Sign in to follow this  
Tanguy SEHA

What's your best flying experience in VR?

Hello,

I've got my Oculus this week-end, I didn't have the time to use it a lot but for the little amount of time that I had, I tried Aerofly FS2 on it (that I just purchased for the VR) and I love it, but since it's the begining for me in VR, I'd like to know what are (for you?) the best experience that we can have in VR, just to give me an idea

I own P3D V4, XP 11 (without Flyinside, the native support is supposed to be release soon so I'm hesitating to buy it for the moment), and Aerofly FS2

For the moment I just have the time to do some flights in Socal with Aerofly FS2, during the sunrise and I was blown up when I saw the sun rising just above the hills :D That make me fall in love with the VR! 

Flyinside have a 15 minute demo which I have been using available on each platform. I am loving the Flyinside experience although it is a little glitchy. Sometimes I get a weird black border to the side of my vision when I move my head as though it is converting the screen to fit the VR goggles perspective and doesn't fit the entire peripheral view. As soon I hold my head still it is fine again. I can't wait for native support. 

For me the real deal is using Ortho4XP with Flyinside. The combination of flying over photoreal scenery combined with VR is unbeatable. I would like to try AeroFly 2 but they don't have a demo and it is a bit pricey.

And as a side note, I would recommend Elite Dangerous as a space sim. Truly out of this world...no pun intended :laugh:

FlyInside is worth buying. There is no telling when native VR support will come for XP 11, I'm afraid it will be close to the end of the year if not the middle of next year, judging how LR releases their updates. Of course that is only guessing. I don't have Aerofly or DCS so don't know how their VR is, but I am glad I am not missing out on XP 11 VR. 

Flyinside seems a little bit tricky to setup, in comparition with Aerofly which is a plug and play sim 

And I also have a problem with the demo of flyinside, it's sometimes 120 degrés to the left of my "normal" head's position (I.e. When I'm looking in front of me, the FI panel is at my 120 degres to the right) I don't know if there is a key to quickly setup a new point of view, like we have on Aerofly Fs2 with the space bar or with the Track Ir

DCS is also a Vr showcase:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

46 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

Flyinside have a 15 minute demo which I have been using available on each platform. I am loving the Flyinside experience although it is a little glitchy. Sometimes I get a weird black border to the side of my vision when I move my head as though it is converting the screen to fit the VR goggles perspective and doesn't fit the entire peripheral view. As soon I hold my head still it is fine again. I can't wait for native support. 

For me the real deal is using Ortho4XP with Flyinside. The combination of flying over photoreal scenery combined with VR is unbeatable. I would like to try AeroFly 2 but they don't have a demo and it is a bit pricey.

And as a side note, I would recommend Elite Dangerous as a space sim. Truly out of this world...no pun intended :laugh:

About that black border on the side, at the time i was using flyinside with p3dv3 i could set the value for the FOV in the flyinside options. You should increase it until you get fully covered and have no black sides...

39 minutes ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

Flyinside seems a little bit tricky to setup, in comparition with Aerofly which is a plug and play sim 

And I also have a problem with the demo of flyinside, it's sometimes 120 degrés to the left of my "normal" head's position (I.e. When I'm looking in front of me, the FI panel is at my 120 degres to the right) I don't know if there is a key to quickly setup a new point of view, like we have on Aerofly Fs2 with the space bar or with the Track Ir

Yes there is, in controls (key assignment), views category, you have an Option to reset the view in VR and assign a Joystick button (what i did. Very Handy). But that is the for the VR virtual Cockpit and dont know if ist applicable to Flyinside menu. For the menu itself right at Startup the firt window should ask you to press a button to recenter  your view. 

Edited by FuriousBird

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

DCS is also a Vr showcase:

Thank you, I'm currently downloading it

And thank you for all your answers, but ddo you have any ideas of the type of area where I can fly in Aerofly or X Plane to blow my mind? :) 

11 minutes ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

Thank you, I'm currently downloading it

And thank you for all your answers, but ddo you have any ideas of the type of area where I can fly in Aerofly or X Plane to blow my mind? :) 

Depends on your preference. If using X-Plane and downloading Orthophotos, I'd recommend the Telluride area (Colorado), Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. For payware...Bellacoola. Also MisterX's freeware Boston rocks.

The sky's the limit...oops...what is it with me and bad puns today?

Just now, steve310002 said:

Depends on your preference. If downloading Orthophotos, I'd recommend the Telluride area (Colorado), Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. For payware...Bellacoola. Also MisterX's freeware Boston rocks.

Thank you, yes I'm an O4XP user, I still have to download some places in the US (I don't realy know where are the nice places, I'm not from the US) what are your sources when you're downloading tiles on those areas??? 

In Aerofly try New york, where the city and all major airports in the area are modeled. Try flying over the grand canyon. Visit utah! Dont forget to download the free high resolution scenery pack. (Utah is also free) don't forget to download the dash 8.

And finally don't forget to join the beta channel for all the latest updates.

Try X-plane California with Mr X's Free Ksan. Any photoscenery you can add to the sim changes things much to the better. Try this tiny change to the default Seattle area to get an idea of whats possible: http://forums.x-pilot.com/files/file/321-ksea-seattle-photoreal-underlay/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 minutes ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

Thank you again!

Where can I join the beta channel for the latest update???

• In your Steam Library right click on Aerofly.
  • Go to the bottom of the dropdown and click properties.
  • Click Betas.
  • Choose Public Beta.

Here is the link to the free and paid DLC page: http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/434030/

Devons rig

3 hours ago, steve310002 said:

You are in a ship in Elite, so technically its sailing and not flying!

1 hour ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

Thank you, yes I'm an O4XP user, I still have to download some places in the US (I don't realy know where are the nice places, I'm not from the US) what are your sources when you're downloading tiles on those areas??? 

I found Bing the best overall.  I use ZL17 with 18/3 around airports.  In a few areas I found ARC better. Not much luck with Google as I always end up with a bunch of incomplete tiles covered in blue. I have done all of the western USA + Florida and a few areas along the eastern seaboard (In and around Boston), mostly with Bing.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2