Sign in to follow this  
ViperXBR

Finally upgrading from a i7 2600k to i7 7820x...

23 hours ago, ViperXBR said:

The way I see it, the future is multi-core/multi-threaded.  Just look at the recent months with the market being flooded by new multi-core(many-core) CPU's.  It will only be a matter of time when software developers really start to take advantage of this architecture.  LM have already stated in a recent interview that they are continually improving multi-threaded capability.  LR are doing the same but XP is already around 90% GPU bound but they still take advantage of multi-core CPU architectures.

I also use this PC for other tasks other than just FS.  I'm an independent IT/IS consultant and this PC I use to run multiple VM's to test many different service architectures for clients.  So having the multi-core and lots of RAM will help immensely.

But there is a balance between # of cores and high frequency(ie heat).  I believe this 7280x strikes that balance where I can OC this CPU decently (~4.6-4.8) for sim'ing and not generate too much heat.  I'll delid if I have to.  I do have a custom water loop which I've used on my 2600k, running it at 4.9Ghz for the last 5 years out of the almost 7yrs I've owned it.

I'm just waiting for the delivery of the MB.  I'll update this thread when i get everything up and running.  I haven't moved to P3D v4 yet(still using FSX and XP10) but the intentions are there as soon as the dust settles with all the add-on upgrades and LM first minor update(v4.1).  Windows 10 will also be another scary venture.  Still using Win7.

Fun times ahead!

OK, thanks for the additional info Todd. Makes sense to me.

Thx for explaining.

Cheers

Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I am still using my i5-2500k at 4.6 ghz oc and a gtx 1060. I have no trouble flying at above 20fps in all conditions and with all aircrafts.

I don't have a problems spending the money; I just think that, in my case, waiting is still a good strategy.

I will make the move only when a cpu will hit 5ghz easily.

tony

On 05/09/2017 at 3:38 PM, ViperXBR said:

In 3 weeks time when Coffee Lake is shipping, something newer will be announced.  Faster, shinier & cheaper and you'll have to wait another few months for it.

Few more months go by and it starts to ship... Oh wait!  They just announced the next one and it's only a few more months wait.  Wow it's really shiny, fast and more bang for less bucks. Gotta wait for that one!

...and so on and so on....

Like I said, Tis the industry...

There's a big difference though between 3 months, 4 months, 6 months, a year and a few weeks, it's less than a month. A few weeks is nothing. Once coffee  Lake is released they won't be announcing anything else mere weeks away, so I agree with the lads. Personally I would wait a little. 

I agree with you in terms of "something new is always around the corner" but my philosophy is if it's a matter of a few weeks, then wait, if it's months, buy now. Otherwise if it's literally weeks, and Coffee Lake is superior it might be a decision you regret.  

21 hours ago, flyforever said:

I will make the move only when a cpu will hit 5ghz easily.

tony

7600K hits 5 GHz relatively easy and its been out a while now. I recently built a mini ITX system for my daughter based on the 7600K and it hits 5 GHz easy enough. Thats with a H100i V2.

On 9/5/2017 at 8:17 AM, Chock said:

If you get into that 'wait for the next new thing' game, you'd never buy anything, the moment those 8th gen ones are out they'll be banging on about the next new thing coming along lol.

Hmm, this sounds like the I-phone. They just came out with their so-called I-phone X. It cost $1,000 because it has a camera that sees your face, and rather than entering a password, you hold it to your face and you log in. Wow, what an amazing achievement (lol)

Upgrade complete!  OC'd(HT turned off) and stable at 4.8Ghz @1.218v.  Eventually I will delid it to reduce the heat when HT enabled.

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

for the question of cores greater than 4 cores with HT My advice would be to go at least 6 cores with HT

V4 is using these cores and HT for texture load... and  I am noticing when all the cores are flat lined at the top I start getting stutters and even blurries.

to avoid stutters and blurries, V4 P3d needs these extra cores and HTs

the only challenge I have is when it comes choosing between  4.5Ghz with 8 cores and HT vs 5.Ghz with 4 cores and HT. Thats hard to judge which is needed more.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

59 minutes ago, Manny said:

the only challenge I have is when it comes choosing between  4.5Ghz with 8 cores and HT vs 5.Ghz with 4 cores and HT. Thats hard to judge which is needed more.

8700K!  6cores/12threads and 5 GHz (on air with a good cooler and case cooling).  No flaky, half-arsed chipset.  And a good price (well, for Intel).

Greg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, lownslo said:

8700K!  6cores/12threads and 5 GHz (on air with a good cooler and case cooling).  No flaky, half-arsed chipset.  And a good price (well, for Intel).

Cool.  Sounds like you've done some significant testing with this new chipset.

So what makes this Coffee Lake chipset (assuming that's what you're talking about) not as flaky or half-arsed compared to others?  Sorry which particular chipset are you using?

I'd like to hear what you've observed so far testing it.

Cheers.

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

if he had tested it, how knows, think the NDA is not lifted yet ...but lot of rumors out on the net.

time will tell.