Sign in to follow this  
asianwings

Can Prepar3d V4 work on low spec computer?

No, not really

...even though LM says that you should be able to. It would be tough going I think.

Kind regards,

3 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

No, not really

...even though LM says that you should be able to. It would be tough going I think.

Absolutely correct,  LM will always say it will, (which technically is correct as it will install ok), but the proformance will be awful.  

14ppkc-6.png

It will run OK, if you can run FSX fine it will work fine as-well, I run V4 on my core m3-7y30 laptop, on medium settings at 20-40 fps which is totally playable, if you willing to turn the setting to low, I get a constant 40+ fps, it looks a bit better than default FSX. If your considering buying addons where you have to choose between FSX or P3D I would recommend getting the P3D for future proofing.

I know for a fact that P3D V4 can run on 4Gb of RAM easily and I also know that FSX can run on a laptop with no dedicated GPU and only an old intel Core Duo processor and actually get fairly okay frame rates. So...

If you can run FSX, chances are you can run P3D, since it is basically a tarted up version of FSX made 64 bit, and in fact since it has been a bit better optimised, you might even see it looking better than FSX and running a bit faster, but to achieve that you will probably have to move those sliders to the left or turn off some of the fancier graphic whistles and bells. 

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Value is a relative term, but in all honesty, I wouldn't spend £200 on P3D if you're running it on a very old system, not really suited to the job.  It just wouldn't be worth the spend (in my opinion).  

Better optimized means in the regard of P3Dv4 that even more duties were moved from CPU to GPU. This means, in contrast to FSX, the GPU is more important in P3Dv4, no matter if it is 64bit or not. And I guess that the iGPU will not handle this properly. Also do not forget that the iGPU uses the system RAM, means those 4GB are even not completely available neither for the GPU nor the System.

Verdict: No, I would not buy P3D to run it on such a system...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

But if you feel compelled to do so (buy the software), fiddle with the sliders, starting at the extreme low end, and you just might find some settings that work for you.  But frame rate is addictive - it adds fluidity and fidelity of control that is hard to explain until you've experienced it- especially for landings.  I say, heck buy it and let it be the motivation that encourages a purchase of a more powerful PC.  You won't have to re-purchase the software after all.   And even a slow computer won't prohibit you from learning how the systems interact.

Lastly, if you can master the plane on a low frame-rate PC, you'll be a champ when you upgrade to a nicer system.

My Commodore 64 running Bruce Artwick's SubLogic Flight Simulator II got about 2-3 frames per second and mostly wire frame graphics, but in 1983 it was all we had and we loved the holy snot out of it.

Life is relative.

Mark Trainer

Edited by mtrainer
Make sure your video card is DirectX 11 or better or you'll be SOL (Sorry Outa Luck)

19 hours ago, Chock said:

I know for a fact that P3D V4 can run on 4Gb of RAM easily and I also know that FSX can run on a laptop with no dedicated GPU and only an old intel Core Duo processor and actually get fairly okay frame rates. So...

If you can run FSX, chances are you can run P3D, since it is basically a tarted up version of FSX made 64 bit, and in fact since it has been a bit better optimised, you might even see it looking better than FSX and running a bit faster, but to achieve that you will probably have to move those sliders to the left or turn off some of the fancier graphic whistles and bells. 

I don't find this true at all. I have a low end system, and P3D V3 runs much much better than P3D V4, no matter how low I turned the sliders.

I can't say I will be able to afford a new $1,000 upgrade for me right now for V4, so I'll stay with V3 for the time being. Runs fine for me. 

Much of the performance people get with any computer system depends not only on the components themselves, but how those components interact with one another, which is why some people get better mileage than others when they say they have the same processor or GPU or whatever as someone else; it's easy to bottleneck a system with a component which doesn't have bus speeds that play nicely with other parts of the system, or a processor which doesn't like a particular operating system or whatever. It's really critical to research that kind of thing when building or upgrading a computer. Time spent researching that stuff is never time wasted.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It might the basic simulator at minimal settings, probably wont unlike fsx without at least a dedicated graphics card with its own faster video memory.