Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

A matter of vision...

A while ago I posted a problem here that I was having with my keyboard not responding when  I brought up P3Dv4.  I thought I had it solved but it came back.

To get the keyboard operational I had to either ctl-alt-del and bring up the task manager and immediately close it and press the Window key and click on the screen with the mouse.

I have P3Dv4 running at a resolution of1920x1080 and my computer itself running at 1600x900.  It's difference in screen resolutions that is the problem.

If I make the computer screen resolution and the P3Dv4 resolution the same, P3Dv4 comes up normally.

But I need different resolutions.  When I have P3Dv4 set to the native resolution of my monitor  (2560x1440) these tired 83 year old eyes can't read the glass cockpit panels.  I have to lower the resolution down to 1920x1080.  That makes it all readable while flying.

But that is too high when I am trying to read Google News or work on my word processor or read e-mail.  A resolution of 1600x900 works for that.

At least I know where the problem lies and I can live with that.  I just have to click on the Window key and then click on the screen and everything works fine.

Getting old can be a word not allowed.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

You are aware that you can increase the font size and icons of your Windows? I mean, if the resolution you want to use for P3D is to high for Windows and stuff because the fonts get to small, simply increase the font size up to 150% and use bigger Icons... Then it would at least be possible to avoid running Windows in a lower resolution than P3D. Furthermore, within your browser, you can increase the size of the content simply by clicking on "Ctrl" and move your mousewheel up...

Within P3D, you can play around with the zoom settings. If you can not read the digits and letters on a glass cockpit screen, why not zooming in?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I know that I can increase the font size to 150%.  I am using 125% now which seems to be a good compromise. 

Using different screen resolutions for P3Dv4 and my desktop is a good compromise.  Having to click the Windows key and screen only takes a second or two and is worth having an optimal size for both environments.

I brought this up because with FSX and the earlier versions of P3D it was not a problem.  It only showed up after I got P3Dv4.  I don't know why.  Maybe it's my system.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Well, then I still do not get it. As the 1920x1080 resolution is about 20% more than 1600x900, you could simply use 150% instead of 125% along with the 1920x1080 resolution and your fonts would be exactly the same size as with 125% and 1600x900...

Then: if you use the same zoom level inside P3D, changing the resolution only changes... well, the resolution. A specific texture (such as the glasscockpit writings) is not changed in size if you switch between 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 or 1600x900. The only thing that changes if you do not take care is the relative zoom level. Means: your 1920x1080 P3D setting provides you bigger letters because it uses a different zoom level compared to 2560x1440. That's all, and that's why I suggest to rather change the zoom instead of the resolution. It is a pity to use such a nice screen with such low resolutions and in my eyes completely not necessary...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

AnkH,

If I do as you suggest and use 150% at 1920x1080 then many screens don't fit on the page.  I've tried that.  Using those settings when I bring up the scenery library in P3Dv4 the buttons at the bottom of the screen, Cancel and OK, are below the bottom of the screen and I can't access them.  Using 125% at 1600x900 the screen fits comfortably on the screen and I can access everything.

Noel 

Ok, I was not aware of this.

Greetings, Chris