long haul.

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

Why would you upgrade now that the 8th generation CPUs are just about to be released? Even if you still want to buy the 7th generation 7820X then at least I would wait for the price drop which will most likely occur once the new CPUs are out...

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

On 9/5/2017 at 2:00 PM, carlito777 said:

Why would you upgrade now that the 8th generation CPUs are just about to be released? Even if you still want to buy the 7th generation 7820X then at least I would wait for the price drop which will most likely occur once the new CPUs are out...

If you get into that 'wait for the next new thing' game, you'd never buy anything, the moment those 8th gen ones are out they'll be banging on about the next new thing coming along lol.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

15 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

Tis the industry...  There's always something new around the corner and you'd be waiting indefinitely.  I've been waiting for almost 7yrs.  It was time to put the foot down and just do it.

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

45 minutes ago, ViperXBR said:

Tis the industry...  There's always something new around the corner and you'd be waiting indefinitely.  I've been waiting for almost 7yrs.  It was time to put the foot down and just do it.

Why is it waiting indefinitely? They have been announced for release in October. So roughly 3 weeks. But hey, it's you money...

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I agree with Carlo.  Coffee Lake is mere weeks away and certainly worth waiting for.  The 8700K is only 6core/12threads but will certainly clock up better than the 7820X, and the Coffee Lake option will have better IPC.  And the 8700K is only about 60% of the cost.  More bang and less bucks... just for waiting a month or so.

Greg

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, carlito777 said:

Why is it waiting indefinitely? They have been announced for release in October. So roughly 3 weeks. But hey, it's you money...

29 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I agree with Carlo.  Coffee Lake is mere weeks away and certainly worth waiting for.  The 8700K is only 6core/12threads but will certainly clock up better than the 7820X, and the Coffee Lake option will have better IPC.  And the 8700K is only about 60% of the cost.  More bang and less bucks... just for waiting a month or so.

Greg

In 3 weeks time when Coffee Lake is shipping, something newer will be announced.  Faster, shinier & cheaper and you'll have to wait another few months for it.

Few more months go by and it starts to ship... Oh wait!  They just announced the next one and it's only a few more months wait.  Wow it's really shiny, fast and more bang for less bucks. Gotta wait for that one!

...and so on and so on....

Like I said, Tis the industry...

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

Im excited to hear about your results. Im coming from a 2700k and il be upgrading around Christmas time! Have fun with it all!

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

32 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Im excited to hear about your results. Im coming from a 2700k and il be upgrading around Christmas time! Have fun with it all!

Ditto - might be time to replace my beloved 2700K - she's served me well @4.7Ghz...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Todd,

I have a similar set up as you and also contemplating a new build.

A question for you - why go for the multiple 8 cores vs 7700K 4 cores? I had read that with the 64bit sims these days, the additional # of CPU cores provides limited advantage (in terms of further speed) vs the GPU becoming a more important factor (more onboard Video RAM being available that the 64bit sims can take advantage of).

Will the 7820X give you more overclocking capability?? Both will give you 4.5Ghz with Turbo boost max from what I understand of the Intel CPU specs. What do you see being the advantage over the i7-7700K for example?

Just curious. I have not studied the reviews a lot so would be interested to hear what you think and why you decided to plump for the 7820.

Cheers

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

55 minutes ago, aldridgem said:

A question for you - why go for the multiple 8 cores vs 7700K 4 cores? I had read that with the 64bit sims these days, the additional # of CPU cores provides limited advantage (in terms of further speed) vs the GPU becoming a more important factor (more onboard Video RAM being available that the 64bit sims can take advantage of).

Will the 7820X give you more overclocking capability?? Both will give you 4.5Ghz with Turbo boost max from what I understand of the Intel CPU specs. What do you see being the advantage over the i7-7700K for example?

Just curious. I have not studied the reviews a lot so would be interested to hear what you think and why you decided to plump for the 7820.

The way I see it, the future is multi-core/multi-threaded.  Just look at the recent months with the market being flooded by new multi-core(many-core) CPU's.  It will only be a matter of time when software developers really start to take advantage of this architecture.  LM have already stated in a recent interview that they are continually improving multi-threaded capability.  LR are doing the same but XP is already around 90% GPU bound but they still take advantage of multi-core CPU architectures.

I also use this PC for other tasks other than just FS.  I'm an independent IT/IS consultant and this PC I use to run multiple VM's to test many different service architectures for clients.  So having the multi-core and lots of RAM will help immensely.

But there is a balance between # of cores and high frequency(ie heat).  I believe this 7280x strikes that balance where I can OC this CPU decently (~4.6-4.8) for sim'ing and not generate too much heat.  I'll delid if I have to.  I do have a custom water loop which I've used on my 2600k, running it at 4.9Ghz for the last 5 years out of the almost 7yrs I've owned it.

I'm just waiting for the delivery of the MB.  I'll update this thread when i get everything up and running.  I haven't moved to P3D v4 yet(still using FSX and XP10) but the intentions are there as soon as the dust settles with all the add-on upgrades and LM first minor update(v4.1).  Windows 10 will also be another scary venture.  Still using Win7.

Fun times ahead!

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

I am still puzzled about current  multi core and FSX or P3d vis-a-vis pure clock speed. Does anyone think that a multicore cpu( 6 or more) with a gtx1080 running at 4.3ghz is better than an old i5-2500k at 4.8ghz with a gtx 1080?

tony

21 hours ago, carlito777 said:

Ok eventually for Price down if it´s a concern but it also depends if you are earlier adopter or not.  I prefer to give some time for new Releases to mature, especially a cpu that will Need a NEW Motherboard. For that reason i just recently upgraded to a 7700k and a rog ix formula fully updated and the System is running like a dream. If coffee lake will be really worth it i dont mind "micro-updating" somewhere after middle of next year if eventually z270 platform would get to be updated for the new cpu...But i will just enjoy my new System for now :)

Cheers,

JP

14 hours ago, flyforever said:

I am still puzzled about current  multi core and FSX or P3d vis-a-vis pure clock speed. Does anyone think that a multicore cpu( 6 or more) with a gtx1080 running at 4.3ghz is better than an old i5-2500k at 4.8ghz with a gtx 1080?

tony

Yeah, this gets me too.

Would love to see true, lab grade, frame rate comparisons of our flight sims.

I am planning a new build in a month or so, and I'm waiting for the i7 7700k price to drop as I'm not convinced that FSW or P3D will make full use of more cores, and justify the price point at this moment.

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg