Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

P3dv4 blurry laggy slow texture loading popping and stutters

3 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

I always thought the 1/2 refresh rate, vsynch and adaptive vsynch only functioned in true full screen mode while P3D is windowed mode?

Maybe several years ago that was the case, but pretty sure nVidia addressed that issue, not sure about AMD?  But the Vsync and triple buffer option I'm recommending is selected in P3D not via NCP/NI.  I don't use NCP/NI at all, everything set to "Application defaults".

Cheers, Rob.

35 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Maybe several years ago that was the case, but pretty sure nVidia addressed that issue, not sure about AMD?  But the Vsync and triple buffer option I'm recommending is selected in P3D not via NCP/NI.  I don't use NCP/NI at all, everything set to "Application defaults".

Cheers, Rob.

Ok thanks. That clarifies it. I am also using Vsync in P3D with a 30Hz 4k monitor. Works well!

Regards.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

My last major FPS problem was caused by bad sound card drivers. I went from 35 FPS to around 3-5 FPS. Of course I tested everything else first, specifically video.  You could check if sound is the issue by temporally disabling your device in device manager or, as I did by disabling the built in sound in the bios. Once I had confirmed this to be the issue I updated the sound ( Realtek) drivers and back to to normal.

Cheers,

howevr

47 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Where are you setting the 1/2 refresh rate option at then if not in NI/NCP?  I thought you had said you did the 1/2, maybe i misread, have you just set your screen to 30hz or is 30hz.  In my case mine is 60hz.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

8 hours ago, theskyisthelimit said:

Where are you setting the 1/2 refresh rate option at then if not in NI/NCP?  I thought you had said you did the 1/2, maybe i misread, have you just set your screen to 30hz or is 30hz.  In my case mine is 60hz.

If you cannot set your monitor to 30 Hrtz :

Use DXTory. The free version. Best framerate limiter there is with no impact on performance.  On the last tab at the bottom you can set FPS. Set it to 20 or 30. Do not set it to 21 or 31 as some do.. P3D to Unlimited and VSync + TB on.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

11 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, how do you set 1/2 VSync if not via NCP (I don't se NI either)? My P3D v4 doesn't show the 1/2 option, only VSync, if I'm not very mistaken. Thanks!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

21 hours ago, theskyisthelimit said:

Ill try that indeed.. i'm on that latest one from i think end of august.. thank you.

I may be trying a 1080ti soon too.. any preferences out there on which model.. baseline gtx or ftw etc.. my 1080 ftw is what i have now.. i'm not seeing a ton available on amazon though.. I usually opt for evga, but i see that the asus is available and well reviewed via prime 

Were you able to try my suggestion?  I can give you my other settings if this doesn't work.  

31 minutes ago, Tony P said:

Were you able to try my suggestion?  I can give you my other settings if this doesn't work.  

Yea I just did it in fact. Tile loading wasn't much different. I still think that's a LM issue. The slight stuttering on a turn near ksan stayed about the same. Overall maybe 2fps better but maybe placebo. 

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

51 minutes ago, theskyisthelimit said:

Yea I just did it in fact. Tile loading wasn't much different. I still think that's a LM issue. The slight stuttering on a turn near ksan stayed about the same. Overall maybe 2fps better but maybe placebo. 

Ok - Here are a few other things to note.  

I only have two mods in my prepar3d.cfg which is TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8 in [TERRAIN]  I've been told this is the default but I have noticed a difference in texture loading while in flight. Especially looking externally and panning around.   The second thing is TBM in [DISPLAY] Mine is set to 160.   Thats it for the cfg file.

In the NVidia control panel - Under Manager 3D settings I have Single display performance mode and Prefer Max Performance under power management.  

Like I mentioned earlier - All of the sliders in game are set to max except Autogen Draw distance (Medium).  Also I have Dynamic 3D Autogen Vegetation off.    I'm using NO FXAA,  8xMSAA (AA),  16x Aniso and 4096 Texture Res.  VSync is off and Target frames are unlimited.  

Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Rob, how do you set 1/2 VSync if not via NCP (I don't se NI either)? My P3D v4 doesn't show the 1/2 option, only VSync, if I'm not very mistaken. Thanks!

Hi. You can't set 1/2 vsync in P3D, only via NCP or NI. Rob only sets vsync in P3D. I've searched the forums and it still appears vsync in NI or NCP will not work since P3D is not full screen, but actually windowed mode made to emulate full screen. Vsync in NI or NCP only works in true full screen..

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

9 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Rob, how do you set 1/2 VSync if not via NCP (I don't se NI either)?

Sorry, yes NCP is required but you are not setting Vsync via NCP ... you change the monitor refresh rate:

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, please advise if this is normal. I just set my screen for 30 Hz (NCP), also set P3D v4 to Unlimited FPS, VSync ON and Triple Buffering ON, but...when I check the FPS Counter within P3D v4 (the reds left above) I see occasional numbers higher than 30, so I'm in doubt if the changes I made are really in effect.

Thanks again! :-)

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

14 minutes ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Rob, please advise if this is normal. I just set my screen for 30 Hz (NCP), also set P3D v4 to Unlimited FPS, VSync ON and Triple Buffering ON, but...when I check the FPS Counter within P3D v4 (the reds left above) I see occasional numbers higher than 30, so I'm in doubt if the changes I made are really in effect.

Thanks again! :-)

My settings are the same as yours with my 30Hz 4K monitor. If your system can keep up, the FPS will always vary around 30 which is normal. Only if your system cannot maintain 30 FPS which is the refresh rate of the monitor you will see the frames drop drastically below 30.....This is where Adaptive vsync comes in handy to turn off vsync if your setup cannot maintain 30 FPS but this does not work in P3D Windowed mode.

Peter Webber

2 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

when I check the FPS Counter within P3D v4 (the reds left above) I see occasional numbers higher than 30

The Shift+Z P3D FPS counter isn't very accurate, but it's normal to see FPS fluctuate between 29-31.  I prefer to use other FPS monitoring tools that don't poll as frequently (i.e. EVGA Precision OCX, nVidia's FPS overlay, etc.).

If you are below your monitor's refresh rate, then you'll see stutters.

Also, different monitor manufacturers will often work better with a specific output color format ... so you might want to experiment with the section of RGB full vs. YCbCr444 ... 10bpc monitors are nice (I have one on my other FS PC) but 10 bpc isn't being used by P3D V4.  If you are getting a lot of visual "Gradients" (i.e. dusk sky) then check your Output Dynamic Range (FULL for RGB, disabled when using YCbCr444 or YCbCr422).

I'd recommend you experiment with all these settings in NCP to see what looks best for you.  Often when people report P3D as "too dark" it's because their Output dynamic range is set to limited or wrong output format for the monitor or monitor does support 8 bpc or better.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

The Shift+Z P3D FPS counter isn't very accurate, but it's normal to see FPS fluctuate between 29-31.  I prefer to use other FPS monitoring tools that don't poll as frequently (i.e. EVGA Precision OCX, nVidia's FPS overlay, etc.).

If you are below your monitor's refresh rate, then you'll see stutters.

Also, different monitor manufacturers will often work better with a specific output color format ... so you might want to experiment with the section of RGB full vs. YCbCr444 ... 10bpc monitors are nice (I have one on my other FS PC) but 10 bpc isn't being used by P3D V4.  If you are getting a lot of visual "Gradients" (i.e. dusk sky) then check your Output Dynamic Range (FULL for RGB, disabled when using YCbCr444 or YCbCr422).

I'd recommend you experiment with all these settings in NCP to see what looks best for you.  Often when people report P3D as "too dark" it's because their Output dynamic range is set to limited or wrong output format for the monitor or monitor does support 8 bpc or better.

Cheers, Rob.

What setting are you using with your Sony  4k tv?  RGB?

Kevin Humphryes