Sign in to follow this  
tandy

Differences between 777 FMC and 737?

Hey all, just a quick query, having done a fair few flights using the 777 both for long haul/short haul, I'm looking at getting used to the 737 for short haul hops, seems a waste using all that fuel in the 777 for the sake of an hour or two. Now having briefly glanced at the first tutorial for the 737 it appears that setting up the 737 is more or less identical to the 777 which makes transitioning easier, however I have noticed that the triple 7 has the ability to load a flight plan directly which I aren't sure if that is the case with 737?. Any other subtle changes or differences I should be aware of? Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by tandy

18 minutes ago, tandy said:

Hey all, just a quick query, having done a fair few flights using the 777 both for long haul/short haul, I'm looking at getting used to the 737 for short haul hops, seems a waste using all that fuel in the 777 for the sake of an hour or two. Now having briefly glanced at the first tutorial for the 737 it appears that setting up the 737 is more or less identical to the 777 which makes transitioning easier, however I have noticed that the triple 7 has the ability to load a flight plan directly which I aren't sure if that is the case with 737?. Any other subtle changes or differences I should be aware of? Thanks in advance guys.

If you mean the up link yes this is not used in the current NGX. Same goes for the winds and perf. All of these are done manually on the NGX, however you can use the company route feature to load the route you want automatically. Besides there are some extra fields in the init ref page. The most important to remember is that the NGX does not have an autotune for ILS, You need to manually enter the proper frequencies :)

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

To add to Chris' response, there are subtle differences throughout the FMS between types.  You'll run into a few when doing ETOPS flights, such as the inability to use the NG FIX pages to set an ETP waypoint (hint, add to the end of the segments on a LEGS page) and the NG will let you set an at or below speed constraint. That is pretty nifty for many SIDs out there.  NG doesn't have, in this version of software, the RTE 2 feature either.

My advice is to start at the beginning of the learning curve with the new type.  You'll see similarities along the way but this way the differences will reveal themselves, hopefully not as surprises.

Dan Downs KCRP

That is no problems, I don't have an issue with doing anything manually, at the end of the day better to know how to use it properly and not be in bother than be in bother and not know what to do.

I don't plan on doing many etops flights yet with the ngx, more than likely a few short hops to get used to the fmc and handle of the aircraft, I plan on supplementing both tutorials with Youtube video's as well before setting out on my first maiden flight. Thanks for the responses guys :)