Sign in to follow this  
bleekemolen

Landing problems

Trying out the DC-6 for FSX now for about two weeks and though I'm hooked to A2A products my love for prop driven planes made me purchase this beauty. It took me some time to get the engines running with or without the help of my copilot. Finally I've made several test flights without to much problems, except for the landings. 

With all settings ready for landing , the plane doesn't respond when I try to pitch up for the flare. My landing speed is about 110 kts, flaps, trim etc according to the checklist set, but when I gently pull my yoke towards me nothing happens (while in flight it 's response is as might expected) and the plane falls like a brick on the tarmac. 

What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the PMDG forums, please note their rules require our full names on all posts here.

Hard to tell, you didn't provide much detail and not looking over your shoulder I'm not sure. Certainly sounds like you are over flaring and speed is dropping too much, the flare is more of a flying it to the runway maneuver than you might be used to in the C172, and with all flaps out it is going to loose speed rapidly. I bet you're not doing anything wrong, you are simply learning how to fly this beauty.

Dan Downs KCRP

Maybe you where allready on the ground. They did not put in a landing sound. so you do not hear when you are on the ground.No squeeking tires when touching the ground!

Ronald van Ingen

• Upvote 1

Also, when you are at low speeds I think the elevator is not that effective because there is a lower stream of air. The missing landing sounds are an anoying thing, hope for a patch soon.

• Upvote 1

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

13 hours ago, downscc said:

Certainly sounds like you are over flaring and speed is dropping too much, the flare is more of a flying it to the runway maneuver than you might be used to in the C172, and with all flaps out it is going to loose speed rapidly. I bet you're not doing anything wrong, you are simply learning how to fly this beauty.

Thanks Downscc for your quick response. In this case it wasn't a over flaring; that would mean that my pulling-the-yoke action had some result and the plane's nose  would lift. You're absolutely right with your remark that I'm still in a learning process. This morning tried out several landings and noticed that my pitch trim settings caused the plane not to pitch up for flaring (nose down and neutral). After using a number of different pitch trim settings she flared beautifully and landed smoothly.

11 hours ago, RonnieDuck said:

Maybe you where allready on the ground. They did not put in a landing sound. so you do not hear when you are on the ground.No squeeking tires when touching the ground!

Solved that problem earlier, Ronald. Thanks for the tip anyway. I couldn't believe not hearing the tires screeching after my first flights. How is it possible that PMDG forgot that important element? Indeed, hopefully an upcoming patch will deal with that. In the meantime ACCUFeel solves this lack for me.

Peter

26 minutes ago, bleekemolen said:

I couldn't believe not hearing the tires screeching after my first flights. How is it possible that PMDG forgot that important element? Indeed, hopefully an upcoming patch will deal with that. In the meantime ACCUFeel solves this lack for me.

Peter

flying and landing in several airplanes as passenger (from an old C119 or a C130, DC9, A320, B737, etc.), I never heard tires screeching, rather a something like a "thump" sound, but no screeching, and I don't want this "hollywodd effect" in my DC6. And if you land smoothly you can feel just a light shaking without almost any sound.

Claudio Rampini

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

1 hour ago, rampa said:

flying and landing in several airplanes as passenger (from an old C119 or a C130, DC9, A320, B737, etc.), I never heard tires screeching, rather a something like a "thump" sound, but no screeching, and I don't want this "hollywodd effect" in my DC6. And if you land smoothly you can feel just a light shaking without almost any sound.

I, on the other hand, have actually heard airliners squeak when they land as well as GA planes. I think the louder noise of the jet sometimes covers it up and especially if the wind is not carrying the sound directly in your direction. Further more it has to do with the fact that when you're inside an airliner, you are sitting in an pressurized enclosed environment with all the sound reduction materials within the walls which restrict most sounds from outside coming inside. 

Apart from that, due to the lack of a three-dimensional surrounding while flying in a flight simulator, the sound of tires on the tarmac and in some cases the shaking and rattling of the fuselage during the landing makes you realize you're actually on the ground. And that's what I like to hear..

Peter

4 hours ago, rampa said:

Claudio Rampini

But unfortunately we cant feel this in sim (unless you own an Buttkicker) so I prefer sound feedback. The cabin always rattles a bit.

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

I can feel a hard landing from a soft landing in the DC6, but I never tried a really hard landing to see what happens, the next time I'll do it. Also the rattling, if you mean the noise and not the shaking, the A2A Connie has these and the squeaks on landing, but I think this is an interpretation of the developper. My only doubt at this moment on the DC6 is the flap dragging, really strong and never seen on a simulated plane before.

I tried a very hard landing, no flaps and high speed, there is no way to break this gear! total unrealistic in my opinion. So the real problem here seems a real landing, no the "real screechings". Also my impression is that someone need to revise the flight dynamics when the flaps and the landing gear are down, sometimes there is "no logic" in the answer from the plane, but I need to try more.

Claudio Rampini

27 minutes ago, rampa said:

I tried a very hard landing, no flaps and high speed, there is no way to break this gear! total unrealistic in my opinion. So the real problem here seems a real landing, no the "real screechings". Also my impression is that someone need to revise the flight dynamics when the flaps and the landing gear are down, sometimes there is "no logic" in the answer from the plane, but I need to try more.

Full names on all posts here please.

Do you have time in a DC-6 with which you are basing your opinions?  There is no damage simulated in the structure of the aircraft, not advertised and not delivered.  I think if you want screeching landings you need to use products that lend themselves more to the Hollywood effects some prefer.  I've not heard a tire screech in the twin I fly ever... not at least from the cockpit.

Dan Downs KCRP

This is a different business from the "hollywood effects", it is how the plane works on approach and landing, and it seems that you can land the DC6 smoothly or hardly but with the same result. I don't expect damages but we have to feel the difference.

In this video we can see how a DC6 works, at min 3.55, there are few "rattles" too:

Claudio Rampini

15 hours ago, rampa said:

I can feel a hard landing from a soft landing in the DC6, but I never tried a really hard landing to see what happens, the next time I'll do it. Also the rattling, if you mean the noise and not the shaking, the A2A Connie has these and the squeaks on landing, but I think this is an interpretation of the developper. My only doubt at this moment on the DC6 is the flap dragging, really strong and never seen on a simulated plane before.

Flaps effect on drag and lift are very closely simulated to the real plane. For the lift change we had data and they were met with the pitch attitude at certain speeds and weights plus stall speed references.

For drag reference you can check engine/weight/speed references from the approach scratch and you will see she flies like those references images.

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

Thank you Metzgergva for solving my doubts about the flap dragging.

19 hours ago, rampa said:

None of our products simulate crash dynamics. The sim's dynamics are pretty awful in this area anyway. We could probably program around it, but I'd argue our efforts are better spent elsewhere.

As far as the rest goes, you will need to be a lot more specific about your accusations of lack of logic. The dynamics were done up by one of the leaders in the flight simming hobby for literal decades, validated by people who have flown, and still fly, the 6.

Kyle Rodgers