Sign in to follow this  
glsimpilot

Several Choices in GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

I've come to depend on community feedback for major hardware purchases and I've got one coming up. I'm planning to upgrade my video card from an EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti that I installed in 2015 to the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti. To be honest the 980 Ti has very little trouble with anything I've thrown at it but I'm looking to move it to another gaming PC and want my primary PC to have the extra horsepower for the future and to get the most out of the Oculus Rift I've recently begun a new addiction with. The rest of my rig includes 32 GB of memory, SSDs, an Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz on an ASUS Z97-A-USB31 motherboard.

From research I've seen different specifications and configurations, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID GAMING, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID GAMING, etc 

Any suggestions? Pitfalls to watch for? Thanks for the help.

Good question, I was looking at the 1080 Ti yesterday and was wondering the same thing, must be half dozen or more to choose from? 

Martin

Yes the choices can be overwhelming.  I can't comment on the EVGA cards as I have never owned one, but I can recommend the Gigabyte Aorus extreme.

Matt Wilson

Asus always makes a good product.  Take a look at the Asus ROG Strix 1080ti.  What I'm investing in when I start my upgrade.

• Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

On 9/7/2017 at 3:45 AM, thibodba57 said:

Asus always makes a good product.  Take a look at the Asus ROG Strix 1080ti.  What I'm investing in when I start my upgrade.

Yup, that's something I'll agree with. I have an 8Gb DDR5 ASUS Strix Radeon RX480. For such a comparatively inexpensive GPU, that thing has P3D V4 zipping along at really impressive frame rates, even when you throw a lot of fancy add-ons into the mix.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Personally I would read some reviews and would go straight for the card which is the most quiet one. As all 1080Ti do not differ that much in performance (although the manufacturer will try to tell you so...), the noise is the most favourable decision point (at least to me). Personally, I went for the GIGABYTE 1080TI Aorus (non-extreme) and it is impressivly quiet even under full load. ASUS seems to have a brilliant cooling solution as well.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I did end up with my usual brand EVGA. I'm waiting on the arrival of an EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING Graphics Card.

Happy flight simming all.

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2017 at 9:25 AM, AnkH said:

would go straight for the card which is the most quiet one. 

Nooooo!!! Noise is best.  Gotta simulate the avionics cooling!! Just kidding 😃

• Upvote 1

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I think you're going to be very happy with that EVGA card.   I have a couple of EVGA "Black series" 1080ti's that I run for various applications, including P3D v4 and I've really pushed them hard. The "Black Series" is the same as the SC2 SKU, minus the extra sensors and RGB lighting.   I run these cards practically 24/7 at 75-99% and they keep on performing without a problem.  I seldom get temps above 61 deg C on air, but I run a very aggressive fan curve.

Good luck and enjoy the new card!

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's