Sign in to follow this  
N1G

I loved the addons forum so why group punishment?

The problem with the strategy is that it  can alienate many or most of the well-behaved. Why not just punish the ones that are doing it? I don't understand Jim. Many of us have been here for a decade or more and many of us too have made mistakes, but a forum was never removed as far as I remember. So now everyone will post addons to the General forum I guess.

Bob

"The Board" should learn how advertising works.  So what if users post a link to where the product is purchased?  The whole point of online advertising is generating quality site traffic.  If you continue to crack down on users, we go other places, your site traffic plummets, and advertisers become angry.  I use to sell ad space on websites for a major newspaper.  Just my two cents.

Brian

• Upvote 3

Was the X-Plane addon forum the only one on Avsim that was completely removed along with its contents? Or was this applied across the board to all equivalent posts for other flight sims?

If it only happened here (and I don't know that that's the case), then it would raise questions about preferential treatment for flight sim platforms that have official presence on Avsim vs. those that don't, like Laminar.

Especially in light of this current thread below, where Jim Young continually mentions links to the .org, and x-aviation as examples that triggered the move, Not a peep about the other sims:

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I do hope that this situation can be resolved. These days I rather prefer this outlet for my X-Plane news and knowledge, perhaps because it tends to be smaller than the alternative; I know most everyone that posts here, plus it has active and knowledgeable input from a few X-Plane addon developers that tends to not get buried and lost.

I know the moderators do a difficult job; I don't envy them in the slightest. I've even admired the fact that they seem to strive to be impartial when some of them have their own ties to specific organizations or payware companies.

It does have the appearance that this seems to affect the X-Plane community more than any of the others - quite unfortunate. Many of our X-Plane resources are hosted on payware sites, so perhaps it's unavoidable? It's perhaps also an unavoidable conflict when you have sub-forums for competing payware platforms (LM, Laminar, Dovetail, etc), but advertisers present for primarily just one of those platforms. Not sure how that can be overcome, while being fair to the advertisers and the forum members at the same time.

Fingers crossed that they can come up with a solution. I feel this place has been a great resource for a small & personal X-Plane community; I'd be sad if that were to wither away. (And I most definitely feel that will be the case if a solution cannot be found.)

• Upvote 5

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.