Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

P3dv4 blurry laggy slow texture loading popping and stutters

2 hours ago, Dreamflight767 said:

Rob, I could hug you!

When you said add-ons not compatible with P3DV4 I immediately thought of mytraffic.  I already thought I turned it off and tested my sim without it.  But when I went to check again, I realize it would not stay "un-checked" in the scenery library.

I went and manual disabled it, and boom.  No stutters and huge, huge, FPS increase.

Brilliant.

Thanks so much.  I'm going to do more testing but this is absolutely the right direction.

I have MT6 as well.  Does anyone know if UT performs better in V4?  I never realized how much of an impact MT6 has so I'll try to do some testing this weekend to see what it does for me.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

9 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

No, you can set your default browser to something else, but you can't disable Edge.  The usual BS from Microsoft saying it's "Core" to the OS, yada, yada ... utter and total BS (anyone that has programmed anything knows that's complete nonsense from Microsoft).

On Apple OSX front you can actually remove Safari from your Mac without any consequences, not so with Microsoft Edge (especially if you operate Visual Studio 2015/2017).

As far as blurries, here is a video I made of the problem I "had" that was actually solved by a BIOS/EFI update with CPU microcode update:

The initial problem:

Temporary solution was to disable Intel's Turbo Boost Max:

Final solution was to update the EFI/BIOS and CPU microcode update, re-enable Intel's Turbo Boost Max:

But as you can see from my first video, there clearly was something NOT correct, in my case it turned out to be a hardware issue that was resolved via microcode update.  But what this issue does demonstrate that if thread contention happens, you'll get "blurries".

Cheers, Rob.

Rob

Is that problem specific to turbo boost 3.0 or with 2.0 as well?  I have a 6600k and was wondering if that was what was causing my blurries as the flight progresses or if I'm just throwing too much at my computer even though I can maintain my monitor refresh rate FPS.  My build is only a year old but I've never updated my BIOS mostly because I don't know how.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

On 9/8/2017 at 10:52 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

You WILL see a gain going from a 1080 FE to a 1080Ti, I did, about 25%.  Again, I can't comment on "worth/value" that's entirely subjective.

Cheers, Rob.

I decided to compare the 1080 to fc2 hybrid with my ftw 1080... my initial tests clean driver show no gains at all. I even cranked up settings on the old and compared. Somehow identical overall.  It might be a tad more smooth in terms of lower frame stutter but not by much. 

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

On 15/09/2017 at 10:28 PM, theskyisthelimit said:

I decided to compare the 1080 to fc2 hybrid with my ftw 1080... my initial tests clean driver show no gains at all. I even cranked up settings on the old and compared. Somehow identical overall.  It might be a tad more smooth in terms of lower frame stutter but not by much. 

Please confirm, the comparison is of a 1080ti with a 1080 FTW (non-ti)?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

2 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Please confirm, the comparison is of a 1080ti with a 1080 FTW (non-ti)?

Yes it was.  1080ftw vs 1080ti sc2. Both hybrid.  I did some searching too, there are a few other posts out there that had the same results. 

• Upvote 1

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

1 hour ago, theskyisthelimit said:

Yes it was.  1080ftw vs 1080ti sc2. Both hybrid.  I did some searching too, there are a few other posts out there that had the same results. 

Thanks for the feedback, so it's probably still time to wait for the next releases. I have a 1080 FTW air cooled, running a 4k screen frequently it gets "hammered" at 99-100% load.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

23 minutes ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Thanks for the feedback, so it's probably still time to wait for the next releases. I have a 1080 FTW air cooled, running a 4k screen frequently it gets "hammered" at 99-100% load.

Yea I'm holding out till 2018. The next one, volta, is due out by then :)

On 17/09/2017 at 0:35 PM, theskyisthelimit said:

Yea I'm holding out till 2018. The next one, volta, is due out by then :)

I've been doing some evaluations the last few days and noticed that clouds are destroying my performance. I was using REX 4096 textures and whenever I got some serious cloud covers the frame rate would go down to, occasionally, some single digits. Now I reverted to AA 4x (8x before) and also reverted the cloud texture to 2048, it looks like I can keep 20+ FPS for the majority of the time this way, which I consider acceptable.

Now, dusk/dawn really hits performance as well and it doesn't seem to be cloud or shadow related...

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

2 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

I've been doing some evaluations the last few days and noticed that clouds are destroying my performance. I was using REX 4096 textures and whenever I got some serious cloud covers the frame rate would go down to, occasionally, some single digits. Now I reverted to AA 4x (8x before) and also reverted the cloud texture to 2048, it looks like I can keep 20+ FPS for the majority of the time this way, which I consider acceptable.

Now, dusk/dawn really hits performance as well and it doesn't seem to be cloud or shadow related...

I think this is general performance experience in a nutshell  you have there. Using ASCA+AS16 1024+524 textures here.

Only reason my SLI is still on "overtime" is on those scenarios you mention - Otherwise waist of money going SLI (no GPU VRAM benefits) vs singlecard (my opinion)

I also hate these slow loading textures but can only use High resolution textures with small GA /VFR planes

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Just to update my thread.. at one point i had cured all stuttering in my sim.. then i did a few things and couldnt figure out what was causing the new stuttering.. 

The issue i ran into, which may have been similar to when i started this thread.. was that turning at an angle, hard turning, was causing a stutter every 1-2 seconds.. the scenery would stutter.

I decided to try a clean install.. worked fine.. then i went back to the full install.. and tried a clean scenery folder.. no stuttering still.. so then i put my mixed/full scenery folder back.. i came to realize the global folder sub folder scenery was the cause..

I figured out that files like 

BM_LT.bgl, BM_LTC.bgl, BM_LTSH.BGL, BM_PLTB.bgl were the cause.. these files belong to black marble..

So rather than just remove them.. i went into black marble and deactivated things..

The files remained but the stuttering stayed away (strangely)..

So the root cause for me was Black Marble files/being activated (daytime or not).

I decided to repeat my test this time just making sure it was a bare bones p3dv4.1 and only BM Vector (base alone is only minor stuttering).. the same thing occurred, stuttering.. i then reverted to a clean install.. with just UTX this time .. UTX caused stuttering as well.. however if i turned off traffic and maybe one other feature (forget which), it was more manageable but still not where it should be..

So I'm thinking, or maybe incorrectly thinking, that maybe hardware is the cause here, though clearly the vector software in general may be inducing this condition.. i tried taking away the overclock by just setting the bios to 42x instead of 46 (4.2 instead of 4.6), same thing.. i also tested on another machine with a different non overclocked CPU and I'm not positive but i dont think i had stuttering (on a 70" uhd vs my 43" sony, though the 70 was hooked up via straight hdmi while the sony is using a display port adapter to hdmi (since my goggles are hooked up on hdmi)... i clearly have some trials to do here, maybe even bringing my other machine into the room and hooking it up to the sony just rule things out and verify there really is no stutter on that system.. and maybe even disconnecting all usb and even the usb card from the system to rule out weird irqs.. still though, it seems software induced but i guess it could be anything.

another update:

Reset and updated my bios all defaults.. same stuttering.. checked GPU usage during the basic test, never exceeded 49%, avg 35%.. ram usage around 2.7GB (vram).. cpu usage max 49%.. so its not a resource issue it would seem, has to be something else, or hardware interrupt issue, or possible ram fault somehow (added 16GB extra about 6 months ago, possibly related, may pull 16 of the 32 and retest)..