Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Wide View Aspect or not

I have a 27"diagonal Asus monitoir (2560 x 1440 resolution).  Should I be using Wide View Aspect in Pd3v4 display settings?  I've tried it both ways and having Wide View OFF seems more realistic to me.  Of course, I have to play with the best Zoom percentage to achieve the view I like.

What kind of monitor qualifies for the Wide View setting?  Also, what are your best Zoom settings both in VC and Spot views?

I'd like to hear your opinion on these questions.

Stan

2560 x 1440 is 16 x 9, the definition of wide aspect screen.

Dan Downs KCRP

55 minutes ago, spilok said:

What kind of monitor qualifies for the Wide View setting?  Also, what are your best Zoom settings both in VC and Spot views?

WideViewAspect has nothing to do with the type of monitor you have. It determines whether the 'zoom' number relates to the width of the monitor or to the height. By default it is width, but with WideViewAsepct selected it is height. There is no difference in the projected image but because the image displays at the default zoom factor it will look different when you change the setting. If you set WideViewAspect on you can always achieve the same view as you had before by zooming in. The reverse is not true as you cannot zoom out to more that 0.3x (I am presuming P3D is the same as FSX in this regard).

Or the short answer: the only reason you would need WideViewAspect is if you cannot zoom out far enough to get the view you want.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I saw that video recently too.

at 16:9 turn Wide View on and keep your Zoom at 1.0.

The only thing you should be changing is your 'eye point' not your zoom!

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Watched the video too....I'm assuming you have to change Wide Aspect to TRUE in the P3dv4 config.   When I do that, and check wide aspect in the sim, my best setting is 0.56.  1.00 bring the VC up too close and the outside doesn't look right to me.

Stan

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, spilok said:

....I'm assuming you have to change Wide Aspect to TRUE in the P3dv4 config

There is an option to tick the box in the options drop down menue..'general..Display..

bob

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, spilok said:

1.00 bring the VC up too close and the outside doesn't look right to me.

Try setting to 1.00 and just adjusting the eyepoint.

(default settings are ctrl + Enter and ctrl + Backspace) but ultimately, use whatever zoom settings looks good for you.

• Upvote 1

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

I have wilde view on and use a zoom of 0.7 simply because this looks the best to me. A zoom of 1.0 just doesn't work for me because I hardly see anything of the cockpit and the outside view doesn't look to good. At 0.7 I can see what I want to see of the cockpit and the scenery looks nice and crips. The gauges aren't too distorted either when I look around with my TrackIR: if I zoom out more gauges become oval and you begin to get a fish eye lenses effect.

I don't really care what is the most realistic, as that video tries to explain, because, let's face it, how realistic is it to look at the world through a small box... 1.0 may be realistic when you have a 360 view around you but not on a flat 2D monitor that only shows you a very small part of that 360 view. 

Obviously it all also depends on the size of the monitor and the distance you sit from it. The linked video's are interesting but in the end I would simply pick a setting you like. After all, that's what it's all about.

I am at 1440p and Widescreen and also have the best (realistic) results with TRackIR using 0.7 in the virtual cockpit.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I have three 2550 x 1400 monitors.

I stretch the image across all three.

I have to have wide aspect view enabled or I can't see the gauges :gaul:

In the past I was using wide aspect but I was having problems with the NGX and Q400 HUD's. While taxing the HUD displays would move left and right off the HUD glass when turning. I actually put up with it for a few years and then about 1 year ago I discovered by accident that if I don't use wide aspect I don't have the problem with the HUD's

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

4 hours ago, J van E said:

I have wide view on and use a zoom of 0.7 simply because this looks the best to me. A zoom of 1.0 just doesn't work for me because I hardly see anything of the cockpit and the outside view doesn't look to good. At 0.7 I can see what I want to see of the cockpit and the scenery looks nice and crips. The gauges aren't too distorted either when I look around with my TrackIR: if I zoom out more gauges become oval and you begin to get a fish eye lenses effect.

I don't really care what is the most realistic.....

Yep ! That's what I am also using. Best setting imho !

Mike

Eureka.  I have found it.  With Wide Aspect =TRUE in the config, and Wide Aspect checked in the sim, my MAGIC number for Zoom is ...................................................................0.70.  

Thanks for all the help.  0.70 seems to give me the best of all worlds in VC, Spot, and Wing Views.

Stan

for what it's worth I use 3 monitors and use view groups ( so as not to get stretched views )I don't use nvidia surround ,or single view stretched across the three as this stretches things .3 @1920 by 1080 and views are great .I do have wideview enabled and zoom in to between .90 and .60 .I've tried many things and if you have multiple monitors and a decent Graphics card view groups are the way to go ,with wide view enabled .